Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Signal Fuse Problem - PROBLEM PERSISTS! (Read 12 times)
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Signal Fuse Problem - PROBLEM PERSISTS!
01/07/06 at 12:24:09

Hi all. I had my first ride of the year today and rode about 30 miles. It was cold, but I was happy to be riding.

One problem I found was that my right turn signal was blinking double fast, while the left signal was blinking normally. I turned down a side street and pulled over to check all my lights, since I totally forgot my TCLOCS before setting out!  Shocked

All were in order, except for the right blinkers: both the front and rear signal blink twice as fast as they should, as well as the right signal indicator.

I'm guessing it's just a fuse? I came inside with the MOM to read and warm up, and fuse is all I can think of. So tomorrow, I'll check that.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.

Gerry

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: 1st Ride '06: Signal Fuse Problem Or other?
Reply #1 - 01/07/06 at 12:50:01

Chench53 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Hi all. I had my first ride of the year today and rode about 30 miles. It was cold, but I was happy to be riding.

One problem I found was that my right turn signal was blinking double fast, while the left signal was blinking normally. I turned down a side street and pulled over to check all my lights, since I totally forgot my TCLOCS before setting out!  Shocked

All were in order, except for the right blinkers: both the front and rear signal blink twice as fast as they should, as well as the right signal indicator.

I'm guessing it's just a fuse? I came inside with the MOM to read and warm up, and fuse is all I can think of. So tomorrow, I'll check that.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.

Gerry

First, it isn't a fuse.  You'd have no lights in that case.

Have you changed any bulbs or done anything else?  Does the front marker light on the right side work too?

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/07/06 at 13:05:38

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
First, it isn't a fuse.  You'd have no lights in that case.

You know, I was thinking that after I posted. I know I had a similar problem in my car. And I can't remember if it was a fuse problem, or a lightbulb problem, but that's what made me think of it.

I haven't done anything lately. In fact, I don't think I've ridden Special Ed since early/mid November. He's just been patiently waiting for today. Smiley

I can check the fuse tomorrow, it's under the seat, so that's a simple thing to do. I'll check the lightbulbs too, and if the right need to be changed, I may as well change them all so they're all new.

One thing it seems to be about lightbulbs at home. When one blows, they all go around the same time. Cheesy

Greg, What do you mean by "front marker light" on the right side? I have only L & R turn indicators front and rear, and the signal indicator on the speedo dial. Both right front and right rear, and the right signal indicator are having same blinking too fast problem.

Thanks,
Gerry

IP Logged
Curz
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 01/07/06 at 15:08:07

There is only one relay that flashes either the left or right set of lights.  If the lefts work fine then the relay should be fine.  The rate of flash is determined by the current flow which would change if  one of the three right indicators was blown.  Since all seem to light I would next suspect a poor connection to one of the two right turn indicators or the dash light.  Pull them inspect the sockets for corrosion, replace one bulb at a time to identify which one was the culprit. Lastly you might have a poor connection along the wiring harness.  Good Luck!

http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/SavElectweb.jpg

Curz....
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 01/07/06 at 15:50:02

Yep, that's the schematic from the SSM, and you're right about the relay.  It's not the relay.

As for the marker light....the front turn signals on the Savage have a running light for normal cruising.  They are 3 wire sockets with a dual element bulb, whereas the rear turn signals are just 2 wire sockets with just a single element.

Your problem is very similar to one that I have...as you may know, I have a modified rear fender and aftermarket signals.  All this required a different wiring setup for my rear signals, and I currently have an open connection in a wire for my right rear signal.  This causes my front right signal to blink at the same rate as yours.   The only difference is that my rear signal doesn't blink at all unless I reach underneath and wiggle the wire around.  It's on my to do list  8)

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/07/06 at 15:59:14

...my rear signal doesn't blink at all unless I reach underneath and wiggle the wire around.  It's on my to do list  8)
Kinda hard to ride like that, eh?  Grin

Thanks for the explanation, and thanks Curz to you too. I will tackle this tomorrow and let you all know how it turns out.

Gerry

IP Logged
Curz
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Reply #6 - 01/07/06 at 19:29:36

I have a modified rear fender and aftermarket signals.  All this required a different wiring setup for my rear signals

Are you now running dual element signals on the back as well? or something in a LED fashion?

Curz....
  IP Logged
Curz
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Reply #7 - 01/07/06 at 19:36:17

It just requires a little extra route planning.....He only makes left hand turns! Grin

Curz....
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 01/08/06 at 07:26:01

Thanks for the explanation, and thanks Curz to you too. I will tackle this tomorrow and let you all know how it turns out.

Gerry

Glad that you understand the problem.  I hate it when my fingers get rubbed by the tire  Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 01/08/06 at 07:29:30

Curz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Are you now running dual element signals on the back as well? or something in a LED fashion?

Changed my profile photo just for you Smiley

No, they are 2 wire sockets.  They used to be with the stock signals, but I couldn't find these type aftermarket lights with 3 wire.  My spouse still has 3 wire sockets on hers.

These bulbs are halogen.

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/08/06 at 12:07:05

I opened the R front signal first and one filament is burned out.

I got the bulb out, push and turn.

I think I have a spare in my car, I'm sure they're the same. If not, I'll take this one and go to store and get a new one.

In the meantime, before I left the bike I tried to put it back for practice, but couldn't get it in. I pushed, but couldn't turn it.

Is it same rule:
Loosey-Lefty (to loosen, turn left / counterclockwise)
Righty-Tighty (to tighten, turn right / clockwises)

I wish I thought of that ditty in the garage....

Keep you posted.
Gerry

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/08/06 at 12:15:57

....couldn't get it in. I pushed, but couldn't turn it....
My dad happened to call, he explained it.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Gerry

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 01/08/06 at 15:42:11

I tried to put it back for practice, but couldn't get it in. I pushed, but couldn't turn it.

Gerry

do we really need to know about your sex life.   Shocked

with practice you'll get better  8)

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/09/06 at 17:07:23

LOL, thats a good one Sluggo!!

Hey, I looked at the bulb up front, a double filament and I have a spare one which is the same # as on original bulb, # 1157.

So tomorrow I'll pop it in and let you know if that's the problem. Cheesy

Gerry

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Signal Fuse Problem persists!!
Reply #14 - 01/28/06 at 11:23:52

Hey folks, I'm back and still not fixed. It was a few days before I put that bulb in, but no luck. I wasn't sure I twisted it right, but my boyfriend tried too, and no luck it didn't work right.

I didn't have time til now, so I put on my detective hat, bought new bulbs altogether to rule out possibility I was putting in bad bulbs again (the others had been in my car a year or Embarrassed five), and thought about it and here's where I am after putting in new bulb in right front and rear signals. Remember, left signals are all OK...

When key turned on, both front amber lights are on, equal brightness. When I put on Right signal, they all still blink double fast, but Right bulb compared to Left bulb is less bright now. So, I took off the Left front blinker amber cover and compared the filaments when blinking.

The left (good) front light - one filament is on, when blinking both are on. But, the right (bad) front light, the second filament never goes on, only the original filament starts to blink.

I happened to remove the seat to take off the saddlebags, but since there is light, the fuse (we agreed above) is OK, right? And, when the rear blinkers are used, brightness is equal, so that bulb should be OK.

My neighbor is a car buff of sorts, said something about a blinker switch. A little disc or something? He said cars have it, maybe bikes too?

So, what do I do now, other than go to the dealer and spend $50 on what I am guessing is probably only a $5 fix.... ???

Thank you all so much,

Gerry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 05:20:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Signal Fuse Problem - PROBLEM PERSISTS!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.