Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gotta say... I'M HAPPY!!! (Read 8 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Gotta say... I'M HAPPY!!!
03/14/06 at 12:03:27

Got a chance today (after the monsoons left) to take the Savage out for her first long ride after getting all the mods done on it.  I must say, I am totally satisfied -- 110 %!!!

Rode just a shade over 120 miles today, stopped and filled up at the appropriate time -- FUEL MILEAGE 50.4 MPG!!!

I was really disheartened after installing the muffler, shaving the spacer and rejetting that my mileage had plummeted into the low 40's.  Then, after a couple of the guys here explained how the air/fuel must be balanced, I held out hope that the K&N drop-in filter would cure those ills.  It did!!!

Power is there for the asking on this bike now.  Went out on Interstate 65 (we're close to Louisville), and I ran with the big dogs and the Savage never missed a beat.  When I needed to merge or pass, just a flick of the throttle and the Thunderin' Thumper (that's my bike's name Cheesy) came to life in a BIG way!

It's nice knowing you have that power in reserve when you need it, and it is even nicer to know that the bike will respond in most cases without kicking it down a gear.

Thanks to all who tolerated my huge learning curve with regards to carburetion!  This forum is the best, and the knowledge here is worth its weight in gold!!!

I still have just the slightest of popping on decel, and for all I know, I may never tweak that fully out of it, but if not -- it's all good.

Tom

IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Re: Gotta say... I'M HAPPY!!!
Reply #1 - 03/14/06 at 12:16:11

Im realy glad for you  Grin Its cool that you made those mods and they turned out that well  Cheesy

HAPPY RIDING

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 03/14/06 at 12:22:53

Congratulations!  I would point out that you should probably tweak your idle mixture and idle speed again after altering the airflow (if you haven't already)... though it sounds like you must be pretty close already.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 03/14/06 at 13:00:20

Awesome !! Great news
Nice to see theory in practice.
Can't wait for the weather to get a little warmer to start riding season and do these mods myself.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/14/06 at 13:09:38

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Congratulations!  I would point out that you should probably tweak your idle mixture and idle speed again after altering the airflow (if you haven't already)... though it sounds like you must be pretty close already.

It's close, but I'll probably go back and revisit it again soon just to make sure.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #5 - 03/14/06 at 20:54:25

Congratulations. I told you that you'd like it.   Grin

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #6 - 03/14/06 at 21:56:59

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I was really disheartened after installing the muffler, shaving the spacer and rejetting that my mileage had plummeted into the low 40's.  Then, after a couple of the guys here explained how the air/fuel must be balanced, I held out hope that the K&N drop-in filter would cure those ills.  It did!!!

So does this mean that at one point, after you rejetted, the bike was too rich?

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/15/06 at 04:47:18

I rejetted and swapped the stock muffler for a MAC before I did the air filter.  It took a few weeks to get the filter shipped in from California.  It ran pretty rich with just the stock filter and plummeted the mileage because the engine couldn't get enough air to satisfy the less restricted carb and exhaust.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 03/15/06 at 06:14:03

When you revisit the fine tuning of the pilot circuit, do not forget that on an engine with performance mod's like the muffler and carb, it is normal to have some mild "crackling and popping" on decel.  That is distinctly different from backfiring.
So if you have that mild crackle/pop, then know that it is ok.  

Go ride and have fun.

Congratulations....

YOU HAVE DONE WELL GRASSHOPPER

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/15/06 at 06:15:52

I still get an occasional backfire out of it, so I suspect I still need to tweak the idle mixture just a bit more.  Mostly happens when I slam the throttle shut from road speed, such as coming up to a stop light or something.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/15/06 at 11:11:12

Well, it just gets better and better.  Went this morning for a long ride, about 150 miles.  Figured the gas mileage once I got home -- 60.2 mpg!!!  Part of my run included a 30 mile interstate run doing 75 mph.  The rest was state highways running 55-60 mph.

I did tweak the idle mix screw just a tad richer and I'll see how that does on the little backfires on decel.  It's just a matter of fine tuning at this point though.

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #11 - 03/15/06 at 11:57:33

My K & N air filter is on the way!!!!!  I can hardly wait to test it.  I may have to go out for a little bit today.  It is about 35 now and sunny.  But a snow storm is on the way.  This is so cool!!  After doing the mods the performance is so much better. Ya'll were right!

Yippee!

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #12 - 03/15/06 at 18:11:07

Now that's what I'm talking about. Enjoy your "new" rides fellas Grin They really fly with the mods outlined here. Ride safe.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/15/06 at 18:52:10

bikingb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
My K & N air filter is on the way!!!!!  I can hardly wait to test it.  
Yippee!

I don't know where you ordered yours from, but I got mine from the site pgolden mentioned for $35.  Just wanna let ya know that they have to order those from K&N so it will take a few extra days to get it.  I think mine took about 10-12 days total to get here.

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #14 - 03/17/06 at 05:50:37

I was wondering what was taking so long.  Thanks for the heads up.  I ordered it from the site that pgolden mentioned as well.  Happy riding!!

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 19:26:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gotta say... I'M HAPPY!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.