Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Will I be Sorry? (Read 12 times)
luckyeddy
Ex Member

Will I be Sorry?
02/21/06 at 04:01:15

??? I am very close to buying a new 06 S40.  I am beginning to question my choice, maybe you can help me decide.
Here is my situation:
I have ridden motorcycles since I was about 10 and have had my street liscence for about 12 years.
I have owned : RD350, Virago 750, Suzuki GS300, Honda Shadow 600 and currently yamaha vino 125 Embarrassed

I am considering the S40 because I have a preference for light simple bikes, but I am 6'2" tall 210 lbs.  For some reason the New S40 fits a lot better than the Savage (different bars?)  But I am worried that I am too big for the bike. Of course no test rides are possible.
Most of my riding is backroad riding on short (50 mile or so trips)  The other bikes I am considering are  the DR650 and any older UJM from the 80's.
Will I be sorry if I buy an S40?

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: Will I be Sorry?
Reply #1 - 02/21/06 at 04:35:37

I dont think so, but I would recommend some forward controls at the very least.  I think ur legs will be cramped unless u buy some.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 02/21/06 at 08:12:05

I am a vertically challenged fellow so the leg thing is not an isse for me, but I am of the same weight catagory.  With slight tweaking of the carb and exhaust there is plenty of power available.  As a matter of fact, for the type of backroad riding you are planning, the Savage is ideal.  You would be hard pressed to find a better suited motorcycle.

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/21/06 at 08:42:37

With forward controls you'll be fine, but they're another five hundred bucks if you buy commercial ones.  If you leave it as is, you'll have to decide how it feels to you. I assume you're sitting on it at the dealer's showroom and comparing how it feels and how you fit compared to other bikes around. I posted here somewhere the ergo comparisons between the Savage, and a new harley dyno and a honda vtx1300. The savage ergos are less scrunched than the $12,000 harley.  

Personally, I'm 6'0" and I don't feel cramped at all and don't feel the need for forward controls. But I don't have particularly long legs, either. 32-33 inche inseam. Depends how you prefer to ride and sit.

IP Logged
Curz
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 02/21/06 at 17:03:07

I'm 6'2"  150lbs. with 35 inch inseams. I don't mind it at all normally. However on long trips tailbone hurts a little because the high knee position rocks you back on your tailbone slightly more than shorter legged individuals.  Nothing a good air cushon or gel seat pad can't take care of. Or as mentioned forward controls.  Personally I'm looking at the seeger forward controls. They give you about 6" more legroom.

Curz....
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 02/21/06 at 17:33:15

Well, I'm 5' 9" and it fits great.  I'm with most of the others here though that at 6' 2", you may feel cramped without the forward controls (or changing to a solo seat and moving it back a bit).  Only you can tell for sure though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
luckyeddy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/21/06 at 17:34:24

Thanks for the quick replies, I will go again to the dealer tomorrow and take another look and test sit.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #7 - 02/21/06 at 18:57:55

My dad has a Honda Shadow VLX, and I have a Savage.  So to compare with that one, since I read that you've had one of those:

The Savage seems to be a more relaxed position, although the VLX seems a little bit roomier.  The Honda (at least the 2 carb model) moves down the highway a little more easily than the Savage, but the Savage is far superior to the VLX in twisties and turns.  It's also a good bit lighter.  The Savage is easier to maintain, with less to worry about tghan the Honda.  Gas mileage is almost the same (we usually hit reserve within 1/2 a mile of each other).  The vibration is more noticable on the Savage, but that's to be expected form a big single.  

The S40 has different bars than the buckhorns on the Ssavage, and the seat is a bit flatter seeming to me.  I think the S40 would be better for a taller person than an LS650P like mine, but that's conjecture as I'm not particularly tall.  I've packed enough stuff on it to get me well over the 210lb point, and carried passengers that weighed a good big more than I, and it's handled everything well.  

I don't think you'd be dissatisfied with the S40.  True, you may decide to make some modifications.  But we all have.  That's the joy of the Savage, is that it is so easily modified and customized to each person's tastes.  I bought a C50 recently for longer trips, but I still ride the Savage every chance I get, and my dad asks to ride it a good bit as well.  

It's a good bike.  Hopefully a little comparision to the Honda Shadow 600 will be helpful for ya.  The bottom line is that it's your bike, and if something doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you.  That's why there's so many bikes.  Personally, I'd still buy the Savage/S40 over the VLX, even after riding them both.  

Happy Riding.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 02/21/06 at 19:06:20

you will be sorry if you DON'T buy one.  8)

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/22/06 at 00:49:54

I'm 6'1" and ride a '97 Savage.  I raised the seat height by the simple seat mod detailed elsewhere on this site - its not much more than four new longer bolts, some spacers for which I used a stack of washers all wrapped up in black insulating tape, and half an hour of fettling.  So easy and a real improvement.  I presume the seat mounts are the same for the S40 so it'll still work for you.

My next step will be to change to flatter bars - 1" Harley drag bars fit the bill  - to pitch me forward a shade and get the weight off my coccyx.

On longer rides I take a few minutes relief by sliding up back on to the pillion pad thus effecting an instant change to dirt bike stance.

Discomfort, always within bearable limits, is felt either in my upper thighs or lower back.  The more I ride the less I feel it.  I did about 115km/70miles on Monday and at no time was I uncomfortable, whereas when I started riding a year ago that would have been unthinkable.

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/22/06 at 03:32:25

I am 5'8" and it is fine for me.  But I can't imagine it being much tighter.  I have ridden a few other bikes, and every one of them had me much more streached out.  I would imagine that the bikes you have stated would be similar in size to the Savage, so if you were OK on them the s-40 may be fine.  Highway pegs could be a cheaper option to a forward control setup.

IP Logged
luckyeddy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/22/06 at 04:07:38

Thanks again for the input, I hope to go talk to hte dealer today.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/23/06 at 16:10:12

well this might help? im 6'4" with no shoes on and 170lbs.. so with boots and all, after the seat lift mod i feel fine on the bike, forward controls would be nice but a bit pricey for me at the moment, i actually just bought a new seat from a harley bike and my hopes are high.  I haven't ridden the bike much since i recently acquired it and its too cold right now, but so far i couldn't be happier.  Also there are a lot of inexpensive modifications you can do to improve performance and comfort.  Of corse you can also take the expensive route, but its the same with everybike.  Good luck and i hope to see you chatting about an s40 you bought  Wink

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #13 - 02/23/06 at 16:29:39

Luckyeddy:
I personally can't imagine anyone over 5'8" being comfortable on a savage. The savage is a great bike for smaller or new riders, neither of which applies to you. I'm 5'4" 120 lbs and the bike fits like a glove and pulls my weight no problem, stick my wife (roughly same height and weight ) on the back and the savage still pulls, but I worry about travelling too far like that. I've seen pics of larger people on the savage and they just look so awkward, like they're riding a minibike or something. If I were a bigger man I would most definitely buy a bigger bike.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/23/06 at 20:48:23

I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam and am extremely comfortable on the Savage.  No seat mod done on my bike, and everything just feels pretty natural.  Of course, about anything would feel natural after graduating from a GZ250! Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 03:21:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will I be Sorry?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.