Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just bought a 98 savage gas problems (Read 3 times)
mariah

Just bought a 98 savage gas problems
02/28/06 at 10:51:13

I just bought a 98 savage 650.
I have no fuel coming from the fuel valve unless I turn it to reserve then the bike gets too much gas and it leaks out the bottom. TThe bike has not been running for awhile any suggestions for a new savage owner?

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Just bought a 98 savage gas problems
Reply #1 - 02/28/06 at 10:59:18

When you say the fuel valve is in reserve do you mean to say the lever is pointing forward? Does the fuel flow with the engine off? How much fuel is in your tank?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
mariah

Reply #2 - 02/28/06 at 11:04:38

I think yes the fuel will flow while engine is off. It does not start when the switch is on will start in reserve but gets too much and leaks

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 02/28/06 at 11:23:36

If the fuel does not flow with the lever in the prime position, and does not flow in the on position, and your tank is low on fuel, and will flow in reserve position, this means your fuel valve has been modified. This is not a bad thing, mine works that way. All this of course is with the engine off.
Is your carb leaking at the float bowl, an area about 2/3 way down the length of the carb?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
mariah

Reply #4 - 02/28/06 at 11:35:00

not from the flaot bowl somewhere underneath not near the carb gas goes into the carb and comes out the bottom somwhere (the plastc thing that comes out of back of carb) not sure if I said it already but the bike doesnt fun right in reserve either too much gas

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 02/28/06 at 11:41:57

OK it sounds like fuel is entering the air box where your air filter lives. There is a drain tube running from the bottom of the air box that goe straight down several inches. Does fuel leak from there or does it ooze from the air box itself ?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 02/28/06 at 12:09:08

Sounds like a needle and seat tht are not sealing from residue. time to clean the carb. max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #7 - 02/28/06 at 13:43:53

You might mention where you are ...  Town ??

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 02/28/06 at 17:57:46

After you check your air box for puddling, remove your oil cap and tell me if you smell raw gasoline in your crankcase?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
mariah

Reply #9 - 02/28/06 at 18:36:54

I am in Albany NY my aplogies if my msg board eddiquette isnt what it should be IM A VERGIN!
THANK YOU for the suggestions I will get to work on it this weekend I have someone familiar w bikes coming to help me trouble shoot this weekend as I am NOT macanically inclined.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 02/28/06 at 18:46:50

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
After you check your air box for puddling, remove your oil cap and tell me if you smell raw gasoline in your crankcase?

very important

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #11 - 03/01/06 at 06:03:22

When gasoline sits for awhile it will turn to varnish and gum up your carb and/or petc0ck. The dumping of fuel is most likely the float needle sticking. Check this thread for a possible solution.

The petc0cks on these bikes have been known to fail. Yours may just be gunked up due to old gas. When they fail they will oftentimes dump raw gas into the lower end/crankcase. This is quite bad and the oil should be changed and the petc0ck fixed.

How the petc0ck works:

In the "ON" and "RESERVE" positions gas will not flow unless the engine is running. Engine vacuum from a running engine is needed to turn them on. Just leave the petc0ck in the "ON" position all the time and it will work automatically.

In the "PRIME" position gas will flow all the time - engine off or engine running. It is used to fill an empty carb (due to running out of gas or maintanance). One shouldn't leave their bike in the "PRIME" position while parked because if the float needle would leak it would flood the engine and fill the crankcase with gas.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #12 - 03/01/06 at 06:41:00

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
The "PRIME" position gas will flow all the time - engine off or engine running. It is used to fill an empty carb (due to running out of gas or maintanance). One shouldn't leave their bike in the "PRIME" position while parked because if the float needle would leak it would flood the engine and fill the crankcase with gas.

Fuelc0ck in prime and bike on the sidestand the floatneedle WILL leak.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #13 - 03/01/06 at 10:35:08

This sounds very much like what happened to my Fathers Savage....I had the fuel overflow that filled the airbox and also filled the crankcase.

I took the carb off and cleaned everything (boiled it and all) and tested the petcock, but failed to change the float needle valve (it looked somewhat ok, but that was a mistake  Undecided ) and it did it again  Sad

I have since replaced the float needle valve assembly, o-ring and screen filter and have everything in place, all is well now. I do keep an eye on it as I still do not have full trust in it yet.

I have also changed the oil and filter twice in a short time to make sure I flushed all the residual fuel out (the crankcase was completely full of gas and oil so everything had been somewhat striped of lubricant)

Anyway mariah if you do have fuel in the crankcase be careful with that oil when you remove it as it is very flamable

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 19:32:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just bought a 98 savage gas problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.