LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: another carb prob
05/07/06 at 17:06:52

Opened baffle?  So you still have the stock muffler?  If so, then you still have a lot of restriction in the exhaust system.  The backfiring issue is a pilot jet/adjustment issue.  It has nothing to do with the spacer or main jet.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #1 - 05/07/06 at 19:02:55

I'm having similar problems, posted a while ago under "odd idle".  After installing a sportymuff and K\N I made standard changes and had spit'n'sput black smoke and bad idle.  With the jetting back to stock I was still rich and the engine idled best with the idle screw full closed,  so I have gone to a 50 pilot.  Now it is running good but I get backfires coming off the gas and it will still run with idle screw full closed.  I may try a 47.5 pilot next as I'm waiting to get to the point that I need to be 1 1/2 out on the idle mix.
Everyones jetting can't be the same and be right.  Temperature, humidity, altitude are all very different for us all and these things greatly effect jetting.  
Good luck and keep us informed
Bob

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ohiokid
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/07/06 at 20:35:41

oh and yeah i seen your post  it was the nearest post to what im having , past few days i`ve covered all 97 pages thinking maybe i was missing something , i`ve jetted and mod  several v twin and inline 4`s with no problems  , thought maybe with the big single cyl there was a trick or i was doing something wrong .
like i said this is my first thumper and i was shocked at the low end power they have , and after fabbing up a drag style set of bars today out of a piece of solid s/s round stock with the added weight and straight grip balance is unreal and no vibrations  
well i`ll shut up now i just love this little thumper ,, so much in fact  i sold my inline 4 honda and my wife put dibs on this one , telling me if i ever get another bike this one is hers!!!!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/08/06 at 19:44:26

Well done.

ohiokid wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
problem solved !!!!   changed the float needle turned out it was leaking just enough that while at idle for a while would throw everything out of wack i checked it and the float level before seemed fine but was just seeping enough to throw the mix off,, load up and make the sometimes black smoke then no black smoke  and the crazy  high or low idle with out touching anything .
switched to 155 main and  55 pilot  3/4 out with no problems , pulled  rubber snokel out of air box opened it up,, k-n filter and open ex        thanks for everyones advice and help !!!     runs great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/08/06 at 19:50:45

Bob,

I am thinking you have crud in your carb, and perhaps a faulty needle valve like Ohiokid had.  You have changed your pilot jet at least twice so far and it is running with the adj screw full closed...it is not supposed to do that.  Something is definitely screwed up in there.  You need to dismember this puppy and go through it with the proverbial "fine toothed comb".  Check all jets...clear all passages...insure all gaskets are good...etc.  You need to rebuild it.

If you are moderately competent at tinkering, you can do it in an afternoon.

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'm having similar problems, posted a while ago under "odd idle".  After installing a sportymuff and K\N I made standard changes and had spit'n'sput black smoke and bad idle.  With the jetting back to stock I was still rich and the engine idled best with the idle screw full closed,  so I have gone to a 50 pilot.  Now it is running good but I get backfires coming off the gas and it will still run with idle screw full closed.  I may try a 47.5 pilot next as I'm waiting to get to the point that I need to be 1 1/2 out on the idle mix.
Everyones jetting can't be the same and be right.  Temperature, humidity, altitude are all very different for us all and these things greatly effect jetting.  
Good luck and keep us informed
Bob

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 05/08/06 at 19:54:25

problem solved !!!!   changed the float needle turned out it was leaking just enough that while at idle for a while would throw everything out of wack

What did you change exactly? swap the needle or modify it or adjust the white spacer size?

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: another carb prob (solved)
Reply #6 - 05/09/06 at 23:52:05

Thanks Lancer,
 I've gone through the several times with cleaners and air but, I didn't get the needle jet out.  I didn't fall out when I pulled the main and I didn't have the clymer's yet , so I couldn't figure how to pull it.  I believe I just have to push it gently from the top after removing the main?  I will also replace the float needle (if I understand OhioKid correctly that solved his problem).
 Anyway I'm do'in the oil plug repair this weekend and will try these ideas too.
 This bike had been sitting a while before I bought it.  "Bikes don't wear out, they die of neglect."
 So nice to have a place to share ideas.  I hope in the future to be more help than bother.
 Bob

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: another carb prob (solved)
Reply #7 - 05/10/06 at 12:56:36

s dont know if its because its sooooo ugly with the rat bike effect  i`ve added  or people just cant figure out what it is or dont wanna know !!!

need a picture!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: another carb prob (solved) ok bike pics
Reply #8 - 05/10/06 at 19:30:21

Looks nice man!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 05/10/06 at 23:30:22

OhioKid,
 Your problem sounds very similar to mine.  I'll try the float needle as soon as I can.  Really looking forward to getting past this one!
 Great looking bike you have!  I think the the black bars fit the theme nicely.  Very gothic!
 Bob

IP Logged
Don Steel
YaBB Newbies

East Yorkshire, Great Britain
Reply #10 - 05/11/06 at 05:29:59

thanks lancer.

maybe calling my bike a ugly rat bike wasnt quite right!!!

check out these true rat bikes

http://www.ratbike.org/

Nice bike man!! Like the headlight and the bars.
Its far too nice to be a rat bike. The bikes we get at some of the rallies here in britain that fall into that category generally have more rust than the Titanic and they have masked off the headlight lens and sprayed every part of the bike with a rattle can flat black!! Undecided
Like something out of Mad Max 2!! Grin

If you look at some of the Rallies on the above rat bike website, the "Farmyard Party" is one of my regulars as it's not far down the road from me! Great fun!!

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/11/06 at 05:47:42

yeah I love the flat black.  I think it looks really great too.  No rat bike there.  I cant believe u made those bars.  They are awesome. Great work.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 05/11/06 at 08:25:25

bad part do not raise up when working or cleaning your bike and hit solid bars they do not move and leave a rather nice gash !!!!

Ouch! I bet!

Very impressive.  I agree; it's flat - not rat.  It looks very good.  Eventually I'd like something similar though I think I want a tall sissybar and short/medium apes.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 05/11/06 at 10:23:22

thanks lancer.

maybe calling my bike a ugly rat bike wasnt quite right!!!

check out these true rat bikes

http://www.ratbike.org/

looks good but no rat.  add some dirt and don't do such a good job w/ the spray paint!  & loose the crud like the blinkers...

Whatever... Looks good!

Anyone know who's rat this is?     Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 05/11/06 at 10:36:03

Hehe, had to chain it to a tree to keep it from bitin' passersby, huh?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 05:17:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: another carb prob

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.