Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Good Vibrations? (Read 12 times)
Guido
Ex Member

Good Vibrations?
05/09/06 at 19:19:09

I've put a few hundred miles on my 05 S40 now, mostly around town( under 45mph). This evening I went for a short jaunt to the convience store which included a 55 zone. So I get up to speed and it starts to vibrate pretty good at 50 and got worse up to 60 so I backed off. Felt it mostly in the grips, buzzed my hands a good bit, and somewhat less in the seat of the pants. Is this normal? Or should I have the tires checked for balance? I couldn't really be sure if it was engine vibration. Is there a speed zone where this is common and then evens out?( harmonics) The only thing I have changed is the rear shock setting. It was set at 1 when I bought it and last week I put it to 3 which the manual says is the factory setting. Front tire 29psi rear 33psi. Any Ideas?

IP Logged
dunk
Ex Member

Re: Good Vibrations?
Reply #1 - 05/09/06 at 21:13:23

Hi!  It just so happens that about this time last week, I asked about an extreme "rattle", as I called it, every time I passed 50mph.  Maybe it's the same problem you have.  
Several replies suggested tightening the 3 speedometer mounting screws.
You have to remove the gas tank to get to them on its underside.  They said it was easy to do.  If you've never done this before, here's what I found on my '99 Savage.
After you remove the seat and the screws under the seat holding the tank to the frame, disconnect the rubber hose to the fuel valve and the small rubber spring-covered hose directly behind it.  
Plus, loosen the speedometer connector (nut at bottom of larger spring covered tubing on the right side of the bike).  
Now you can get the tank loose to get to its underside.  You might hit a snag when the fuel valve wants to jam up against a rigid brass tube, but when I called a mechanic at our Suzuki dealer, he said to wrestle it any way I needed to in order to get the tank loose.  
I found only 1 of the 3 screws loose, but tightening it made a noticeable difference.
I also found that putting it back together was a lot easier than getting it apart.  Wink
Hint: A second person to hold the tank while tightening the screws would have been handy.   Smiley
Good luck from this "Lady Rider"
dunk

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/09/06 at 21:25:08

Guido wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Is this normal? Or should I have the tires checked for balance?

maybe - the savage does get a little buzz going at higher rpms for sure - single cylinder - but neither of mine do it until much faster than 55 - up around 70 it's there. on the tire balance - you bet! - at least see if the front is at all - neither the '95 or '02 was.

"but" your idea and mine or normal buzz maybe different

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 05/09/06 at 21:47:01

The local dealer said people were returning Savages because of excessive vibration, and I thought "well, DUH!  It's a Thumper!"  When I got Thumper I was rather surprised at the low level of vibration -- Suzuki did a great job on counterbalancing.  Then I ran my finger thru the table saw and for a couple of months I could not allow that finger to touch Thumper -- the vibrations *HURT*.

What you need to do is swap Savages with someone to see how each other bike behaves.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 05/10/06 at 05:44:47

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
What you need to do is swap Savages with someone to see how each other bike behaves.

Sounds like a good excuse for a Savage rally!

Also,  WTF?  on people returning savages?????????????

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/10/06 at 06:02:39

You said that the few hundred miles you have so far have been below 45 mph around town.  Now you get up to 55+ and the vibration concerns you.  

*Note:  This is entirely NORMAL for a big single.  Spend some time on the highway and get acquainted with the way the bike runs and handles.  You are just fine...ride and enjoy.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/10/06 at 06:05:51

you can always get new grips like I did.  It took 99% of the vibration away.

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/10/06 at 15:24:52

I appreciate the replies.
No Way am I getting rid of it!! Never crossed my mind!! I understand there is going to be vibration and have gotten used to it around town. I love to be sitting at a stop light and watch the mirrors shake! Grin
It didn't seem like a little buzz in the bars. It was more than that. It was like holding on to a 652cc weedeater!!
I'll try it again on a longer stretch to diagnose a little better.
I have been thinking of the grips 911radioman put on his. They make a new version with flames that would match the bike better but don't look as cushy.
Also there are NO WEIGHTS on the front wheel and a HUGE ONE on the back. Could be the front one EH?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 05/10/06 at 15:54:17

need to balance that front - you can do an ok job your self with the wheel on the bike and a 1/2 oz chrome spoke weight as long as the brake doesn't drag at all - but by far it's best to pull the wheel and have it done on a machine

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/10/06 at 18:12:09

I'm  going to have it checked at the dealer this week. Too bad there isn't anyone close I know with an S40 for comparison. Sad

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/10/06 at 19:30:45

My bike rattles and vibrates at 90 mph in fourth gear, shifting into fifth smooths it out.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #11 - 05/11/06 at 16:11:30

And, just to throw in another interesting, and somewhat weird, point into the vibration discussion...

Ever since I put the apes on the savage...I don't notice the vibration as bad in the handgrips.  I was warned by a lot of people that the vibration would be worse...but now I don't even notice it, whereas before it would be enough to annoy me.  And no, I'm not even going to try to explain it.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/11/06 at 16:34:16

On my bike the vibes start up just north of 60 and continues at least to 75 (I'll need to go faster to see if it backs down). It's a thumper, not a freeway cruiser - if I had to do that, I'd go 65, which would be fine, with a fairing.

I have a Honda XR650R to compare it with. It's another thumper, but water cooled, and for dirt riding. I dual-sported it to make it street legal. Its vibration is worse but more constant - it too has a balance shaft.

All in all, both bikes are just fine, for a thumper!!!

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #13 - 05/11/06 at 16:49:11

The only really noticeable vibration/wobble I had was within the first couple hundred miles, and it worsened each time out over 50mph, in the front end.  Ended up being a loose pinch bolt on the front wheel ,  dang teenage assemblers at the stealership!!

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/11/06 at 18:27:16

A loose pinch bolt? That doesn't sound safe at all!!! Could you tell me where it is so I can check mine? I'm assuming at the bottom of the forks? Is it something I can put a wrench on to check or does it take a special tool?
I had the bike up to 50 the day after I got it and don't recall it having this kind of vibration. You may be on to something here. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 13:42:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Good Vibrations?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.