Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Buying my first Bike (Read 0 times)
socc123her
YaBB Newbies

Los Angeles Area
Buying my first Bike
01/30/06 at 14:48:36

Hello All!  This is my first post, but I have been reading for over a month.  I have had my eye on the savage for over a year, but finally saved the money and got the license (open road here I come).  

I have the chance to finally ride one.  It is a 1996 with 7800 miles on it.  Below are some questions I hope you guys can help me with before I go on my test ride with the intent of purchasing this bike.

Is there anything I should be looking for during my test ride that would signal a no go on the purchase of this particular bike?

Is there anything normal to the savage that would seem odd to a beginning rider?

Is there anything I should ask the seller that you think would help in making this decision?

Thank you in advance.

Heather

PS This is a great resource, keep up the information flow.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Buying my first Bike
Reply #1 - 01/30/06 at 16:50:21

Welcome to the forum Heather  Smiley

The Savage is a great beginners bike for a young lady. It has a very short seat height, is very menuverable, and has a torquey motor.

During your test drive expect a bit of popping on deacceleration and maybe a pop when you shut it off - it's quite normal for these leanly jetted bikes. Most here do carb mods to lessen or eliminate this. The bikes run a whole lot better after being rejetted too.

The only problem to look for that comes to mind is the oil plug leak that happens around the cylinder head. Look for signs of leaking oil around the cylinder head. I'll defer to someone with more experience with the oil leak.

They're really great bikes and you will be quite satisfied I'm sure.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/30/06 at 19:01:55

If the seller will let you, take the bike to a Suzuki dealership and have it checked out. If everything checks out go ahead and have the valves adjusted and an oil change. The dealer can also give you advice on the market value of this bike.

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/30/06 at 23:59:13

good luck great bike

shawn

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 01/31/06 at 08:54:43

socc123her wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
...I have the chance to finally ride one.  It is a 1996 with 7800 miles on it....
Is there anything I should be looking for during my test ride that would signal a no go on the purchase of this particular bike?

Is there anything normal to the savage that would seem odd to a beginning rider?

Is there anything I should ask the seller that you think would help in making this decision?....

As a beginning rider you have nothing to judge whether or not something on the Savage is odd.  When I was shopping for my Savage one dealer said they stopped carrying the Savage 'cause people were retruning them for excessive vibration.  Thumpers are supposed to vibrate -- and the Savage is actually far smoother than I expected.

When I got my Savage the front tire had low pressure, which made the handling sloppy.  Apparently the previous owner thought that was normal since he rode the bike about 50 miles to deliver it to me.

Where are you in So Cal, where's the bike?  I ask 'casue I'm in Gardena and I am willing to let you ride mine so as to get a idea of what the Savage feels like.  Or I could give the '96 a test ride to see if there is anything different from mine.

7800 miles on a '96 is an average of only 800 miles a year -- the bike was a part-time toy.  The tires may look good but if they are over 5 years old I'd replace them on General Principles.  I've always figured good tires to be cheap insurance.

WWW   IP Logged
socc123her
YaBB Newbies

Los Angeles Area
Reply #5 - 01/31/06 at 09:18:49

Thank you all for your advice.  I have ridden a 250 Nighthawk before and it was a nice fit for my dimensions (5'4"), but the look of the bike is terrible.  

I have found a dealer who will look at the savage before I buy it and the seller is willing.

Thank you for the tip on the tires.  

I will let you all know how it goes after Saturday.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 01/31/06 at 10:55:29

Welcome Heather... and I hope the bike checks out well and you like it when you ride it.  If you get it, you know you have a great group of folks here to cuss & discuss it with!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:44:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buying my first Bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.