Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My new gel seat ... advice needed! (Read 2 times)
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
My new gel seat ... advice needed!
05/16/06 at 06:10:17

I put my new gel seat on Thumper last night, and rode her in to work this morning.

I did not like the ride.  Sad

The seat was nice and soft, and it looks really nice, but unfortunately I now sit a couple of inches more to the front than I did on the stock seat.

At 5' 11", I'm already a tight fit on my dear Thumper, and this extra push forward just isn't going to work for me at all.

Has anyone had experience in removing some of the gel from these things? I'm thinking my only recourse is to hack out some padding in the rear where the seat rises toward the pillion.

Otherwise, check the Marketplace section in a few days for a barely used gel seat!

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
riptide_fl
Ex Member

Re: My new gel seat ... advice needed!
Reply #1 - 05/17/06 at 05:55:50

I expierenced the same problem Tammi !  You and I are about the same height and it was unbearable riding it !...I did take the stock seat apart and took some of the foam out, that made it much more comfy...However,I hesitate to do that with the new seat !

Something else I did with my 06 S40 was turn the handlebar risers around to move the bars forward..makes for a much more comfy riding position !!

Good Luck with it ! ...john

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/17/06 at 06:57:33

Cant you raise the front part of the seat up using washers and ect (like 2 inches).??  I wouldnt cut into the seat and ect.  

Good lucks

IP Logged
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/06 at 08:36:50

Yeah, if you wanna raise the seat, use this way:

http://www.jonline.org/savage/Tips___How-to_s/Tips___Tricks/tips___tricks.html

It was easy and it helps a lot. Smiley I think in the tech section there's also some methods that use stoppers instead of washers.

IP Logged
riptide_fl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/17/06 at 09:38:44

Already have the front of mine raised almost 3 inches to get anywhere near comfortable..the problem with the gel pillow seat is what Tammi said..the back part that butts up against you is too thick, pushing you forward too much..I cut about a half inch out of the stock seat plus raised the front about 3 inches plus moved the handlebars forward about 2 inches by turning the risers around...now when I ride i'm leaning slighty forward, arms extended and my tailbone is not against the upright portion of the seat...much more comfortable !!

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #5 - 05/17/06 at 11:52:01

Maybe you should sell the seat and go for the progressive shocks.  I like the 412-4232.  Good Luck.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/06 at 12:10:59

Being 5ft 11 myself IM surprised that u dont need some legroom like forward controls.   It was by far the best mod I have ever done.  I cant explain how much more comfortable I am now.

We also raised the handlebars (buckhorns) up because they were too low.

IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #7 - 05/17/06 at 14:05:13

I've already raised the front of the seat a little, and I hope to raise it a bit more.

So, I don't think raising the front a bit more will overcome the problem with the gel seat pushing me too much forward.

I think I'll try hacking out a bit of the stock seat (which is back on my dear Thumper).

Jim_R, I like the "standard" riding position over the leg-forward "cruiser" position, so I don't think I'll be making a forward control mod. With the stock seat, I feel the bike is a good fit.

But I may change my mind about that...

I will also think about turning the risers aoround. Thanks for the tip, riptide_fl!

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:01:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My new gel seat ... advice needed!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.