Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fine tuning question - carb mod (Read 2 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Fine tuning question - carb mod
02/24/06 at 15:49:56

I'm in the process of just doing the fine tuning, and wanted to just make sure I'm covering all my bases here.

1.  White Spacer mod - filed to 1/2 thickness of original

2.  Idle mixture adjusted 1 3/4 turns

3.  Rejetted to 152.5 from stock 145

4.  MAC exhaust added

5.  Stock air filter

6.  Stock spark plug

OK.  Just a couple of questions based on what I've done...

I still have just a little residual "pop" or "backfire" on occasion when decelerating.  Not much at all, just occasional.  Would this be the norm or is there still a bit of fine tuning left to do?  If so, what do I need to do?

Pulled the plug and looked at it while ago, looks like a bit of dry black carbon on there, but I really don't think I can go by that as it is the first time I've had the plug out since buying the bike a couple of weeks ago.  Cleaned the plug up, verified the gap and reinstalled until I can get to the store and buy another plug.  

Anything you can read from the plug though based on what I related to you?

On a side note, I went out and saw I had a flat rear tire today.  Aired it back up and observed a leak around the valve stem.  Closer inspection revealed the nut to be loose.  Tightened it down and it slowed the leak, but I'm thinking bad tube anyhow.  Probably will head to the dealer next week and have them put a new tube in as well as a rear tire while they are at it.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Re: Fine tuning question - carb mod
Reply #1 - 02/24/06 at 16:44:56

Looks like all you need is a K&N air filter, and one of those NGK $12.00 spark plugs.

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #2 - 02/24/06 at 17:48:19

When you are refering to the K&N drop in filter, it doesn't have any screws to attach it to the box like the stock filter does it?  I ordered one and the photos showed that it should screw in like the stock one, but there was no mounting hardware.  The frame for the stock filter doesn't come off.  I returned it because I thought something was wrong.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
N.D.

Reply #3 - 02/24/06 at 19:38:27

The same thing happened to me so I called K&N customer service. They sent me the bracket that is necessary to properly install the filter.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 02/24/06 at 21:26:04

Dang... I had the same thing happen a year and a half ago.  I've also heard of it with at least two other folks.  At least they got the bracket out to me very quickly.  If I remember correctly, you use the stock screw though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 15:38:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fine tuning question - carb mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.