Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cold Natured! (Read 5 times)
Bobster
Ex Member

Cold Natured!
05/05/06 at 11:51:35

What makes a motor cold natured? Is it carbs? Spark plug not hot enough? My FI bikes dont need 5 or 10 mins to warm up. I dont know much about carbs but can someone shine some light over here?

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Cold Natured!
Reply #1 - 05/05/06 at 11:59:09

Neither of my carbed MC's need 5-10 minutes to warm up even in cold weather. They are running smoothly after long enough for me to get situated, put on my helmet and gloves, look around, check to make sure the engine is running correctly, set the choke (enrichener) if the temperature is cold out and go. This can't be more than two minutes. After a short period of time maybe less than a mile, no matter what the temperature is outside I put the choke to off and ride. My in-line four is a little bit more cold blooded than the Savage, but most days I could easily start the Savage with no choke and go. Personally I don't ride my MC's hard, so since the first couple of minutes is neighborhood riding, I suppose it could be considered an elongated warm up.

IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #2 - 05/05/06 at 14:02:45

Last weekend, I rejetted the carb on my 2005 S40, putting in a 152.5 main, reducing the white spacer by half, and resetting the mixture screw to 1.5 to 2 turns out (I'm still playing with it).

Now that she runs richer, I can start her up without choking. And that says something, since the last few mornings it's been between 30-40 degrees F.

So, if Thumper was cold natured before ... she ain't now!

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 05/05/06 at 14:25:25

The short answer is yes it's the carb. Your fuel injected bike allows you to take off as soon as it is started. Sensors and an integrated ignition mapping allow for this.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/05/06 at 19:01:28

Mine is just as cold natured after rejetting as it was before rejetting... it just don't like temps below about 45 degrees!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/07/06 at 08:51:52

The only reason to delay for a minute or two, is to give the engine time to circulate the oil enough so that all parts are freshly coated before a load is applied.  Within that minute or so it really does not matter whether the carb needs a little choke or not...it is all about the oil.  A fuel injected engine will run perfectly from the moment it is started so you really would not know if it was cold or warm based upon the way it runs.  Just let the oil circulate and then go.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:08:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold Natured!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.