Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New owner.. Old rider (Read 5 times)
Guido
Ex Member

New owner.. Old rider
04/03/06 at 08:30:01

Let me start by saying that this site is the most informative and friendly I have been to. Lot's of good no nonsense information. Keep up the good work! Now with that out of the way....a little info about my bike and me. After selling my last bike nearly ten years ago because the the inattentive drivers scared me to death, the rising gas prices and the call of the road beckoned me to purchase a new 05 S40. I love it! It is much easier to handle than the 550L I got rid of and everyone at first glance thinks it's a Harley. Shows what they know huh? Anyway, I plan to do some of the mods I've read here and have confidence they will be correct because of this site. Wink
Here is a list of things I've done before finding this site.
05 S40 Pearl White
Suzuki Backrest
Suzuki Luggage Rack
Suzuki Saddlebag Supports
Suzuki Headlight and Turnsignal Visors front and rear
Suzuki Sport Shield
Willie and Max Black Magic Saddle Bags and Fork Bag with custom tie downs
Back Off Brake Light Flasher with add on license plate leds
Custom Charcoal Grey Painted Pinstriped Flames on tank, front fender, side covers, rear

Thanks again for a wonderful site. And as soon as I can I will post pictures.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: New owner.. Old rider
Reply #1 - 04/03/06 at 08:47:20

Know whatcha mean about gas prices.  Running to the hardware store the gasoline was adding $2 to the cost of a $.20 part.  It was getting to the point where I didn't want to go for one small but necessaary item.  Now I'll take any excuse to hop on Thumper for a quick ride.

The drivers are no better than they were, but hopefully you're a bit wiser as well as older.  I find that the Savage leads to a laid back attitude where I allow the idiot cagers to do their thing and then just zip around them.

WWW   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 04/03/06 at 08:50:58

welcome !
Have You changed anything about the carb. and muff. ?
Where are You - What part of the country ?

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/03/06 at 09:11:19

Eastern Ky, Gas at 10mpg was really eating into my budget. I would like to change the muff and adjust the carb. I get that "poof" when shutting down. As for the other drivers, I just let em go and try to stay out of their way as much as possible. Getting there, is better than getting there like a maniac. Ride on.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 04/03/06 at 11:06:10

Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome!  You may never get rid of the occasional "chuff" on shutdown but you can significantly reduce backfiring by doing the white spacer mod and adjusting the pilot jet (idle mixture) screw.  Rejetting and upgrading your exhaust and maybe your air filter can squeeze an extra horse or two from it also.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/03/06 at 11:52:36

Welcome, Guido!  So you're in Eastern Kentucky?  I'm close to Louisville here.  Glad to see ya on board, and enjoy the new ride!

IP Logged
Taz

Bikes and boats,
Yeah!

Reply #6 - 04/03/06 at 14:17:01

Welcome and great choice of bike.

I added pretty much what you did plus went with a drivers backrest and highway pegs mounted on the engine guard. That drivers backrest makes all the difference in the world. It is now set up as a one person bike: no passengers except my stuffed Taz.

Kinda like driving my good old 1986 CJ7 jeep with the top down, doors off and windshield folded down.

Maybe I am reliving the past... And it's fun.
The first bike I ever owned was a 1966 Yamaha twin jet 100; The rest is almost non stop bike driving/owning history.

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/03/06 at 14:29:41

I think I got this picture thing figured out, so here goes. Oh by the way I have an 83 CJ5 I've been tinkering with. Boys and their toys.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 04/03/06 at 20:13:29

quick question..fork bag: does your front shocks hit it?? ive got a bag up at the sport sheild and was lokining for more storage (never enuf!!) was noticing another bike this site with a fork bag also..on my s 40 ive noticed (slight)oil rings WAY up on the forks between cleanings..we have some rough roads here but cant be much worst than other parts of the country..(my suz is asphalt only except in crash avoidance maneuvers)id think the front shocks wold hit any fork mounted bag..
13 k on my new .. 1st bike ride.. honda 55 in 1964...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/04/06 at 08:27:06

The fork bag does rub alittle. I have some rough roads to traverse here as well, including the occasional RR crossing. The bag is not tied at the bottom so I think that helps too.
What does happen is the bag rubs the lower brace it rests on causing some wear marks on the brace. I'm gonna try to attach some kind of padding to the bag to prevent it from worsening or just take it off altogether.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/15/24 at 09:22:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner.. Old rider

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.