Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
muffler question (Read 4 times)
N.D.

muffler question
03/18/06 at 16:31:10

Should there be any exhaust at all coming from the underside of the muffler (about 5 inches from the muffler-header joint)? Is there some sort of moisture drain hole? Also, I've seen several posts where a gasket was mentioned that fits the header-muffler joint.
All I can find from Bike Bandit is a "connector." I had disassembled my muffler to paint the header and the only thing I remember seeing was a welded on piece that had a raised ridge on it. Is there a "gasket" such as the one between the header and the cylinder? I have an '04 with a stock muffler. Thanks in advance for helping cure a case of ignorance.

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Re: muffler question
Reply #1 - 03/18/06 at 17:10:13

In the following link, http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/muffler/muffler.cfm?man=su&groupid=715... if it is number 5 that you are referencing, even though it is called a connector it is in fact a large graphite impregnated gasket.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/18/06 at 17:36:54

Check inside your muffler.  That gasket most likely is inside the muffler.  You can tell by just taking your fingernail and scraping the edge.  When I swapped my OEM can out for the MAC, I was able to take a pocket knife, and gently go around the edge and reuse that gasket.

IP Logged
N.D.

Reply #3 - 03/18/06 at 18:13:44

Thanks for your responses. I believe that you're right about the gasket being inside the muffler. I probably slipped the header back in without seeing it. The exhaust doesn't seem to be coming from the joint. Under the stock muffler there is an area that is covered with a plate with large holes in it. The exhaust seems to be coming from in there which led me to think there may be a small hole to let condensation drain. I sprayed some WD-40 and it ran out a small hole located toward the front of this plate, but I can't see up under the plate completely to see if that might in fact be a drainage hole directly on the muffler. Thanks again.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/18/06 at 18:51:12

I'd have to go pull my old muffler out of the garage and look at it, so I can't vouch for the existence of a drain hold or not.  I know the GZ250's have one on them, but not sure about the Savage.

Is it backfiring when you run it more than usual?

IP Logged
N.D.

Reply #5 - 03/18/06 at 18:56:25

It doesn't seem to backfire more than it did. I just never had an occasion to notice the small amount of exhaust
coming from under the muffler. But again,  it seems to be coming from under the plate a few inches from the muffler-header joint. It would make sense to have some way for moisture to drain. Ride safe.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 09:25:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › muffler question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.