Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
... A little help here...(please) (Read 3 times)
RocksimusMaximus
2005 No Login

... A little help here...(please)
04/13/06 at 19:33:20

Hey guys, Hope all is well

I've got an 05 S40 that i've put about 4000 miles on since July... and the d@mnedest thing happened today; I was riding on campus here in town and came to a stop sign. When I went for the lever to shift her into 1st. The lever was about 6 inches lower than it should have been. Not only that... but I could move it freely up and down as far as I wanted to, regardless of clutch. Luckily I was in 2nd gear at the time (not a bad gear to get stuck in if the tranny fails ya). As you may have guessed... MY GEARSHIFT ROD HAD SNAPPED IN 2!!! It seemed to do it comepletely out of nowhere. What a pain in the a$$.

And now I've got my first "rally" to go to on Sunday and no bike to ride. Is the rod something that I could perhaps find at the dealership? Is it particularly hard to replace on my own? I know my bike is still under warranty, but I am nowhere near the dealership with no way to get the bike there... plus I need this done in a timely fashion. If its something that I can do with a few free hours and a Zeppelin CD, then I would be more than happy to do it myself.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,
Ryan

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: ... A little help here...(please)
Reply #1 - 04/13/06 at 19:53:58

The dealership has or can order the part, it costs under  $10.00 and is easy to replace. Just remember that one end has reverse threads and a reverse thread locking nut. Just remove the old rod, start one end of the new rod and then start the other, once the shifter is where you want it tighten up the locking nuts and you are ready to go, real simple.  If you know somebody who welds you can get a piece of metal welded onto the busted rod, even a piece of tubing that the rod fits into along with some J B Weld would get you riding Sunday, just go easy on it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 04/16/06 at 00:51:38

If you know someone who welds, a battery hold down bolt is the right diameter. The reversed thread end you stick the nopn threaded rod section in and tack weld it. The screw in section is the right size to work as is. That's how I fixed mine when the rod snapped in 1999. Or was it 2000? Anyway, it is still straight and holding fine.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 04/16/06 at 14:30:58

I got mine from RonAyers.com and it was around $5.  You could probably slide the two pieces into a small piece of steel tubing and braze them in place.  If you can't braze them, use some JB Weld.  It should hold until you get a new one.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #4 - 04/16/06 at 17:22:23

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I got mine from RonAyers.com and it was around $5.  You could probably slide the two pieces into a small piece of steel tubing and braze them in place.  If you can't braze them, use some JB Weld.  It should hold until you get a new one.

small steel tubing equals a galvanized nipple take the linkage to the hardware store and look at the 1/4 or 3/8 inch nipples.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 04/17/06 at 10:42:14

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
small steel tubing equals a galvanized nipple take the linkage to the hardware store and look at the 1/4 or 3/8 inch nipples.

That's exactly what I used when mine bent.  I straightened it, slid it through the nipple and put some JB Weld inside it.  It held until the new one arrived and now it's my spare.  I got it in the plumbing section at ACE Hardware.  I just couldn't remember what they called it.  I had threads on both ends but I just ignored them.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:12:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ... A little help here...(please)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.