Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is this normal? (Read 10 times)
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Is this normal?
02/14/06 at 09:41:16

I just did a run of the search function and can't see a previous thread on the topic so I'll start one.

If I come to a standstill in 2nd gear and want to click down to 1st to pull away I can't unless I release the clutch lever and pull it in again while in neutral.  Is this normal? At first I thought it might be because I'd let the oil level drop too low but having topped up with some of the slimy stuff (10-40 synthetic - hey it's what I had in stock) its still the same.  I read somewhere else that the gear-lever is fairly easy to bend so I'm wary of kicking down with too much verve, and anyway, anything you have to force is probably not doing it any good.

My riding style could be described as enthusiastic as The Lettuce is taken to the max every time I go out with 130kph seen on the clock each ride, sometimes 140kph/87mph, but easing back to 120kph/75mph as the road dictates.

Meanwhile the infamous head oil-leak is bugging me.  Last time I cleaned The Lettuce I had to wipe oil smears off the tool box cover. I know there's a plug available but unless I had to take the head off for something else it seems like a lot of bother especially for a mechanical bodger like me for something so small, so I content myself with keeping a close eye on that sight window and adding a drop or two as needed.

Reading back the last two paragraphs makes me wonder how much riding at speed influences the oil loss to the point where I wonder just how burst-proof this thumper really is.  Assuming the oil level is correct just how much top speed "abuse" can a Savage take?

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Is this normal?
Reply #1 - 02/14/06 at 10:07:38

Salad_Shaker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
If I come to a standstill in 2nd gear and want to click down to 1st to pull away I can't unless I release the clutch lever and pull it in again while in neutral.  Is this normal?

Same here. Your best bet is to downshift to first before stopping. The shifting on my '03 is pretty notchy like you described. If you're too heavy footed you will bend that piece in the shift linkage.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 02/14/06 at 10:24:53

Same here most of the time on a '95 and '02 if I stop in 2nd but I just don't and pop it to first before I stop.

on the oil plug in the head cover - it's a gravity leak into the air passage - it might leak more in stop and go traffic if it's vibrate'n around like the one Max had - but the oil is sure going to fly farther and square on the battery box with more air blowing through there. It's really not hard to fix if your careful - few hours and a couple of cold ones should do it.

so far as high rpm reliable - do know if your bike is stock but if you going to run it hard I sure the get the carb's lean condition squared away, and of couse a freer flow pipe and all that.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 02/14/06 at 10:26:09

Same thing with my '02, doesn't like going into first at a stop without working the clutch lever. I've been dropping it into first while slowing down, picked up doing that from the MSF course.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/14/06 at 10:36:54

I do appreciate the swift replies - this is one special forum.

I'm the second owner of this '97 Savage and is stock in all regards except seat height.  I've not personally adjusted the richness/leaness although I note that it never backfires which I had expected to do after doing my homework before buying by reading up on things over at Bert's site (RIP).  What does no backfires mean for the carb mix?

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/14/06 at 10:44:46

Me again.  Mentioning Bert reminds me of Peter the Balcksmith's (Where are you now Peter?) 112mph burst and that for that mods included, inter alia, a "single wall header pipe" but after that things go a bit hazy.  Raask, Jardine, Supertrapp, Sporster? Do any of these include that desired single wall header or would I have to make one?  Sooner or later I will have to replace the silencer, oops muffler, as mine has a 4" long rust crack coming through.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 02/14/06 at 10:53:50

Salad_Shaker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Me again.  Mentioning Bert reminds me of Peter the Balcksmith's (Where are you now Peter?) 112mph burst and that for that mods included, inter alia, a "single wall header pipe" but after that things go a bit hazy.  Raask, Jardine, Supertrapp, Sporster? Do any of these include that desired single wall header or would I have to make one?  Sooner or later I will have to replace the silencer, oops muffler, as mine has a 4" long rust crack coming through.

Peter is available on the International Suzuki Savage 20th Anniversary - Säkylä Finland site.

Also, the downshifting issue is normal.  Feather the clutch and then shift... one gear at a time.  Don't stomp it or you'll bend the linkage - been there and done that.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 02/14/06 at 10:53:52

That euro carb may not be crazy lean like these US bikes - when your fixing the oil plug leak Wink put a new sparkplug in and do the sparkplug door mod - then you can pull the sparkplug without pulling the gas tank and have a look if it's light, dark, or just right. Unless of course you want more go from the bike, pipe, jet, airflow will sure do that.

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/14/06 at 11:06:06

Probably, if I feel the urge for more, er, urge, I should get a different bike!  I love the Savage just as it is -  its just that I don't want to ruin a good thing by too much thrashing.

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/14/06 at 11:31:28

Radioman's thread on Exhaust Modification pretty much covers the same ground as my last question so better to check things over there rather than run this in parallel.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #10 - 02/14/06 at 13:52:18

My S40 does the same thing at a stop. I either downshift into 1st before I stop OR when I'm stopped, I gently push myself forward or back just a little, and then she shifts easily into 1st. Try it, it works.

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 02/14/06 at 15:19:24

I can vouch for that. On a S40, and the same on my Honda Rebel. The instructors at the Gearing Up program here in Canada, kept hasseling me about the fact that I wasn't stomping the shifter coming to a stop. I told them where to shove a few of their "safety" tips. Not that all their advice was useless, I walked away wiser than I went in.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 02/14/06 at 15:31:12

Same on my '03, presently box stock.  I try to shift into neutral when I stop; and if i then can't shift into first (often) I shift up to 2nd, let the clutch out till I start to inch forward and then downshift into 1st.  Thought about adjusting clutch pressure but this is usually easy enough.  Occasionally I just start off in 2nd riding the clutch for a little bit. (Downhill mostly) Not to nit pick, but my wife doesn't think there is anything "normal" about motorcycles Smiley

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 02/14/06 at 15:36:48

The shifting condition described is same with my '03 LS ... try to shift down to 1st just prior to coming to a complete stop ... I too followed "Gearing Up's" advice and while on my Road Test for my m/c endorsement tried to stomp the Safety Course's GZ250 into 1st while waiting at a stop light ... no dice it wasn't goin' in ... feathered the clutch slightly and it worked ... the Tester who was following me on another GZ, docked me points for that ... said I was "imprecise" with my shifting ... I told him the Bike hung up in neutral while downshifting on approach to a stop ... he docked me anyhoo ... but I still got my license!!
LOL Trippah! My wife doesn't think there's anything normal about motorcycles either!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #14 - 02/14/06 at 16:03:45

I think every bike I've owned or ridden was a little hard to downshift at a stop without fanning the clutch some. Some were worse than others. Once in a while I'll forget & roll to a stop in 2nd so I'll just roll it back a little & find neutral.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 06:46:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this normal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.