Send Topic Print
Spark Knock... Oh No!! (Read 20 times)
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Spark Knock... Oh No!!
06/27/07 at 16:24:02

Hi everyone, I'm a new member.

My wife just bought a 2001 Savage with about 20,000 miles, and it definitely makes a noise if I lug it a little during acceleration. Could it be spark knock? I did a search real quick on this forum to try and find out if it is a known problem, but I couldn't find much.

Here is what I do know about the bike. I just adjusted to valves to spec last night, and while doing so I noticed a significant carbon buildup on the piston. So much so that some came out on the screw driver that I used to find TDC. The bike still has the gas that the previous owner had in it, so I don't know what octane it is. The spark plug electrodes did not show any signs of burning too hot, no yellow discoloration or "blistering" and in fact it was somewhere between dark brown and grayish-black son I'm inclined to think that the carb jetting is probably close to correct.

Do any of you guys/girls that have been riding the Savage for a while have any experience with or words of wisdom for what I'm seeing (hearing)?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Singles are second only to Opposed Twins
  IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Spark Knock... Oh No!!
Reply #1 - 06/27/07 at 16:30:41

I have experienced the same thing but I do not think it is pre- ignition - rather I thought it was the engine balance compensator trying to keep up with the crank when the crank was turning to slow.

A 10 miles run on the highway at 60 mph will clear that carbon out of the engine - and give you a better idea of what is going on inside the engine by getting that spark plug to run at full engine temperatures. The plug should be fawny brown - there is a trick on the plug too - only put one bolt on the side cover on the left side - that way you can swing it out and with a bit of wiggling get your spark plug out without having to pull the gas tank.

The solution to the knocking is simply not to run the engine rpms so low - this is not a harley and it does not have a massive flywheel to keep it turning over.

Good luck with it

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/27/07 at 22:55:20

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:45:57 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Beatduck
Alliance Member

Spleen tingling fun!

Sarasota, FL
Reply #3 - 06/27/07 at 23:07:34

I thing I might have done that. (Not tightening that bolt enough)
I was getting at the front of the engine covers to clean them up.

I check that tomorrow.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/27/07 at 23:12:14

I agree with  Polar_Pilot,  except I took those stupid covers off completely.
Also, don't be tempted to set the idle speed too low like some folks like.  I like the sound that way too, but the savage don't like it.  It's hard on the top end, not enough oil pumping up there.
And... one more 2 center.  A lot of harley guys I know swear by 1oz. per gallon of marvel mystery oil in the gas to clear carbon.  Not all the time, just if think it could use it.
O.K. one more, cause I'm bored...  Somebody here posted pics of a carboned up piston that ran on high test, then showed the same engine with more miles on it and way less carbon using regular.  I believe it because this is a low tech, low compression motor.  High test isn't better or faster gas, it just has an anti-knock additive in it that slows combustion for high compression engines.  I'm gonna' get in trouble for that one.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 06/28/07 at 03:08:21

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
 I'm gonna' get in trouble for that one.

No, you don't!
Idle RPM: 1000 - 1200 ( mine is closer to 1200)

High compression - High octane
Low compression - Low octane

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Reply #6 - 06/28/07 at 04:26:10

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll check that bolt tonight. Does anyone have any information on what the compression really is on these bikes? I won't even touch the high octane vs. low octane discussion, 'cause it turns ugly early. It really sounds like pre-ignition... I can make it do it by just lugging the engine a little like if I don't give it quite enough throttle when letting out the clutch. If it's not spark knock, and it turns out not the be the bolt that Dr_Jim referred to, any other ideas?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 06/28/07 at 05:39:14

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
High test isn't better or faster gas, it just has an anti-knock additive in it that slows combustion for high compression engines.

It not only reduces preignition in high compression engines, it reduces preignition in high temperatures.  Once it gets above 95° F here, I switch to high octane because I never know when it'll be 100°+.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/28/07 at 05:56:50

I have a Moto Guzzi, pretty high compression. Recommended fuel is High test. The man who owns the place I bought it told me I could run regular, just dont let it knock. All ya gotta do is not lug it. My 650 will make a clattering sound IF I lug it. If you are getting that noise, the problem isnt fuel, its driving style. The engine wont last as long (imo) if that RPM & load are allowed to continue. More RPM & it goes away, so rev it up & go, dont let it clatter. Sure, check bolts, always a good idea, Run high octane when the temp goes high. But that noise at low speeds is bad news IMO.
I know the sound you are talking about. I used to hear it some when the bike was new. Either I learned to ride it & not make it happen, or once it broke in good, it didnt want to do it so easily, I dont know, but I very rarely hear that sound now. When O do I clutch quickly & rev it & go.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #9 - 06/28/07 at 06:54:33

carbon build up will promote pinging as will higher engine temps, especially for those of us that see 100* F deg on a daily basis  8), clean carbon out and/or run premium. a thumper SHOULD be able to pull low rpms. jmo

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Reply #10 - 06/28/07 at 12:28:50

That's just it. It's not just if I try to make it knock, it does it under hard acceleration also. Now, you have to remember that this bike is not mine, it's my wifes. It must be a funny sight to see me on the bike as I'm 6'-3" and weigh about 290lbs. Lets just say that she is considerably smaller than me, so if the knocking is a result of my weight on the bike, it may not be a huge problem. But, I can guarantee that she will be spending time in the wrong gear, as this is her starter bike. If running a higher octane to prevent pre-ignition works, that is what I'm going to do. It just worries me that the bike has such a hard time pulling me without making a lot of extra noise. Are there any other failures that I might be concerned with that start out sounding like spark knock?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/28/07 at 13:14:26

I know you have no tach, but how far off idle is it when you are accelerating>? Is this a full throttle punch or just rolling on with "gusto"? If you are rolling 25 mjph in 5th gear & hit the gas, its liable to argue about that, in fact, I dont nail it under 45 or better in fifth & usually shift to 4th if I am gonna play hard with it. I dont mind rolling on at 40 or so, but I wont just open it up. I weigh just under 140. The book says 30 mph in 5th, but it feels like its lugging if its not perfectly level ground.

IP Logged
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Reply #12 - 06/28/07 at 14:43:30

To be a little more specific; if I'm accelerating like I pulled out in front of someone, from a dead stop, running through the gears from first through fifth, gear shifts when the rate of acceleration drops, give it a good whack to continue accelerating, it knocks. The knock goes away when one of two things happen; I reach the speed I want to go or I let off the throttle (a little) and accelerate slower. This is definately not a shifting too soon issue, but I'm not trying to wring it's neck either.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 06/28/07 at 15:04:39

That don't sound normal for this bike at all.  Maybe you have so much carbon built up, it has raised your compression?  Maybe try some fuel additive to clean out the carbon?

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #14 - 06/28/07 at 15:23:33

Richard_M wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
To be a little more specific; if I'm accelerating like I pulled out in front of someone, from a dead stop, running through the gears from first through fifth, gear shifts when the rate of acceleration drops, give it a good whack to continue accelerating, it knocks. The knock goes away when one of two things happen; I reach the speed I want to go or I let off the throttle (a little) and accelerate slower. This is definately not a shifting too soon issue, but I'm not trying to wring it's neck either.

What octane are you using?  Is it too high?   What's in your tank....

The other day I saw that the price of gas went down in the area and I said, oh he11 lets be nice and put the next grade up from crap in.  Big mistake, knocked on hard acceleration.  Burnt that tank and put low octane in.  Wow, no knock..

Put some 87 in and I bet it goes away.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:14:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spark Knock... Oh No!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.