Blue flames in exhaust (Read 4 times)
Bryner
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Valencia (Spain)
Blue flames in exhaust
03/10/06 at 14:26:15

Hi friends...

I put a Sportster muffler on my '00 last week, I have 1/2 spacer and drill holes in filter housing.
I'm waiting for a new main jet... I have a 125 and I'm going to change it for a 130.

But I have a problem. When the bike is hot and I reduce gears, appears blue flames at the end of the muffler.

What can I do to solve this problem??

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Blue flames in exhaust
Reply #1 - 03/10/06 at 14:45:39

i've had "blue flames" but they've never been related to the motorcycle.  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 03/10/06 at 23:24:49

Try backing the idle mixture screw out.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Bryner
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Valencia (Spain)
Reply #3 - 03/11/06 at 08:32:11

I foud this reading some posts about de mixture screw:

"To do the mixture screw you just drill through the cap over the screw, thread a sheetmetal screw into the hole, and pull the plug. Be very careful while drilling. Use light pressure and stop frequently. It is very easy to drill through the plug and hit the mixture screw."

I use the Babelfish to translate this to Spanish but the translation is very bad and I don't understand it very well... can somebody explain it to me?

Do you think this can solve my problem with the flames?
Somebody had the same problem?

Thanks for all...

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 03/11/06 at 08:47:10

Bryner.  We call that backfiring.

I'm not sure about the regulations in your country, but in the US the Savage carburetor was set to run very lean (use as little gas as possible at idle). When you go from high throttle to idle, the gas and air that goes to the cylinder does not have enough gas to burn.  This unburned gas collects in the muffler and eventually ignites, causeing the flame and a loud pop.

You can adjust the idle mixture using a screw on the right side of the carburetor.  This screw is under a brass plug toward the front of the carburetor.  To access the screw, you must remove the plug.  You need to drill a small hole in the plug and thread a self-tapping metal screw into the hole you drill. Then you can grab the screw in the plug with pliers and pull the plug out.

You must drill very slowly and use just a little pressure on the drill so that when the drill is through the plug it will not go further and damage the idle mixture screw behind the plug.

When the plug is removed, you will see the slotted head of the idle mixture screw. Turn that screw counter clockwise to make the idle mixture richer.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you still have trouble understanding.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Bryner
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Valencia (Spain)
Reply #5 - 03/13/06 at 04:43:45

I make the idle mixture screw, but backfire continues...  Undecided

I have 1/2 spacer and the mixture screw 2 and 1/2 turns out. The carburetor was preset 1 3/4 turns out and I turn 3/4 more... or I have to count from the 1 3/4 that was preset? (1 3/4 + 2 1/2 = 4 1/4)

I hope you understand the last one  Roll Eyes

I will not have new main jet till thursday. I'm using stock main jet (125)...

Thank for all.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 03/13/06 at 06:09:30

If your bike is still backfiring then it is still running too lean in the pilot circuit.  You said that you have already turned out the screw 2.5 turns, but it is still backfiring.  
The solution is to richen the pilot circuit more.

-You need to get the next larger size pilot jet.  

Putting in a larger "main jet" will richen the high range of the throttle (3/4 to full throttle), but will not help the backfiring...the pilot jet is the answer to fix the backfiring.

After you install the larger pilot jet, you will tune it again, and the adjusting screw should be set at about 1 to 1.5 turns out when tuned properly.

**There is a rule that says....if the adjusting screw is more than 2 turns out then you need a larger pilot jet...if the adjusting screw is less than 1 turn out then you need a smaller pilot jet....when tuned properly of course.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 03/13/06 at 06:54:14

It could also be exhaust leaks.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 03/13/06 at 07:27:24

True.  I am assuming that the exhaust has been checked and is in good shape.

IP Logged
Bobster
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/13/06 at 09:56:21

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
If your bike is still backfiring then it is still running too lean in the pilot circuit.  You said that you have already turned out the screw 2.5 turns, but it is still backfiring.  
The solution is to richen the pilot circuit more.

-You need to get the next larger size pilot jet.  

Putting in a larger "main jet" will richen the high range of the throttle (3/4 to full throttle), but will not help the backfiring...the pilot jet is the answer to fix the backfiring.

After you install the larger pilot jet, you will tune it again, and the adjusting screw should be set at about 1 to 1.5 turns out when tuned properly.

**There is a rule that says....if the adjusting screw is more than 2 turns out then you need a larger pilot jet...if the adjusting screw is less than 1 turn out then you need a smaller pilot jet....when tuned properly of course.
I just went from a 152.5 pilot, to a 155. And about 95 % of the backfire is gone. I already cleaned the old jet and dont see how that small of change made such a difference but im glad.

IP Logged
Bryner
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Valencia (Spain)
Reply #10 - 03/13/06 at 11:34:42

I'm waiting to thursday to change main jet for a 130 and make more test, because I'm still using the 125 main jet.

I will check exhaust leaks tomorrow too...

Thanks for all friends  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 19:27:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blue flames in exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.