Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noisy Transmission ? (Read 7 times)
riptide_fl
Ex Member

Noisy Transmission ?
03/19/06 at 17:58:50

Have about 600 miles on my new S40..Rode for the first time today without a helmet for a short distance..didnt realize the transmission was as noisey as it is..Is this common ?...It's a noticeable whine, might just be normal on this machine..Getting the 600 mile service done on Tuesday, will find out more about it..Thanks everyone..Great site here !!   John

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Noisy Transmission ?
Reply #1 - 03/19/06 at 18:17:42

yup they are whinners.  temp, humidity, tension all contribute to the sound. stock the machine comes with belt to tight, you should be able to grab belt in middle and twist it 90 degrees.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
riptide_fl
Ex Member

..Re: Noisy Transmission ?
Reply #2 - 03/19/06 at 18:36:46

Thanks Sluggo, kinda thought it may be normal..The belt was ok..I checked it when I got the bike..This is definitely  a Tranny whine..not real bad ,but there..No biggy if its normal !

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 03/20/06 at 19:47:49

It took a couple thousand miles for the gear whine to stop on my '02 and still have some in first. Might just need a break in period for the transmission.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/04/06 at 19:48:01

I replaced the rear tire on my '02 today, and when I reinstalled the wheel, I decided to slack off the belt just a bit over what it was.  I notice the whine in my transmission more now than before, especially in 4th and 5th when I let off the throttle.  I've got 6800 miles on mine, so I don't know why the whine is more pronounced now with a slightly looser belt.  I can grab the belt midway and twist it 90 degrees, so I guess I'm not gonna worry about it, just a tad annoying that's all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:02:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Noisy Transmission ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.