Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painting header AND muffler (Read 10 times)
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Painting header AND muffler
02/04/06 at 06:40:56

Am in the process of painting my Savage. I know I'm going to paint the header black. No probs there. Has anyone painted their muffler too? Using 1500 degree paint on header. Muffler is HD.
Also painted the left and right chrome pieces on top of engine black(500 degree paint) and really like that look.
I had previously removed them, but like that look, now.

I know Lancer used exhaust wrap on his after painting. I like the "retro" look but have concerns over heat.

Comments please???

Thanks

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Re: Painting header AND muffler
Reply #1 - 02/04/06 at 10:36:37

The only prob I see with painting the mufler is It seems to get bumped a lot and the crome will show through with every scratch or bump...    :'(

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 02/04/06 at 14:12:32

I had the wrap on mine but took it off for two reasons.  First, it was bluing the crap out of my muffler.  Second, if it got wet it steamed and stank.  I'd read that using the silicon sealant for it would reduce that and I'd used it from the start. I can only assume it would have been worse if I hadn't.  After I removed it, I used emery cloth to clean and slightly rough the header and muffler and used the high temp black paint.  It seems to be holding up pretty well so far too.  I still want to get it ceramic coated someday but that's not a big priority at the moment.  I'd wondered if powder coating would deal with the heat but I had a some drinks with some old friends last night, including one who owns a powder coating company and asked him about its heat tolerances.  He says its max is about 1300° F, which is not gonna cut it.  He said ceramic would be the way to go.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #3 - 02/04/06 at 21:02:49

Savage_Rob:  how about a web site or phone no. for that powder coating company. been trying to find powder coat for aluminum wheels. not had much luck, just not looking right place, I guess.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 02/05/06 at 06:35:11

The paint in got at Autozone, "black ceramic exhaust 1800 deg spray in a can" have worked very well for me on the header and 2 mufflers.  I have had a number of whacks on both ends without visible damage to the paint.  It is holding extremely well.  This was the most expensive exhaust paint I could find in a can, and I prepped the surface with wire wheel and then washed it about 3 times with an alcohol cleaner made for cleaning ALL grease and stuff prior to painting.  So the surface was roughed up and perfectly clean, and that enables the paint to stick properly.

IT IS ALL IN THE PREP PRIOR TO PAINTING, THEN USE GOOD PAINT

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/05/06 at 08:47:19

I just used the cheap BBQ paint on both my muffler and header, with some light sanding and about 10 coats it still looks good enough for me(about a year since I painted it).

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 02/05/06 at 14:58:38

diesel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Savage_Rob:  how about a web site or phone no. for that powder coating company. been trying to find powder coat for aluminum wheels. not had much luck, just not looking right place, I guess.

http://contractpowder.com/

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #7 - 02/05/06 at 21:53:26

Thank you, Savage_Rob, wating for powder coating co. to return an e-mail now, just what I'd been looking for. looks like they will be able to handle a GL 1500 front wheel.    Bill aka diesel.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #8 - 02/06/06 at 17:13:48

I'm thinking of doing this as well - do you have any pictures?

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
...Also painted the left and right chrome pieces on top of engine black(500 degree paint) and really like that look.
I had previously removed them, but like that look, now.

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #9 - 02/08/06 at 04:27:35

Pics will be coming. Doing a few things all at once now that winter and rain are here. Thanks for the interest.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 03:28:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting header AND muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.