Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rickko's inexpensive bike lift (Read 15 times)
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Rickko's inexpensive bike lift
05/04/06 at 00:37:27

I am planning to make Rickko's bike lift instead of buying an expensive one. You can find the details here

http://www.geocities.com/reliopoulos/lift.html

or here

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

for example.

Do you think the size of the wooden piece given by Rickko (4"*8") will be enough to lift a custom Savage?

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Re: Rickko's inexpensive bike lift
Reply #1 - 05/04/06 at 02:39:26

This is great, but has been posted many times.  

Just look at it to get the idea, but it doesn't need to be exactly like it.  I built mine entirely out of 2X4 including the handle.  Just added a board after I put on new shocks.  A wider resting area make it a bit more difficult to raise, but more stable once you get it up.  You can use 3 boards if you get the height just right.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 05/04/06 at 08:27:49

This is already listed in the Tech Ref forum.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #3 - 05/04/06 at 12:05:13

Thank you for the answers.
I ordered the wooden piece this day, they only have 2" x 4" so I will have to double the layers.
I have checked the other lists but haven't seen if the original size of the lifter fits exactle under the Savage that's what I asked for that.

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 05/04/06 at 12:12:09

I noted "I was unable to locate any 4x8's near me but I used two lengths of 2x8 pressure treated pine and lag-bolted them together. " in that topic.
However, if you increase the length of your shocks, you'll need to modify the lift accordingly.  When I replaced my stock shocks with 12.5" Progressive Suspension shocks, I had to add a 2x4 to one end to compensate.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #5 - 05/07/06 at 23:35:34

I made it!

It fits well under the bike and lifts it up well enough. I am proud of myself   8)

It cost me only 5$ (I got the metal bar from a friend for free) and it took about 2 hours to make it. I had to fix together the two boards but that was no problem with 6 pcs of 4" bolts.

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #6 - 05/08/06 at 07:31:06

Oh, what I would give to have pictures of my stepfather's bike lift! He fashioned it himself out of a construction-grade I-beam and a couple of hydraulic shocks. Very nice. Lifts the bike (even his C90T) up to chest-level. He uses standard ratcheting tie-downs to hold the bike upright. It's almost the same effect as the ones in the bike mechanic's shop.

If you have a plasma cutter and access to some steel I-beam, the shocks would be the only thing you'd have to spend money on. Granted, it depends on where you buy them as to how much money you'd have to spend.

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:19:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rickko's inexpensive bike lift

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!