YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
odd idle
04/30/06 at 11:50:15

Hi All,  
I did the kn filter/ sportser muffler mods and am working out the jetting.  I'm at 2500ft in hot dry tucson az and the standard jetting mods (152main/half spacer)aren't working for me  (smoking, stumbling, fouling!).  I'm back to stock jetting/spacing now and I think it is better but not right.  
The really odd thing is the idle mix screw.  I get a better idle the more I turn it in!  Full closed is the highest and smoothest, should kill the engine shouldn't it?  With stock jetting I get best idle between 3/4 out and full closed, past 1 1/4 out it will barely run.
 I've cleaned and blown out all passages and jets, slide is smooth and diaphram is good.  choke is working and the small decel valve and diaphram are good too.
 Should a fully closed idle mix screw kill the engine?  I can't figure what I have wrong.  Anyone else had a similar problem? Any ideas?
Thanks
Bob

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: odd idle
Reply #1 - 04/30/06 at 17:09:00

Sounds like you're too rich to me.  Maybe your elevation is going to cause you to rejet differently than the majority of Savage owners.

IP Logged
Gramps
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/30/06 at 18:00:19

Check the float level, & make sure you put the washer under the main jet when you changed it.
                                  Gramps

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #3 - 04/30/06 at 19:27:11

When I did my mixture screw adjustment I ran it all the way in and the bike ran for a while (while I was reading the instructions by Lancer) then shut off. Must have been running on gas in the bowl. Not a carb wiz myself but there are some here who are. Just hang tight and one of them will gladly help all they can.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 05/01/06 at 05:17:31

Just to be sure, you are talking about the idle mixture (pilot) adjustment on the right side of the carb... not the idle speed on the left side of the bike.  Is that correct?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 05/01/06 at 08:02:32

Try putting the petc0ck to prime.  What size did you get?

On my 38mm, It idles like crap if I don't put it on prime.  I forget where I have my PMS set to, but the idel screw is maybe 1 turn out...

Still haven't tgot the top end dialed in yet...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/01/06 at 12:28:52

I have the stock carb w/ stock jetting (145main-52.5pilot).  Checked for main jet washer and float level is about 3/8" from top of bowl.  Yes, I'm referring to the idle mixture screw on the right (muffler) side of the bike.
There is also a slight hitch when running at a steady speed under about 50mph.  Is that that the pilot jet?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/08/06 at 22:24:38

I went to a 50.0 pilot and the idle still runs best at full closed on the mix screw.  It will still idle out to 1 1/4 fairly smooth, but the low range running has some surge so I think I may now be a little lean on the pilot....  But the idle screw still puzzles me.
 Question?  Is it normal that the bike will run with the idle screw turned full in?  I thought it should die.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 05/08/06 at 22:30:35

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
There is also a slight hitch when running at a steady speed under about 50mph.  Is that that the pilot jet?

Pilot Jet & Slow Mixture Screw- 0 -> 1/8 throttle

Needle & Needle Jet -  1/8 -> 3/4 throttle

Main Jet -  3/4 -> full throttle

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 11:50:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › odd idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!