Send Topic Print
2-part question (Read 7 times)
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

2-part question
01/31/06 at 19:51:25

1. How many of you ride stock (no mods to carb/intake/ exhaust)?  And, how satisfied are you w/performance?  

2. I understand that, theoretically, the stock setup (running lean) isn't ideal; but, how much actual potential danger to the engine is involved?  It seems to me that many people have been running stock setup for a long time w/no ill effects.

Re. the EPA regs, I wouldn't want to do the mods, then have to undo them.  I know a lot of people are saying the regs are unenforceable; but, we don't really know that -- especially w/a possible $10,000 fine.
We also don't know for sure if global warming is a reality.

IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Re: 2-part question
Reply #1 - 02/01/06 at 04:18:13

1. How many of you ride stock (no mods to carb/intake/ exhaust)?  And, how satisfied are you w/performance?  
--------------------------------------------------------------
Its ok.  Backfires aren't that bad, if its only once in a while.  But continous you will see some kind of damage, eventually.  I've ridden stock two years now.  Going mod this summer.  I can't imagine once you'd go there you'd ever want to go back stock.

----

Re. the EPA regs, I wouldn't want to do the mods, then have to undo them.  I know a lot of people are saying the regs are unenforceable; but, we don't really know that -- especially w/a possible $10,000 fine.
We also don't know for sure if global warming is a reality.

-----
You don't have to do the mods.  Infact you could just drill out the brass plug and tune you carb better.  (which probably takes all of about 5 minutes.)  Do you really think someone at a testing site is going to know the difference between a Mac, Jardine, Stock, Harley, muffler?  I doubt it....

You'll find that all of us here (if I may be so bold) will tell you to ride the bike as you like.  That's the fun of the Savage, make it the way you like.  If you like stock, stay stock.  I for one,  would atleast drill the brass plug and tune the carb.

- Roadie   Cheesy

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/01/06 at 06:40:19

My 2001 had a Jardine muffler and a 155 main jet when I got it. I "detuned" to a sportster muffler and 152.5 main jet, and shaved the white spacer to about half it's original thickness. It seems my bike starts and runs perfectly and gets good fuel milage. It is very inexpensive and simple to do these mods.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 02/01/06 at 09:16:41

Umm, not stock.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/01/06 at 09:28:01

Minimal mod (K & N filter) but I do get backfire (had backfire before K & N).  Since I burned up a piston several years ago in my boat due to a lean mixture I am planning to at least do the white spacer mod.

SOMD

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 02/01/06 at 09:52:05

I run a bone stock 2003 LS650 and I have to say, for the type of Riding I do, I completely satisfied with the performance ... mine doesn't backfire much at all ... only little "huffs" once and awhile when suddenly closing the throttle on deceleration. No complaints, but the sound clip of the Harley muffler mod has got me thinkin' I'd like to do that one of these years ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #6 - 02/01/06 at 15:36:58

I seriously doubt that the stock engine is running lean enough to cause damage. Suzuki would have lots of warranty claims if that were the case.

I also doubt that you have to worry about EPA showing up at you door.  I'm sure they only enforce against shops and dealers that violate the law.  Remember that law has been in effect since the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1977 became effective in 1979.  

If you have to take your bike in for inspection, the locals may have a problem with the mods.

BTW the problem would be ground level ozone, not global warming.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/01/06 at 15:52:03

BTW when I say mine backfires, it backfires on almost every ride.  Sometimes when I downshift, and almost always when I shut it down.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 02/01/06 at 19:08:04

SouthernMD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Minimal mod (K & N filter) but I do get backfire (had backfire before K & N).  Since I burned up a piston several years ago in my boat due to a lean mixture I am planning to at least do the white spacer mod.

SOMD

and be nice to it give it at least 150 jet and a couple turns out on the mixture

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 02/01/06 at 22:11:58

Well, I know what I WANT to do:
high-performance carb from Lancer, 700cc oversized piston, JC Whitney glasspack fishtail muffler, etc., etc. (besides some structural & cosmetic stuff).  

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 02/02/06 at 04:42:15

right on! - hey I think the epa was going to give us one chopper per lifetime or some such thing

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #11 - 02/02/06 at 11:34:38

Almost stock, except for one size larger on pilot and main jets and air screw out 2.5 turns.  Still backfires now and then with a frequency depending somewhat on warmup time, temperature and humidity.  I can almost guarantee a backfire slamming the throttle shut and holding at say mid rpm...... one-two-three... kapowie!  Sometimes like a howitzer going off.  The fun part is I can scare huge flocks of pigeons off the power lines.  The bad part was when it happened next to a cop car and I imagined he was reaching for his sidearm

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 02/02/06 at 12:32:33

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
right on! - hey I think the epa was going to give us one chopper per lifetime or some such thing

And, I'd have absolutely no problem doing it with the Savage, since any bigger bike I'd buy would probly have FI, anyway -- but the way I understand it (and I could be wrong) is that you can't modify an existing bike; it has to be a ground-up build.
These rediculous EPA regs are gonna make "outlaws" out of a lotta "motorcyclists".

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 02/02/06 at 12:34:14

I thought it only applied to model year 2006 and later too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 02/02/06 at 12:41:52

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
 I can almost guarantee a backfire slamming the throttle shut and holding at say mid rpm...... one-two-three... kapowie!  Sometimes like a howitzer going off.  The fun part is I can scare huge flocks of pigeons off the power lines.  The bad part was when it happened next to a cop car and I imagined he was reaching for his sidearm

Seems to me a case could be made that backfire is potentially more hazardous than emissions.  I can see the headlines now: "Motorcyclist shot to death by cop -- EPA to blame!"    Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:54:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2-part question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.