Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rear brakes (Read 0 times)
Guido
Ex Member

rear brakes
04/19/06 at 17:05:16

I was just curious and not in need as of yet, but has anyone here replaced the rear brakes on their Savage? Is it difficult considering I've done my vehicles? Is there a drum that needs turned when this is done? Tried a search and couldn't find anything on here. Do they last longer than fronts?

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: rear brakes
Reply #1 - 04/19/06 at 17:49:47

I personally rarely ever use my rear brakes.  Only if I'm in a situation when I really have to slow the bike down fast will I ever touch my rear brake.  Otherwise, it's all front brake for me.  They should last you quite a long while, IMHO.

But to answer the other part of your question, they aren't hard to change, and I don't believe there is anything you need to turn when changing them out.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/19/06 at 18:04:48

When I had my back wheel off last year the shoes looked almost brand new with around 2,000 miles, though the front pads were used up. Looked like a fairly easy job to replace them when the time comes.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/19/06 at 18:07:16

I try to use mine at the same time but apply more pressure to the fronts, usually. I know there is a wear indicator on the rear but didn't know how long they would last or what difficulty was involved in replacement. Are there as many of those pesky springs as on an auto? I hate when they slip and you have to duck for cover!!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 04/19/06 at 18:29:27

really nothing to it - just drop them in more or less - no big springs to tug on - you just slip the springs in the shoes and fold the shoes together, drop them in, and unfold them to clamp the posts - here's a post on it

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1121446954

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/21/06 at 16:33:55

Thanks for the info! That's why I love it here!!

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #6 - 04/21/06 at 20:03:26

The rear brakes definately last longer than the front.  The front ones are, in my personal opinion, ridiculously thin and short-lived.  I lost track of how many sets I've gone through, and I seem to get more miles per set than a lot of others here.  I had my rear tire off not too long ago (keep working on the rear fender) and at well over 8000miles, there's plenty of wear left in them.  

I usually use my front and rear brake at the same time.  I guess it just makes more sense to me.  If the rear brake picks up some of the tab, that's less wear on the front brakes, perhaps?  And I figure that if something goes wrong and I need maximum braking, I'll already have my foot on it.  *shrug*  The way people drive around here, that's happened more times than I'd like to admit.

If you do wear em out, let us know how long it took ya!  I'm also curious as to how long they last...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 08:54:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.