Newbie (Read 2 times)
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
03/26/06 at 17:06:57

Ok Guys and Gals I'm new to street bikes so be gental. I just bought my Savage and I'm ready to start the customizing. Point me in the right direction and be specific. I know alot about cages and I'm pretty dang handy with a wrench but my Savage may as well be a U.F.O.!  Here's what I wanna do...

1st. The foot controls on both sides need to be moved. The shifter needs to be farther forward and the brake farther foward and lower (at less of an angle). That being said I like the pegs where they are.

2nd. The backfire has to go. It's not that pronounced and it dosen't do it all the time. It's just a quirke of mine. Being that the bike is a 96 with less than 3k miles, how would I know if the spacer I have been hearing about has been replaced with a thinner one? Obviously if it has been removed I will notice, but where would I get a new one of the proper size should it be gone all together?

3rd. Who decided to put the 55 gal. drum on the end of the exhaust? I don't care so much about volume either way (loud/quiet) but I would like to get a muffler as close as possible to the same diameter as the pipe. And in doing that, what will I have to do as far as rejetting the carb?

Like I said I'm new so till I learn all the jargon I'm gonna act/sound real stupid with these posts. Please bare with me. Long live the Single

Thnx.

WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: Newbie
Reply #1 - 03/26/06 at 17:22:35

Oh yea and another thing.

The stock spoke wheels have to go. Innertubes are for sledding. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/26/06 at 19:40:33

Well.. Lets start with numero uno.

1.   There are forward control kits you can buy that move the controls forward, but they also move the pegs forward. If you want everything to move and not the pegs i beleive you would have to make a custom set up. but check this thread anyway for ideas.

Make Your Own Forward Controls

2.     The backfiring is an incredibly common problem and can be solved with patience and a bit of tinkering.  Three things are usually done to help this.  First people usually locate the brass plug on the carburetor that is covering the idle/mixture screw.( Once the plug is drilled and removed (be careful and read a few threads on this before doing it(Here is one)  you can adjust the mixture to help fixe a lean/rich condition.  Another mod is the white spacer mod which is done by replacing or filing down the white spacer inside the slide of the carb.  here is a pic of the white spacer in this thread :

Carb Specs

To tell if it is smaller check to see if it has been filed any, mine was about the thickness of two dimes when i started. not sure of any measurements...

The third thing people do are change main jets and pilot jets, but usually only when more air has been added, via fee flowing exhaust of less restricitve intake, such as a K&N drop in or a Pod of some sort (i have a pod K&N rc-1255 i beleive)

3.      The Trash can on the side of the bike can be removed quite easily and replaced with a Harley Sportster muffler, a screaming eagle muffler, jardine, supertrapp, the list goes on.  Many people opt for the sportser since its around 20-40 on Ebay and adds power as well as a better tone.  Looks nice also, here is a thread with some pics showing the installation, might give you some ideas on what you might want.  

Sporster Muff Install

Hope this helps, ask away and we will do what we can, just don't forget to use the search when looking for info on the carb mod's its EVERYWHERE on this site Grin

Good Luck
-Jesse

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/27/06 at 08:20:29

Welcome to the site!  There are a lot of great folks here.  You might start by reading through the threads in the first 2-3 pages of each forum, along with all of the threads in the Tech Ref forum.  Familiarize yourself with the site's search function as there's a lot of information buried in the past few years' posts.  Please also read the posting guidelines at the top of each forum.

Ride Safely,

Rob

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/27/06 at 08:50:44

Welcome to the site, and to the Savage World, steelwolf. As Rob Savage writes, all of your concerns have been thought about, written about and dealt with at length here. The people here have a tremendous amount of patience for newbies. There really isn't a whole lot concerning the Savage that hasn't. Just takes effort working through the Search function. You have to try some different comobinations of words. But good luck. All of the information, strategies and user support you're gonna need is here. There isn't a more supportive website on the Internet.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #5 - 03/27/06 at 15:51:37

Thanx for putting me on the right track. I tried the search feature but without knowing exactly what I was looking for I just got a bunch of post that sorta sounded like they started in the middle.  I plan on trying all the suggestions above. I saw in some of the pics on here what looked to be bikes with no muffs at all, only pipes. I like the straight pipe look but is it bad for my bike not having any backpressure?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 03/28/06 at 07:06:31

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Thanx for putting me on the right track. I tried the search feature but without knowing exactly what I was looking for I just got a bunch of post that sorta sounded like they started in the middle.  I plan on trying all the suggestions above. I saw in some of the pics on here what looked to be bikes with no muffs at all, only pipes. I like the straight pipe look but is it bad for my bike not having any backpressure?

For general benefit and because I see the term post used for darn near anything...

FORUM: A major area/section of the site where like threads are grouped.
THREAD/TOPIC: A particular line of conversation withing a forum consisting of individual posts.
POST The individual entries within a thread/topic.

When you search, you'll get posts returned and they may sound as if they start in the middle because they may well be in the middle of the thread.  If you click on the link to that post, you will be taken to it and you can then read the entire thread.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 03/28/06 at 12:24:03

My 98, running a 12 inch glaspack and 29 inch fishtail tip averaged 77mpg in town, 85 on the interstate when I was living in the Memphis area. Stock, it got 60-70 combined. I've added a weld in "stick stopper" baffle since moving back out here (Seattle area). Mileage dropped to the 40-50 combined range.

Pre-baffled, the bike sounded exactly like an old UH-1D Huey medevac helicopter. Baffled, it sounds like an asthmatic 2 stroke Evinrude. Stock it sounded like an ancient Singer or Whites sewing machine (I have an operable 1927 White electric, trust me, I know the sound).

Ask your questions my friend, it's what we are here for. If you ask in the "wrong" section, no worries, the mods will move it as needed. The techies will see it, and you'll get the assistance you need.

As for your tube to tubeless issues, got one word for you... KZ440LTD. Cast 19 inch front, 16 inch rear were available in chain or belt drive configurations. Or, run a set of Honda 450 Rebel rims, tubeless spokers. 18 inch front, 15 inch rear. They'll both swap right in. I've got 3K rims at my shop, a few hundred new and used exhaust canisters/mufflers. I'd be happy to do some test fitting using my bike before I finish chopping it out.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/28/06 at 13:49:41

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Baffled, it sounds like an asthmatic 2 stroke Evinrude.

Grin Grin  I know that sound. I had a 14ft. skiff with a 10hp evinrude on it that i dit some lobstering off of a few summers back... what a sound..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 15:13:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.