Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
things i have learned (Read 2 times)
russ_g
Ex Member

things i have learned
05/18/06 at 08:57:01

After filling up - make sure you move the "petcock thingy" from reserve back to primary

Once you run out of gas on reserver - that's it

Garage shops can be helpful once you remind them they must have a gerry can of gas for their lawn mower

Gas from above shops is expensive though - 4$/litre or a Toonie for 500 ml (a Toonie is a Canadian coin)

1 litre synthetic oil containers make a good transport container for 500 ml of gas

The small amount of left over synthetic oil doesn't appear to have any adverse effects on a Savage

500 ml of gas is more than enough to get you down the street to the next gas station.

Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: things i have learned
Reply #1 - 05/18/06 at 09:00:15

Learn all of this recently, did ya?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
russ_g
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/18/06 at 09:01:16

Yes - it was a quick education.  Only took about 30 minutes of my time yesterday!  Wink

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 05/18/06 at 09:34:01

russ_g wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
After filling up - make sure you move the "petcock thingy" from reserve back to primary...........

If you move it back to PRI you'll be there again as it will drain the tank as well.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 05/18/06 at 10:29:03

Never done this (hope never to do this), but I've heard that some tanks (Savage?) have a divider that allows a little gas to remain in the tank that if you slosh around or lay the MC down on the correct side will give you a little more to ride to ??? hopefully a source of gas.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/18/06 at 10:41:10

The tank is partially divided over the frame but I think it probably depends on the backward tilt of the tank as to how much might stay in the starboard side.  I don't think it's much on the Savage.

Oh and on-topic: Don't have the chili for lunch when you wore a white shirt to work.  Some axiom of Murphy's Law will come into play.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
russ_g
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/18/06 at 11:13:51

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
If you move it back to PRI you'll be there again as it will drain the tank as well.

Not PRI or prime, but primary - can't remember how it's actually labeled on the bike.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 05/18/06 at 11:49:41

The choices on the stock petc0ck are ON, RES and PRI.  I'm assuming you mean ON.

Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 05/18/06 at 14:56:42

russ_g wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Yes - it was a quick education.  Only took about 30 minutes of my time yesterday!  Wink
You got off EASY!!

And Rob, the lay the bike on it's side to slosh the last dribbles to the left only got me a quarter mile more.  (But when you're walking a bike a quarter mile is better than nothing.)

WWW   IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #9 - 05/18/06 at 15:22:48

On a similar note, as I learned last week...

When you replace your tank with a gravity fed peanut tank with no petc0ck...know how much gas you have in it before you take off.

I also learned that when you call someone up to get you gas, that their laughter is inversely proportional to the distance you are from home.  The closer you are, the harder they'll laugh.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #10 - 05/18/06 at 16:14:21

I learned that lesson in the mid seventies when I ran out of fuel  on a Jawa. Called my dad and he said "I'll give you a ride back when you get here. Take the time to think about how you won't run out of gas in the future. I never ran out again.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #11 - 05/18/06 at 20:09:26

Might should have read this thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Oh well some lessons are best learned by experience. I havn't run out on my bike but I did alot of walking when I was 17. I had a Maverick with a bad gas gauge, a heavy fuel pedal, and a small finacial backing. :'(

WWW   IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #12 - 09/24/06 at 03:09:20

Maby im denser than most, I acomplised to run out of gas twice in a week and one of the times the misses was riding with me.... darn she didnt think that was a good idea  Grin No fuel in the middle of nowhere  ???

I have never run out of gas since that week  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:22:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › things i have learned

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.