Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie helmet question (Read 4 times)
starmom
Ex Member

Re: Newbie helmet question
Reply #15 - 05/17/06 at 16:59:21

I just bought my bike and also bought a scorpion 700 full face.  it has a swirly pattern or black, white and reflective silver ( I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW IM THERE)

I wear rx glasses that go darker in the sun, transitions lenses, i tried on many helmets with my glasses, havent had it long but so far so good.

Like the others have said, i agree with trying on many and deciding what is comfortable for you and legal in your state.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #16 - 05/17/06 at 18:36:08

starmom wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I just bought my bike and also bought a scorpion 700 full face.

The Scorpion helmets are very popular. They are quiet and have a modest price tag. The small Jafrum helmet mentioned has also gotten good user reviews on another site I read.

By all means try on helmets at the dealer, regardless of where you get your helmet. They are all shaped differently and only a few will fit you right.

I use a full face Arai. Expensive but worth it to me.

Check out Shoei and HJC. They make nice helmets too. If you want a full face I don't think you can beat Scorpion for the price.

IP Logged
LeeRider
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/17/06 at 20:35:14

Shoei RF-1000.  Full face helmet.  Nope, it's not cheap, but it's excellent.  

Investing in top quality protective gear that might save my butt (or head....same thing at times!) is a high priority for me.  As my instructor told us, "Cars have bumpers and fenders and airbags...all we've got is protective gear, so make it the best you can afford...get a cheaper bike if you have to, but get good gear"

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/17/06 at 22:35:50

I own two HJC helmets, a CL-14 and a CL-5.  Just bought a Nolan X901 on clearance from Dennis Kirk, and its a sweet helmet as well.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 05/18/06 at 05:49:46

I have an HJC AC-3 3/4 helmet and a Scorpion EXO-400 full-face helmet.  I like them both for different reasons.  I have been very impressed with the Scorpion helmets... especially for the price.  Whatever you do, try them on first.  In fact, walk around the store with it on for a bit to see how it feels.  Different makes/models fit different shapes of heads better/worse than others.  Get the one that's right for you.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #20 - 05/18/06 at 06:26:14

Another Scorpion helmet owner checking in. I have the EXO700 full face and like it a lot.

I wear prescription glasses, and it's a bit of a pain to have to take them off each time I take the helmet off or put it on, but the glasses do fit fine once I put the helmet back on. In other words, there are no pressure problems with the helmet padding around the temples and ears.

I second the idea offered above about trying on lots of sizes and models at a bike store or dealership. Fit is extremely important.

Once you find a model and size for you, order it online and save some money.

And don't feel bad about "using" the dealerships in this way. They will have plenty of opportunities to screw, er, use you in return!

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
taylorkh
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/18/06 at 13:51:13

I have a Shoei RJ Air open face helmet.  It is DOT and Snell M2000 rated.  I tried one at a local dealer (they were not very customer oriented when I was looking at bikes last year so I didn't feel too bad when) I ordered it from http://www.helmetcity.com/  It is quiet comfortable but a little loud when I open the air vents for flow through cooling - at least I am not familiar with the sound of wind rushing THROUGH my helmet.  It was $198 delivered.  About $40 less than getting it locally.

I must compliment helmetcity for their service.  I ordered it on a Monday about lunchtime, went and fetched my new '06 S40 with my truck, put it in the garage.  The helmet arrived at lunch time Wednesday in the Big Brown truck.  I had asked them if they had any faster shipping than the free standard 3 day.  The sales lady determined that she could send it UPS ground from TN to NC in 2 days and it would cost less than 3 day air shipment.

Ken

p.s. in the old days it was easier - if you wanted a good helmet you went down to your local dealer and purchased a Bell - period.  It you had a $20 head you purchased something at K-mart.  There are a lot of choices out there today although none made in the USA that I can find.  Proection and comfort are the keys.  Try before you buy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:32:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie helmet question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.