Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dual riding (Read 8 times)
Panther
Ex Member

Dual riding
01/19/06 at 07:13:56

Im planning a trip for my wife and I for the weekend on my 06 S40, and I read somewhere that the springs must be adjusted for dual riding. I'm 5'6"-125 lbs an d wifey is 5'3" 105 lbs. Is this necessary or I'm fine with the stock setting? If not, how do I readjust?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Dual riding
Reply #1 - 01/19/06 at 07:50:13

My understanding is that the pillion can be quite brutal.  Do you intend to stay married?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #2 - 01/19/06 at 09:49:37

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
My understanding is that the pillion can be quite brutal.  Do you intend to stay married?

I think that stiffening your suspension one notch should compensate for the extra weight, as far as riding smoothness is concerned.  8)

But, Rob is right, the pillion seat is a joke if you love her, if you don't, who cares??  Grin

Best,

RW

IP Logged
Panther
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/19/06 at 12:03:22

I'm just tryin get her off my back, about riding the bike. It's been 3 months since I got it, and she only been on it twice, in a quick ride upstreet and back. In that time, I felt like the bike lowered quite a bit, plus I had to roll a little bit foward, so she wont seat almost on the fender. Any how to's on stiffening the springs?

P.S. I'm not legally married.  8)

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #4 - 01/19/06 at 12:26:58

The back seat isnt comfy for anyone even tho she is only 105 lbs hehehehe   maybe this is a good thing !!  She may let you go alone more often !!!   hehehehLOL

My wife hates to ride on mine ( and I like it that way ) Roll Eyes

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #5 - 01/19/06 at 12:38:15

Panther wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Any how to's on stiffening the springs?

If I'm wrong, certainly one of the gurus around here will fix it, but the best option is to smack an Allen wrench into the hole at the bottom of the shock absorber, and turn it so that the spring is compressed (Don't know which way, you'll have to find yourself, or get a guru here to help).

It is my understanding that shortening the shock will increase its stiffness (which is goo to compensate the extra weight) without it bottoming out in going over bumps.

Hope it helps,

Best,

RW

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 01/19/06 at 13:01:15

....P.S. I'm not legally married.  8)

In Puerto Rico "not legally married" is not married, period.  There is no such thing as common law marriage and the one attempt to encroach upon marriage was in 1906, repealed in 1909.  The lady in question is your concubine.
www.m-w.com: concubine: a woman with whom a man cohabits without being married: as a : one having a recognized social status in a household below that of a wife b : MISTRESS
You lucky dog!

I haven't riden double since the '60's -- things might have changed in four decades.    My rules then for my passenger was that they hug my body, arms around my waist, they lean with me, rise on the pegs with me (not valid on a cruiser) and never, never remove their feet from the footpegs until told to dismount.  You do not want a passenger trying to stay vertical while you are leaning through a curve.  With you sitting normally in the saddle if she is slipping back off the pillion she is not hugging you tight enough.  preferably with both of you wearing no more than light cotton tops.

WWW   IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/19/06 at 13:11:27

I think you need to set the rear shocks at the #5 setting. The bike should  be set in the #2 position from the factory. To adjust the setting insert a rod that will fit through the adjustment hole and turn it clockwise to the #5 position (three notches), you can feel the increments as you turn. If you are not sure about where the setting is, lay down and look, you can tell by looking which setting you have.

IP Logged
bobtreat
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/19/06 at 14:21:00

Brutal on her little behind, my wife is also 105 LBS ,Last summer we rode to Erie for the weekend.She wished the lil savage wasn't getting 58mpg.I only turned the shocks up to the 3rd setting,anymore an it gets to hard on her.

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 01/19/06 at 17:35:12

My common law wife (15 years) and I are roughly the same weight. 115 lbs a piece.
I've always left my 05 S40 shocks at stock setting whether riding alone or two up.
I believe stock is set to 2, and is a little stiff for riding single, a little soft riding 2 up. It was also my under standing that 1 is stiffest, 5 is softess, but I could very well be wrong.
My wife's only gripe is the foot pegs are in too close to the bike. She would like them to stick out farther. I think the new one peice S40 seat is built for better comfort.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #10 - 01/19/06 at 18:56:11

The pic in this thread will show how the shocks adjust.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Panther
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/20/06 at 07:23:08

Thanks to all. I''ll letyou know how it went on monday. Wink

IP Logged
Panther
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/23/06 at 13:57:54

Well, the long trip we, planned to do, didn't worked out, due to heavy rain on Sunday, but we did went out on Saturdat night. Firs I had to ride about 20 miles to pick her up, and with the springs already readjusted to 4, let me tell you, the ride was awful! I felt like the rim was dancing on the tire, like if it was flat. nce she hopped in, ride was better, and she had no complaints about the bike or the driver.

One more thing,we went to a festivities down here in PR where thousands of people gathered to the small capital city. Traffic jams where endless, but we couldn't care less. We were on the S40, and we got there without any problems, even thru tight spots where I knew those big bikes couldn't go. It felt pretty good.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #13 - 01/23/06 at 14:31:22

I'm just tryin get her off my back, about riding the bike. It's been 3 months since I got it, and she only been on it twice, in a quick ride upstreet and back. In that time, I felt like the bike lowered quite a bit, plus I had to roll a little bit foward, so she wont seat almost on the fender. Any how to's on stiffening the springs?

P.S. I'm not legally married.  8)

Boy, if you live in Texas you are now legally married, all you have to do is call her your wife in public or introduce her as such and it's legal. Ask my Granddaughter, who is now getting a divorce because of that Wink

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 01/24/06 at 00:34:27

....she hopped in, ride was better, and she had no complaints about the bike or the driver. . . .
Rides pillion on the Savage without complaint?!  You don't want that one to get away!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 15:25:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dual riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.