Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AHH I SCREWED UP, removing grips? (Read 8 times)
saabsaviur
Ex Member

AHH I SCREWED UP, removing grips?
02/08/06 at 13:28:36

Ive tried searching and going through manuals with no real answers on how to remove the grips? i bought  some aftermarket one and would like to replace the oe ones , do i need to buy a need throttle sleeve?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: removing grips?
Reply #1 - 02/08/06 at 14:05:54

I didn't have to when I put my Kuryakyn ISO grips on.  The end caps just pry off and you have a couple of choices on the grips removal.  Some folks just slice it with a razor and pull it off.  I slid a thin screwdriver all the way underneath mine and then just rotated it all the way around to dislodge the adhesive.  Then they pulled off easily.  The throttle sleeve had some ridges on it that needed to be removed.  I just used a wood rasp and filed 'em down pretty easily.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Re: AHH I SCREWED UP, removing grips?
Reply #2 - 02/08/06 at 18:19:24

ok i screwed up i broke the throttle sleeve, i put the wrong grip tryingto force it over the rubber then taking it off snapped the throttle sleeve off at the base what is the part? does anyone have one? on bikebandit is it the throttle #9

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #3 - 02/08/06 at 18:46:04

its part #1

IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/09/06 at 08:49:30

i alreaddy ordered one from bike bandit $35 buck ouch im to inpatient to wait anylonger i hate having my bike down i love riding it ill post pics of it when i get the piece this weak i put headlight visor, kickstand cover, mirrors, grips, painted side covers, polished engine- will put in technical corner took lots of pictures so far it pretty chiny almost like chrome

IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #5 - 02/09/06 at 10:09:14

When you get your new throttle sleeve be careful. What you acutally bought was the full sleeve with the rubber grip and chrome accent ring (yeah $35 is what I paid too  Undecided).

I broke the sleeve on my Intruder doing nearly the exact same thing as you did (except mine got stuck on the lands). The sleeve has lands (raised ridges) on it and the rubber part has gooves that mate to the lands.

I did as Savage_Rob suggested and used a fine diamond file to slowly work the lands down. (some use a razor blade, but be very careful if you go that route...someone always seems to get cut  Shocked )

When I was trying it on to see if it fit (didn't want to take too much off) I used a water based lubricant (no comments...I use it for other things in my shop too  8) ) and put a little on the throttle sleeve and inside the grip. This way it wouldn't get stuck on the new sleeve while checking to see if it fit.

The reason I used a water based lube is because it cleans easily without leaving an oil based residue.

Once I had enough off I cleaned the grip and sleeve and very carefully slide it up on. Since everything was new I did the filing and fitting with the throttle sleeve off the bike. To me it seemed easier that way.

Anyway good luck with the new grips  Wink

IP Logged
bobtreat
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/09/06 at 12:11:52

The throttle sleeve has to be whittled down quit a bit.I used the fine stone on my pedistal grinder,an lite pressure while spinning.Worked perfect ,Iso grips are a huge improvement!!Good Luck

IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/09/06 at 12:30:36

i use cheap hairspray as a lubricant putting them on then when it dries its like glue and you dont need to mess around with glue, i wittled min down to be smooth using a dremal with sander atachment

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 05:10:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › AHH I SCREWED UP, removing grips?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.