Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Owner - Questions (Read 1 times)
mmp
Ex Member

New Owner - Questions
04/21/06 at 10:53:02

Hi all,

I have found this site to be awesome! I bought a used 2001 that had been sitting around for a while with only 1000 miles on it. I have changed the spark plug (think they could have made that a little easier, the tank is a pain to take off just to check the plug). I might have to make the swing door mod I saw around here Wink

The question that I have for all of the mechanically inclined out there is that when I went to change to oil, it won't drain. I took it out for a 30 minute ride thinking that the oil just wasn't getting hot enough, but that wasn't the problem. It looks like the previous owner had overfilled, would this have anything to do with why the oil won't completely drain?

Also, I have made my own saddlebag brackets with 1/4" aluminium rod from Home Depot and painted them black (cost less than $7 bucks for both). I took picks that I'll have to post in case anyone is interested in making their own. All I used was a pair of vice-grips and a little bit of brute force to bend the rod and voila - brackets Grin
I have also done the seat mod that helps out greatly for the longer rides.

I looked for the #4 washer at Lowe's, Autozone, and Ace HW today but the smallest they all had was a #6. So, I guess I'll have to comb all of the stores here in Lansing.

Anyway, have been riding and enjoying. I have found this message board to be a great source of info. and help. So, thanks!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: New Owner - Questions
Reply #1 - 04/21/06 at 11:23:57

Sure you got the correct bolt to drain the oil?  Are you sure there is oil in there to begin with?  Having too much oil is not a big deal, it seems...   But maybe that's why my cam chain tensioner broke... or maybe it was the 5 days of practically nonstop 80 mph highway riding that did it.

The drain pulg faces out towards the left side of the engine on my '97 (on the underside...).  Shouldn't be different on your 2001.  Takes a 17 mm wrench.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 04/21/06 at 11:58:34

mmp wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I have made my own saddlebag brackets with 1/4" aluminium rod from Home Depot and painted them black (cost less than $7 bucks for both). I took picks that I'll have to post in case anyone is interested in making their own. All I used was a pair of vice-grips and a little bit of brute force to bend the rod and voila - brackets Grin

Yea get those pics up when you can. We like pictures, they are so much easier than reading. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
mmp
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/21/06 at 12:37:58

Yep, 17mm bolt on the underbelly of the engine, left side. Well, I should have said that I have been able to drain some of the oil but I can see in the window that the level is still too high.

I'll make sure to get the pictures of the brackets up in the next few days when I get back home. The only problem that I'm worried about is that the tire might rub on the left side. So, I might have to see about increasing the tension for my shocks and finding a bolt that is not as thick.

IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #4 - 04/21/06 at 13:20:10

Well I know this isn't totally safe.  BUT when I changed the oil the other day I carefully put the front tire up on a parking block and used a small bit of flooring lying about to put the side stand on. Let the bike sit like it would parked and all oil drained out.

Just be careful if you try it my way....  Try also looking under search for a "bike lift" uses some 2x4s and a bit of metal pipe.  

- Roadie

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/21/06 at 19:32:52

The only place I found the #4 washers was at Radio Shack. I ended up just thinning out the spacer to 1/2 thickness after several tries 'cause my washers seem to scrub the sides a bit.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Bobster
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/21/06 at 21:26:48

I got $20 says you havent removed the correct drain plug. I did the same thing my first try.

IP Logged
mmp
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/22/06 at 06:29:01

Yep, I took a look at Greg_650's detailed pictures and noticed that the plug is the one hidden behind the frame. I just bought a Clymer's and received that in the mail as well and noticed that the drain plug was behind the kickstand area. Thanks for the advice, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that has made this mistake  Undecided

IP Logged
mmp
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/22/06 at 13:54:47

Got it changed, no problem once I had some pictures to find the right bolt  Wink and it only took about 10 minutes.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #9 - 04/25/06 at 02:30:44

mmp wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Got it changed, no problem once I had some pictures to find the right bolt  Wink and it only took about 10 minutes.

As said before: a picture tells more than 1000 words.
Congrats on your new bike and happy wrenching.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 01:49:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Owner - Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.