Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
replacing front brakes (Read 2 times)
bones2953
Ex Member

replacing front brakes
04/24/06 at 14:25:03

Is it hard to replace the front pads.  am no techie and i know the dealer will sock-it-to-me. Any detailed help would be awesome.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Re: replacing front brakes
Reply #1 - 04/24/06 at 19:08:32

Just take the front wheel off and you can tell by looking how to change the pads. Make sure you do not pull the front brake lever while the wheel is off!!! Take some vise grips and compress the caliper a little, put in the new pads, replace the front wheel, and "pump" the front brake lever. (Don't be alarmed if the brake lever is mushy the first two or three pumps). That's it.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #2 - 04/25/06 at 09:44:15

While you have the front brake and wheel off, you might want to take a piece of scrap wood and temporarily srtap it between the brake lever and the grip.  I have one that I rounded off so that one end matches the curve of the grip.  I use velcro ties on it, and that makes sure I, or someone else, don't accidently grab the brake.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/25/06 at 10:29:50

Piece of cake.  Just did my front ones yesterday.  You loosen the pad bolt, then remove the caliper bolts, remove caliper, then remove the pad bolt and pads.  

One thing maybe worth mentioning, the Clymer manual does recommend when compressing the piston to remove the master cylinder cover.  I did find that I could not compress the piston all the way until I did that.  If you do have to go that route, be prepared to remove a little brake fluid to keep it from overflowing when compressing the piston.  I just used a little syringe and took a little out, then was able to put the piston in its original resting position.

Make sure you put a little brake pad grease on the back of the pad to prevent squeaks and squeals.  Some riders I've talked to don't mind squeals... personally I hate them!  Grin

IP Logged
bones2953
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/25/06 at 10:36:10

thanks alot for the info. here i go!

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/25/06 at 11:15:59

When you go to reassemble everything, you'll have to push down on the new pads to get the pad bolt back through the holes in the pads.  There's little springs down inside the caliper so make sure you don't lose them.  Good luck!

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/25/06 at 14:22:17

Why in the world would take the front wheel off?? ???

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/25/06 at 15:26:43

The front wheel does not have to be taken off to change brake pads.

IP Logged
bones2953
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/25/06 at 19:09:14

lots different info on the brake replacement thing, now i'm nervous

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/25/06 at 19:24:17

Trust me, I quoted you from Clymer's.  Anybody who pulls the front wheel to swap brake pads is doing it the hard way.  Don't sweat it, do as I described and you'll be done in, oh, 45 minutes or so seeing as its your first time.

Take your time, inspect things as you disassemble, and let that extra time spent teach you about your bike.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/25/06 at 19:26:27

bones2953 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
lots different info on the brake replacement thing, now i'm nervous

It's easier than you think. I figured it out as I went & took maybe 15 minutes. It can probably be done in 5 the next time.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 04/25/06 at 19:52:47

and have time for a brew along the way - break the allen head pin loose before you remove the caliper - you should be able to push the piston back with your hands - just put some presure on it and wait 20  seconds - it's moving just slow

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 04/26/06 at 11:29:04

Yeah it really was easy.  Even the first time I think it was maybe 20 minutes and I actually cleaned everything very well with brake cleaner (toxic stuff that it is).  Next time will probably be 10 or less.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bones2953
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/26/06 at 14:15:26

thanks for all the relies especially 911radoioman. I'm doing it ASAP.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/26/06 at 15:05:34

Happy to help.  The folks around here helped me out when I got my Savage a few months ago and I'm just paying it forward! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 02:08:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › replacing front brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.