Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Post by Jaeger
03/06/06 at 05:52:57

Quote:
Hello!

First post, please flog gently.

First question -- just rejetted the carbs.  While I know that I forgot to reconnect the tank nacelle (the idiot lights don't work), I thought I did everything else right...  until she wouldn't start.  Would the tank nacelle work as a kill switch?

Second -- are tehre really supposed to be hoses on the vacuum valves?  

--Jaeger

Welcome to the site!

Requested Flog: Please read the posting guidelines in each forum before posting.  This was added into the carb specs thread in the Tech Ref forum.  There's a sticky post at the top of that forum entitled Posting Guidelines: DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE!.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Post by Jaeger
Reply #1 - 03/06/06 at 05:54:39

Below is the reply by Kropatchek:

Quote:
Welcome to THE Savage/S40 forum.

First I would connect the plug under the tank.

Second: Is the startermotor turning?

If so, you probably don't get any fuel to the carburator.

Search the forum for a picture of the Carburator hoses. There's one that goes from the rear of the fuelc0ck to the left side of the carb.: the fuel hose. The vacuumhose runs from the backside to the right side of the carb.
I.a.w. put the fuelc0ck to PRI and see where the fuel comes out.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Please complete your profile so we know who you are and were you'r coming from.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Welcome to the site!
Reply #2 - 03/06/06 at 05:57:38

Welcome aboard!  There's a great bunch of folks here and some of 'em even stop by occasionally to say Hi to the rest of us!  Look around, introduce yourself and don't forget to stop by Sluggo's table in the Cafe.

So far as your questions go, are we talking about a Savage/S40 here?  I mean... to me a nacelle is a housing or fuselage, usually for aerodynamics.  I would normally equate that to a fairing or similar construct when speaking of motorcycles.  My Savage has no such thing.  Are you maybe referring to the frame?  You also say you rejetted the carbs.  My Savage only has one.  If the plural carbs should have been the singular carb and we are talking about a Savage/S40, are you possibly referring to the two vent hoses on the carb that are just kind of stuffed into the frame?

Rob

BILL JAEGER

Reply #3 - 03/06/06 at 09:40:59

Mea culpa, mea culpa -- Oops.   Embarrassed  I thought when i saw that post not to post in THAT post.  I jsut read it and came here.  Oops.  Tongue

And sorry for being unclear -- was tired, grumpy, and frustrated last night with the #$#$@^# bike.  

Yes, the bike is a 1996 Savage, recently purchased for my better half.  She (the bike, not my wife) has about 11k miles on her, and is in fairly good shape.  With new tires and my local wrench-head to try to fix the blasted oil leak in teh engine (apparently the infamous cap leak), she's basically 100%...  or was until I started mucking with her.

1 -- I put on an ebay-purchased Sportster Screamin' Eagle pipe, which sounds AWSOME.  Further -- and this is a completely subjective seat-of-pants statement -- I'm fairly sure the bike ran with significantly more torque BEFORE the rejet, albeit very (very) lean.  

I will say, though, that I could not get the mounting bracket bent in such a way that I could put a bolt through it, so I'm just using the muffler clamp itself.  The pipe is light and short enough that I have no worries about it coming off (and I torqued that muffler clamp on there well enough that it won't be a problem).

2 -- So I pulled the carb yesterday to deal with the fuel-air mix.  I must say, I've grown spoiled working on my Triumph -- the Savage is WAAY more tight internally than the Triumph!  Is the carb supposed to be so difficult to get out?  Even the tank is a pain!  

Anyway, between having problems with the fuel-air screw (drill clipped it while pulling the plug, so we had to mess with it to get it turned out) and wrestling with the carb to get it back in (see above complaints about space) we were staring to run out of daylight, and were in a hurry to get the tank back on (insert complaints about Japanese engineering tolerances here), and forgot to plug in the speedo cluster (I called it a nacelle, I suppose that's technically not right).  

The other change we made -- and this was completely on the fly and may have been stupid -- was to cap the vacuum ports on either side of the carb.  On other motorcycles on which we've worked, those are supposed to be, well, capped.  Are they really supposed to have hoses?

We tried to get the bike to start -- the starter works, the engine turns but does not catch. We thought perhaps that we should've left the vacuum ports open, so we pulled the caps off, but it still would not catch (and so we put the caps back on).  The speedo cluster is still disconnected (we ran out of time), and we ran the battery down itrying to get her to start.  

Here is a list of all the mods that were made, as well as the inadvertant change:

Sportster SE Muffler
Main jet changed to 152.5
F/A screw to approx 2.5 turns
Vacuum ports closed (removed hoses and put on caps)
(accidentally) disconnected Speedo cluster

Would any of these mods keep the bike from catching?  The carb appears to be getting fuel, the breather hose is connected to the tank, the airbox is connected...  Dunno.  Suggestions?

Oh, and I'll update my profile when i figure out how!

Thanks, folks!  Smiley

--Jaeger

IP Logged
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

NoVA (Near Washintgon, DC)
Reply #4 - 03/06/06 at 09:42:02

Oops, sorry about that.  That's me above.   Embarrassed

Geez.  I suck at the internet.   Grin

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #5 - 03/06/06 at 09:56:54

what "vacuum ports" are talking about ???

IP Logged
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 03/06/06 at 10:09:09

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
what "vacuum ports" are talking about ???

On either side of the carb (left and right) there are little nipples.  In the stock configuration, there are (or were on my bike) two identical hoses that run up under the tank and attach to...  nothing.

In general, I've seen those nipples (vacuum ports) on other carbs, and they're always capped with little rubber caps.  On this bike, they were basically left open.  

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #7 - 03/06/06 at 10:11:54

I think he pluged the bowl vents ........... ???

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 03/06/06 at 10:20:04

SAMM wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I think he pluged the bowl vents ........... ???

I think so too.

Jaeger,

take a look at the photos in the Carb Specs thread in the Tech Ref section.  You'll see there are basically four tubing fittings on the carb.  There is one fuel line inlet on the left, one vacuum port on the right and the two bowl vents (one on each side).

jaeger
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 03/06/06 at 10:37:58

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I think so too.

Jaeger,

take a look at the photos in the Carb Specs thread in the Tech Ref section.  You'll see there are basically four tubing fittings on the carb.  There is one fuel line inlet on the left, one vacuum port on the right and the two bowl vents (one on each side).

Yep, I'm quite sure that's what I did.  Ok, good to know...  bowl vents, eh?  I suppose, then, that by plugging those I would, say, render the thing incapable of starting?  Smiley

Aaah, live and learn.  

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/06/06 at 10:39:35

A "nacelle" is the kind of headlight cowl that includes the speedo, switches and idiot lights a found on 1950's Triumphs and up to the present day Enfield India Bullets.

IP Logged
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 03/06/06 at 10:48:20

Salad_Shaker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
A "nacelle" is the kind of headlight cowl that includes the speedo, switches and idiot lights a found on 1950's Triumphs and up to the present day Enfield India Bullets.

Well, the instrument cluster on the modern Triumph Americas/Speedmasters are commonly referred to as a nacelle -- which, given the proper definition of the word (A separate streamlined enclosure on an aircraft for sheltering the crew or cargo or housing an engine) still isnt' right, but hey, it is an aerodynamic housing...  *shrug*

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #12 - 03/06/06 at 11:37:23

Are you running the white spacer under the needle at stock thickness ? If so, you are quite lean in the midrange - hence the loss of torque. My bike with 1/2 spacer and an aftermarket muffler has boatloads more midrange torque.

Nacelle - yeah, I understood what he was referring to. The instrument cluster on the tank.

Those carb vents run into the square frame tubing under the tank near the front of the seat.

IP Logged
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 03/06/06 at 11:42:39

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Are you running the white spacer under the needle at stock thickness ?  ... bike with 1/2 spacer and ...

Those carb vents run into the square frame tubing under the tank near the front of the seat.

Spacer -- I did not pull the needle, though I wanted to.  Ran out of time.  How are you guys cutting the spacer?  Razor?  It looks like Ishould be able to pull that without pulling out the whole carb...  right?  (oh, please say yes -- i don't want to go through pulling that bloody thing out again, it was a real pain in the butt.)

As for the carb vents -- I just feel like a goof now. My buddy and I were sitting there saying "WTF?  Shouldn't these be plugged?!!?"   Er...  Tongue   Me stoopid.   Embarrassed

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #14 - 03/06/06 at 11:58:46

jaeger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Spacer -- I did not pull the needle, though I wanted to.  Ran out of time.  How are you guys cutting the spacer?  Razor?  It looks like Ishould be able to pull that without pulling out the whole carb...  right?  (oh, please say yes -- i don't want to go through pulling that bloody thing out again, it was a real pain in the butt.)

I sanded mine down on a flat surface with some fine sandpaper. I used a cheap micrometer to measure and stopped at 1/2 the thickness of stock.

Yes you can do it without pulling the carb. Pull the tank :'( and you can get to it. Use the best fitting and newest screwdriver you can inside the carb. Most here replaced the bowl and diaphram screws with stainless allen heads.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 15:19:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Post by Jaeger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.