Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem starting, probably starter... (Read 0 times)
Mathieu Sys

Problem starting, probably starter...
04/23/06 at 23:19:05

Hi all, i own a Savage 650 since some time now,
but as i was cleaning and updating after the winter stop, i noticed that my bike didn't start anymore. after checking te battery(ok btw), after changing the spark plug, i found out that the problem probably comes from under the seat.  I suppose that the little cylinder under the seat is the starter, as it makes one hell of a noise when i try to start.  Something like, euh, ratatata..... Cheesy

Anyone got some information about starters or how to replace etc?

Tnx

MD

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Problem starting, probably starter...
Reply #1 - 04/24/06 at 00:32:20

The little cilinder under the seat is the starter relay.

Tighten the battery terminals first and then proceed.

( Happened to me some time ago)

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #2 - 04/24/06 at 02:19:53

Probably the fault came from the starting motor too.

i had the same problem last year, but after a little "handling" to the brushes, my savage has continued to work for 6 months. After that, my starting motor has definitively died.

I hope that you problem is the relay, 'cause a starting motor is not cheap...

IP Logged
kstewy

Reply #3 - 04/24/06 at 13:18:43

Hi all, I have been reading threads and checking out this site for a week or so now. alot of good tips and tricks you all have posted. In regards to your starter there is one listed in e-bay for around $50 for one that fits a 98 savage not sure if it will work for yours or not, goodluck.

I ride a 1987 ls650 no mods yet but with this site maybe some in the near future.

IP Logged
Mathieu Sys

Reply #4 - 04/25/06 at 01:43:36

Hey all, thanx for ur reply's, i went to a suzuki garage this morning, and they said it would be my battery.  Normally, when ur battery is under 12V, the starter will make some difficulties.  So, tonite, i'm gonna replace the battery, as the other one will be dead RIP.... Wink

I'll keep u posted if it worked (hope so, with all that nice weather for the moment...)

Greetz

IP Logged
stinger139

Reply #5 - 04/25/06 at 01:55:32

today i got my bike started and rode for 5 minutes. the battery is shot i guess. when i got home and tried to start it, with a battery charger hooked to the battery still in the bike,, it wont even crank over. all the lights work tho. i checked the fuses. can charging the battery on the bike burn out the starter selinoid?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 04/25/06 at 02:06:58

stinger139 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
today i got my bike started and rode for 5 minutes. the battery is shot i guess. when i got home and tried to start it, with a battery charger hooked to the battery still in the bike,, it wont even crank over. all the lights work tho. i checked the fuses. can charging the battery on the bike burn out the starter selinoid?

NO

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 04/25/06 at 05:01:59

Mathieu Sys wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Hey all, thanx for ur reply's, i went to a suzuki garage this morning, and they said it would be my battery.  Normally, when ur battery is under 12V, the starter will make some difficulties.  So, tonite, i'm gonna replace the battery, as the other one will be dead RIP.... Wink

I'll keep u posted if it worked (hope so, with all that nice weather for the moment...)

Greetz

yes if the battery is pretty far down it will click, make noise, and will not turn the engine over - but in some measurements around here the bike will not start below 12.3 volts - it will turn over but does not have enough to fire the engine, it works fine at 12.7 volts - this is a measure of the voltage after the battery has been sitting 24hours without the charger on it - gives the float time to leave.

IP Logged
Graf_Dieudax
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/26/06 at 00:10:31

She runs like a kitting again, a BIG noisy kitten lol

Thanx all, i'll be riding by soon !

M

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 02:33:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problem starting, probably starter...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.