Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Euro to American Spec Conversion (Read 2 times)
Christopher Scheurmier

Euro to American Spec Conversion
03/27/06 at 10:57:33

Does anyone know what parts/pieces I would have to change out on the savage in order for it to pass american specs?  It is a european savage and I want to bring it back to the states when I leave here.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Euro to American Spec Conversion
Reply #1 - 03/27/06 at 13:51:18

i believe that depends on where you want to bring it.  california may be a bit more of a problem than some states due to epa regs.  i tried to bring a japaneese domestic honda  back from japan in the mid 70's  it was a no go. wiring didn't meet spec.  it's now like the arizona memorial,  sitting on the bottom of pearl harbor.  Embarrassed

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 03/27/06 at 19:12:30

On the other hand I registered a Fiat 238 van in California in '74 or so.  It was a camper conversion brought over from Germany and had German plates when I bought it.  I figured at the very least I'd have to switch to sealed beam headlights, but they let everything slide.  (Weird thing -- the radiator cap was in the glovebox.)

As far as I know the European emissions are same as California which exceeds the specs of the other 49 states.   Lighting, mirrors, etc. vary by state and will be negligible to correct over here even if required.

WWW   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 03/27/06 at 21:08:12

You will need a speedo in mph.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 03/28/06 at 07:45:16

The Savage was never catalyzed, not in Europe anyway, which is why Suzuki dropped it in the Old World. So buy a HD catalyzed exhaust and that should be one problem solved. Wink

Another issue is whether your State will demand 'low beam always on', that is, you twist the ignition key and the headlight goes on; this happens only on Scandinavian bikes, not in Germany, Italy, France and other civilized places  Wink So just hotwire the low beam relay to the ignition module.

Speedo in mph vs. kph is like asking if the bike imported from England has been converted to left hand drive  Grin you just drive - at worst, stick little slivers of colored tape at 35mph = 55km/h, 55mph = 90 km/h, and 70mph = 110km/h. I doubt you'll be riding any faster than 110km/h, and if the speed's lower than 35mph just coast along at the same speed as local traffic.

... now, about those wind-down windows...  Wink

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Chris Scheurmier

Reply #5 - 03/29/06 at 09:17:55

Thanks for the replies folks.  I really do not want to part with this bike when I leave germany.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 03/29/06 at 09:35:00

In my experience the Savage does not have a catalyzed muffler on it so that should not be a problem. The speedo and lighting will be the biggest issues if at all. They should not be expensive or hard to fix. I thought the speedo was dual marked so only the odometer part would be wrong and feds don't care about that.  Used to be US vehicles (cars and trucks) had to have sealed beam lights, but that has changed also. I think even the 05 models maybe 06 use a relay to turn the headlight on after the alternator has started working to save battery power for starting. The US Embassy in the country you are in should be able to give you the contact points for information about importing the bike, or search for it on the internet. Also who ever ships your household goods may have information as they would not want to get caught in the middle of importing someting illegal. When I was in what used to be West Germany in the early 70's  there used to be a provision for a 1 life time expemption for 1 vehicle and I think it would apply to a motorcycle also.  I was considering importing my Ford transit van but decided getting parts here later wouldn't be worth the hassle. The savage share parts world wide so that won't be an issue. Might want to find a shop manual for it or at least a wiring diagram for the lights issue. max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #7 - 03/29/06 at 11:09:09

I have had several bikes inspected and the most they looked at them was to see if the lights came on, had tires and liability insurance. We just rode them in, they looked at them and we never got off the bikes. Maybe you just need to bring it to Texas.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #8 - 03/29/06 at 22:55:11

According the Az law- the head light doesn't have to be  ON all the time.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 05:21:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Euro to American Spec Conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.