Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cig lighter (Read 8 times)
Jim_R
Ex Member

Cig lighter
01/29/06 at 19:48:46

Wow all that and a cig lighter too Roll Eyes.  Its easier to recharge the battery or jumpstart it via cig lighter.  I also installed it to charge my cell phone in case I broke down.  I even got an air compressor to pump a tire and its super small(size of the palm of my hand).  

Check out these VW solar trickle chargers.  Who knows I might just buy one and see if it works.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Cig lighter
Reply #1 - 01/30/06 at 07:50:13

I've been thinking of adding a 12-volt accessory outlet myself (we do not have cigarette lighters in California.)   Did you tie it direct to the battery?  Fused?  Size of fuse?  I was going to use an outdoor rated socket.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 01/30/06 at 13:52:25

That's a nice place to plug a radar detector into, a couple more accessories like a cup holder and it will be a "SavageWing"  Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Curz
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 01/30/06 at 14:49:52

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I've been thinking of adding a 12-volt accessory outlet myself (we do not have cigarette lighters in California.)   Did you tie it direct to the battery?  Fused?  Size of fuse?  I was going to use an outdoor rated socket.

I would definitely want it fused...wire it directly to the battery and go with an inline fuse holder.  As for the size that would depend on what you intend to use it for.  if only for charging then say 2.5 amp (I believe the chargers run about 1 to 2 amps).  but I would suspect the heaviest draw would be if your using it to heat a cigarette lighter and that current would be pretty high. Either measure the draw or start with a medium size fuse and increase till  it no longer blows. Dont forget to use an appropriate thickness of wire for the current you intend to draw. Just my thoughts!

PS the two fuses in the holder now are both 20 amp.

Curz....
  IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #4 - 03/27/06 at 18:24:15

yo Jim R you never answered how did you wire it up? did you fuse it is it direct? walk a non wrencher thru it please, would like to add one so that my com set-up is eaiser to wire.  ???  

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/29/06 at 07:29:04

Oh wow.  I just did some research and found it takes 15-20 amps to heat the lighter.  I might put a fuse on it now lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_cigarette_lighter
good reading info on cig lighters

I do happen to have very thick (amp) wire hooked up to it but I think Ill put in a fuse this weekend.  I admit the solar panel has made my bike start easier than ever.  

wire it directly to the battery with an inline fuse.  I would go with a 20 amp fuse.  Also I put a rubber boot around the inside (+ positive) part of the socket so it wouldnt ground out , just in case.

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #6 - 03/29/06 at 08:46:16

Thanks Jim_R I will be installing one on my bike soon, this info and the link has helped. Smiley

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 03/31/06 at 20:21:35

# 12 a.w.g. is rated for 20 amp fuse fi you use cig lighter receptacle for jump starting(yours or theirs)
id up the wire size to # 10..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 09:27:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cig lighter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.