Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: 570 miles in one day
Reply #15 - 05/02/06 at 07:23:47

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Speak for you own Savage...mine will purr at 85 as long as it has gas in it.  In 5th gear at 85 it is approaching the power peak and pulls strongly past 95, hits 100 and then rolls just past that a bit +/- depending on how it is feeling that day.

I thought that's what he was saying in response to the post he quoted that said not to let a Harley run her at 85 all day.  To me it read like:
You're right to be concerned about UV causing radiation damage to your skin but don't be concerned about the Savage running 85 all day.

Maybe I read it wrong.  In any case, mine will do 85 for hours on end in 100+ temperatures though I did stop every 85 miles or so for fuel and then took an hour for lunch, etc.  Nowadays with the Amal carb I don't get quite the same mileage but better response and power.  While I get about 52 MPG at 55-65 MPH, it drops to about 40-45 MPG when I get past about 75 MPH.  That said, I'd probably kick back at 60-65 MPH and enjoy the ride knowing my mileage was 20% better.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 05/02/06 at 09:01:57

I'm getting about 37.5 mpg w/ my 38 mm VM.  Something very wrong still...

uh, off topic

IP Logged
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/02/06 at 12:30:21

So glad to know that everyone is giving me the thumbs up on this trip. If you're wondering, we're riding out to Carlsbad Caverns and then up into Cloudcroft. Should be an awesome ride.

Luckily we're going to take mostly farm to markets (just for fun), so I don't think I'll have to worry about running 85 or 90 the whole time, but isn't good to know that on such a small bike you could if you wanted to?

Still looking at putting new bars and iso's on...eh, I don't know if I'll get around to that. Oh well. Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 05/03/06 at 06:59:52

guitarsr4girls2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
So glad to know that everyone is giving me the thumbs up on this trip. If you're wondering, we're riding out to Carlsbad Caverns and then up into Cloudcroft. Should be an awesome ride.

Luckily we're going to take mostly farm to markets (just for fun), so I don't think I'll have to worry about running 85 or 90 the whole time, but isn't good to know that on such a small bike you could if you wanted to?

Still looking at putting new bars and iso's on...eh, I don't know if I'll get around to that. Oh well. Smiley

So where's your starting point?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:34:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 570 miles in one day

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.