Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: What gives?
Reply #15 - 05/08/06 at 06:47:18

Try moving the shifter arm on the splined shaft a couple splines, part #34. If you are having trouble upshifting move it clockwise, trouble downshifting go counterclockwise. Had to adjust it on my '02 cause it would "stick" going into first from neutral.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #16 - 07/31/07 at 10:55:43

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
My 97 has a false neautral between 4th and 5th.  Not so much grinding.  Usually I make the 4->5 shift by

1)  pulling in  the  clutch.
2)  Toeing the shifter up and holding it there
3) release clutch

works for me

This is my exact scenario. Not always a neutral between 4-5, but sometimes. lots of shifting and holding up of the shifter, to get it into 5th.

So, is there any adjustments that have been made to correct this?

WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #17 - 07/31/07 at 11:28:42

The grind happens on my '95 occasionally when I try to shift from 4th to 5th and sometimes even into 6th gear.  Cheesy I always Keep trying shift up thinking I'm not into 5th gear yet, very annoying.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 07/31/07 at 11:58:54

Mine does this particularly when I'm low on oil.  Did I say low?  I meant not to the top.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #19 - 07/31/07 at 12:09:07

not to the top, as in the top line, or as in, the top of the looking glass?  Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 07/31/07 at 21:38:37

It has always been kinda Notchy going into 5th on the 05 model. Either it has gotten a bit better or I just dont notice it as much now. Have you guys tried a clutchless shift? I wonder if all that clutchl;ess shifting I did smoothed it out? What mine did wasnt so much grind going into 5th, tho I think it did a couple of times, I just thot I missed the shift. I did get to making a point of shifting it "Smartly" into gear. A quick toe, like when a clutchless shift is made. When I am very decisive, I never have a problem. When I am thinking too much, I can have problems.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #21 - 08/01/07 at 06:42:40

My 05 was stiff going into 5th until I went to my normal way of shifting up and down from 1st-5th and 5th- 2nd, no clutch. After a month or so I happened to go back to a few shifts with a clutch and it works fine. I think it just needed the edges smoothed off like Justin-o-guy said.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #22 - 08/01/07 at 07:38:24

Mine is the same between 1st and 2nd, sometimes it doesn't go in so I use the "hold it up till I let the clutch out" method. Mine's an "87 with 17000 miles. Same as Verslargen1, if the oil gets a bit lower than the bottom mark it gets worse.

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 08/01/07 at 11:37:56

Five_Points wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
not to the top, as in the top line, or as in, the top of the looking glass?  Shocked

Yup, top line.  When there, 5th goes right in weather she's clutched or not.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #24 - 08/01/07 at 16:36:17

what's fifth?

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #25 - 08/01/07 at 17:57:48

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
It has always been kinda Notchy going into 5th on the 05 model. Either it has gotten a bit better or I just dont notice it as much now.  I did get to making a point of shifting it "Smartly" into gear. A quick toe, like when a clutchless shift is made. When I am very decisive, I never have a problem. When I am thinking too much, I can have problems.

Ditto on the snappy shift. If I hesitate, it drags. I rolled to 3400 today on my 2006 model. Maybe a few more thou will clean her up...  Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #26 - 08/01/07 at 18:41:03

Just as a "good news" post for you guys, i'm at 22000 miles and to be honest, just need to get stiff clutch springs...or shims.   I have a brand new transmission for the bike sitting on the floor next to me, waiting to be installed if i sense a real issue.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #27 - 08/02/07 at 19:12:26

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I was on my way home today and out of nowhere I have to shift into and out of 5th in two stages. For example...Pull in clutch, shift up. Release clutch, grinding. Pull in clutch, shift up. Release clutch, in 5th. Same process going down to 4th. After the first time I just double shifted with the clutch pulled in to avoid the grind. Shifter seemed like it was going a little too far south also. Any Ideas?

On a savage or your Harley? Confused here...

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:18:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What gives?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.