Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which saddlebag supports? (Read 39 times)
LeeRider
Ex Member

Which saddlebag supports?
05/13/06 at 09:13:27

I am a new rider, and my 2000 Savage is my first ride.   I've completed the MSF and while I am waiting for my MSF certificate to arrive by mail, I'm outfitting the bike.  

I've already purchased the Willie & Max compact slant bags (Park Avenue style).

There are many posts on saddlebag supports and awkward installation/bolt head clearance concerns.   I've found at least 5 different supports on the market, and don't know which ones people like best:

1. OEM Suzuki older LS650 version 99950-70145
2. OEM Suzuki newer S40 version 990A0-75036
3. Highway Hawk
4. Ledrie basic version
5. Ledrie fancy version with what appear to be fender protection plates?

Highway Hawk

Ledrie Supports  

Which ones have you used?  Which ones are best and why?

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Which saddlebag supports?
Reply #1 - 05/13/06 at 22:38:32

I have the 99950-70145 on my 97.  Bought them on ebay.

They attach to the middle and rear fender rail bolts. They seem to be very good quality - strong supports with a nice chrome finish.  I think they are over priced, though.  

On my bike, the fender is much closer to the tire on the left side than the right.  I don't know if this is because the wheel is not centered in the frame or the fender is not centered over the wheel. Anyway, after I installed the supports the left center bolt rubbed the tire. I tried grinding down the bolt head.  It still rubbed when it was less than half the original thickness.  So I found a button head allen bolt and raised the shocks to their highest settings. As best I can tell, this has worked.  

I don't think you'll find many people who have used more than one of these supports.  Once you get it to fit, you just leave it alone.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
LeeRider
Ex Member

Re: Which saddlebag supports?
Reply #2 - 05/13/06 at 23:07:08

Steve, thanks very much for the reply.  I believe your story was one of the ones I read regarding the difficulty of the bolts rubbing.  Mine seems like I have plenty of clearance on both sides between the fender and stock tire.

Yeah, I realize most people would not swap out a saddle support to try a different one, unless they could not get it to fit.  I was hoping that perhaps someone might have had experience (good or bad) with the Ledrie or Highway Hawk.  The HH is around $40, the Ledrie's are $60 and $90.   The HH and cheaper Ledrie seem to attach slightly differently.  That might be good or bad?  The photos don't show the flat straps that mount underneath the fender like the OEM one.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:25:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Which saddlebag supports?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.