Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
ching bing bing (Read 15 times)
dichotomous
Ex Member

ching bing bing
03/13/06 at 05:23:05

thats the sound I hear every so often when I accelerate, not all the time, but it only happens then, a very metallic ringing that sounds like its coming from the gearbox area.  My bike only has 2300 miles on it and I havent done anything really bad to it, stalled it a few times when I first took it out, but that cant be that bad can it?  it'd not be all that great as a "starter" bike like its pegged as if things all break after 3 or 4 stalls....  can anyone think of a reason for the sounds?

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Re: ching bing bing
Reply #1 - 03/13/06 at 05:31:07

Perhaps the infamous noisy speedometer cable. Mine lets out a squeal and rattle now and then under acceleration. Check your speedo cable and lube as necessary, just to see if that's it. Never hurts to give it a look anyway, even if it's not the problem.

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
dichotomous
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/06 at 05:39:08

yeah thats true, never hurts, I'll check it tommorrow as I wont see it tonight.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 03/13/06 at 05:49:52

Are you sure the sound originates from the gearbox?  Your word discription of the sound makes me think of "pinging", or detonation, which would be expected from a hot running engine (stock Savage engine running very lean) that is under load (accelerating) and running on regular fuel (I think premium is best for an air cooled engine).

**I just looked back at your write-up and noticed that your weather is very cold...that makes for more dense air which makes for a LEANER running engine...which increases the chance of detonation.

IP Logged
dichotomous
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/06 at 05:54:22

you think?
after only 100 miles of me riding it, and very new and not playing hard with the throttle the pipe IS turning a little blue, definately golden down to almost the second bend....  should I do the carb mods real quick to prevent this from continuing?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 03/13/06 at 06:23:56

Yes, I would rejet and tune the carb...at least the pilot jet...but as long as the float bowl is off you might as well go up on the main jet as well...and shave the spacer or add tiny washers to the jet needle if you are you are up to it.

pilot jet.......low range
jet needle...midrange
main jet.......high range

The Savage is SO LEAN as it comes from the factory that it is almost crazy.  To richen the carb so that it is running with a MORE IDEAL fuel/air mixture is just good for the engine, and it will respond better and make more power.

IP Logged
dichotomous
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/13/06 at 07:13:25

wanna wait till I get a K&N and a harley muffler

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 03/13/06 at 07:21:30

If you will be getting those pretty soon that will be a good way to go and save an extra tuning day.  However, if it will be a while before you do the muffler/K&N switch then I would at least put in the larger pilot jet.  That is quick and easy and will stop the backfiring...which is not very good for the engine.

IP Logged
dichotomous
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/13/06 at 07:27:50

will just messing with the idle mix screw fix part of the problem until I get the muff and filter?

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/13/06 at 07:28:26

im about to buy my new pilot jet and have seen pictures of people with pilot jets with bleed holes. should i get the one with the bleed holes or without?

here is the link.

http://www.carbparts.com/mikuni/mikuni_tuning.htm

i beleive in one of greg650's tech sections i saw his pilot jet with bleed holes.  mine doesnt have and bleed holes.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 03/13/06 at 07:44:15

on the pilot jet with holes and without - I can't tell much difference - I sent one of each to someone - steve530 I think - maybe he has had a chance to compare.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/13/06 at 07:46:05

i just placed an order for a bleed one.  we will see how it works out.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 03/13/06 at 10:54:39

I wasn't able to tell much difference either, as I recall.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 03/13/06 at 14:07:53

I used both on the stock carb when it was still on my engine and could not tell much of a difference.  According to the tech stuff I have read the one with the extra holes does the transition from idle to 1/4 throttle a little smoother than the single hole version.  Apparently the difference is so small that you do not really feel it, but it can be charted on a dyno/computer which monitors the fue/air ratio down to the last droplet of fuel.

IP Logged
dichotomous
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/13/06 at 16:19:20

so I tried drilling the plug out, but it was domed and I couldnt get a straight drill on it at the angle and width of the drill and the frame there as well, so I had to go at a bit of an angle with a larger bit, which took out a little bit of the housing around it, how do I know when I have reached the idle adjust screw and how large is it?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 15:21:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ching bing bing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.