Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
"How reliable is SAVAGE?" survey (Read 11 times)
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Re: "How reliable is SAVAGE?" survey
Reply #30 - 03/11/06 at 13:46:05

O5 S40  2500 miles, 0 problems, not even a backfire.  Have the air needle turned out 2/14 turns, that may be why no backfire.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #31 - 12/25/06 at 14:32:21

My bike is in my signature.

Bought it used in late '01 for SWIMBO.  It had only 60 miles on it and had been sitting in a shed for nine months.  Carb was gunked up good.

Cleaned the carb up and have had no problems to speak of.  The petc0ck diaphragm took a dump a few months ago, so I just bypassed the vacuum function and run it in PRIME (I turn the petc0ck to ON when I shut off the engine).  I suspect the diaphragm has been dodgy ever since I bought the bike, due to the time it spent in that shed.

I use the bike year 'round as an around-town errand-runner.  I really like it for this task.  I've other bikes for serious long-distance riding.  SWIMBO barely rides it at all. Sad

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #32 - 12/25/06 at 17:23:41

2001, 24,000, 3 months

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 12/25/06 at 18:49:08

'96, bought it with 16,400 miles, 4 months and a 1000 miles later and it still feels like yesterday when I got it. Grin
Previous owner said just maintenence and tires.
Clutch slips, brakes squeal untill I clean 'em. Tongue
Big crank ordered, had to bump start it these last few cold mornings (if you call 42F cold, I do)
Probably do the clutch and cam chain at 20k

WWW   IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #34 - 12/25/06 at 20:06:22

I have no reason to doubt the reliability of this machine. I have a 2002 with 6350 miles (10217km). I do run a pure synthetic oil, and I have made the mods below.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 12/25/06 at 23:17:20

2005 S40, 13,500 miles. It got dodgy starting & I bypassed the kickstand & clutch switches. It still didn't start reliably. I added an emergency start switch under the right side of the frame, just under the seat. Now, even after cleaning the start switch, I still have to use the emergency switch sometimes.
Oil leak at the clutch actuator thru the case. Hasn't been an issue since I changed to 20/40. I think if reliability is the subject riding style is a factor. Most things give good service if they are babied. This bike is not babied & it is hanging in well mechanically. The wiring issue is a disappointment. I didn't pay for a Mercedes tho, so I spose some "less than perfect" areas are just to be expected. I still think I got more than I paid for.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #36 - 12/26/06 at 06:39:10

'96 bought last year, 5600mi on the clock, constant issues with the stock cv style carb acting stupid for no appearant reason. taken apart and thouroughly cleaned, rejetted, spacer mod and reassembled shortly after purchasing the bike, and repeatedly during it's daily usage. it would flood the motor occasionally, it would lean itself out while riding, it would choose not to accelerate, most of the time it would run perfectly  ???. the engines demise at 8000mi was do to a mechanic induced lack of oil  Embarrassed. it will be rebuilt, engine failure report will be posted here, shopping continues for a suitable operator controlled carb replacement for the d@mn vacuum controlled carb  Angry.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #37 - 12/26/06 at 08:46:38

96 bought in Oct 05 with 6500 on it, had new tires.
Now has 14500+.

I broke a shift rod (limped home in 2nd gear,
but It didn't strand me, I carry a spare now)

Replaced front brakes twice (first time OEM parts,
they didn't last, 2nd time used EBC FA106X and
practiced using more rear brake)

Replaced battery with BigCrank.

Like Digger above, I sometimes have to use the Petc0ck in PRI,
especially if its colder than 50°F in the mornings.

Sometimes I have to use the choke when its cold, mostly not.

See other mods below

It's my daily work bike, 12 miles each way on city streets, gets 50 mpg.

I upgraded my AAA to include bike towing,
but it has never let me down.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #38 - 12/26/06 at 09:48:03

2004 with 4,200 miles. I've only had it a few months. Just a hint of the oil leak, no other problems. Always checking the tire pressure and fluids leaves less to chance!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #39 - 12/26/06 at 10:24:18

2006 S40 with 2800 miles.  No problems to talk about at all.  Today had the 3000 check up, "doctor" said she is fine and doing well, just did a slight valve adjustment.  I run with the Patriot Guard, and she does excellent long side the HDs. (65-70 MPH on the highways).  Have had it up 75 on a few occassions for a short distance.  Plan on keeping her for at least two more years.  Grin Grin 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 20:48:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "How reliable is SAVAGE?" survey

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.