Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aftermarket Exhaust install dilema (Read 8 times)
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Aftermarket Exhaust install dilema
01/28/06 at 14:33:29

The aftermarket exhaust I bought off of Ebay recently for $0.99, mated up to the S40 header perfectly and lays nice against the stock bracket.

Best of all, it sounds totally savage now. The only problem is, the tail end of the exhaust interferes with the brake cable.

I was wondering if any of you think I might get away with using a 1" cable sheath to prevent wear againt the muffler. My only other option is to get a 7.5" adapter with a ten degree bend and mount it further down the muffler bracket. This would also require bending the 1/4 " thick bracket on the exhaust, which I tried but wasn't happening.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Aftermarket Exhaust install dilema
Reply #1 - 01/28/06 at 14:56:33

That'll never do. Get that short adapter with the 10 degree bend in it made at the muffler shop. You need to make an adapter for the mount.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #2 - 01/29/06 at 12:04:08

Yup - do the 10 degree adapter thing and all will be well!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 01/30/06 at 12:16:35

Thanks for the replys, but since no one had any reasons why not, I think I'm just going to go ahead and do it.
I'll probably mount the sheath to the swing arm, and watch that it still moves freely. A little lithium grease every once and a while and all should be good.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #4 - 01/30/06 at 12:53:18

All that exaust and heat on my brake... and frame as well as freying my brake cable....Not me !!!  The heat will damage the coating on the brake hub and look like %^&* after awile too....  Come on do the 10% pipe bend !!

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 01/30/06 at 14:53:43

Ah, there we go. That's more like it. I've never taken NO!! for an answer. Not with out some sort of logic atleast. While I'm pretty sure the sheath set-up I'm working on would eliminate fraying, I hadn't really thought about the excess heat on the brake drum hub.
I'll have to have a closer look at that issue. I'm well aware that the 10 degree adapter would eliminate these issues, but creates a whole new set of issues, most notably the mounting nitemare that would create, and to a lesser degree, the overall appearance of having some ugly adapter in there.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #6 - 01/30/06 at 16:42:19

necropsy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
...and to a lesser degree, the overall appearance of having some ugly adapter in there.

You need to buy a short chrome heat shield to cover the juncture. You'll spend more time creating protection for the swingarm and cable than it would have taken to do it right. If your muffler saws through the brake cable you'll have a dangerous situation on your hands. It really isn't all that difficult.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #7 - 01/31/06 at 13:15:14

Dynobob is spot on.

With a bit of work and an inexpensive heat shield you can have a great looking AND safe setup without clearance or heat problems.  Go the extra mile and keep your ride worry-free... Grin

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 01/31/06 at 15:19:24

thanks guys,  Embarrassed
I knew it was wrong in the first place, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. Any one tried bending the stock header? I'm assuming that would make a real mess of the chrome. I really don't want to hide that header to muffler connection. It gives me a stiffy just looking at it. Shocked

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #9 - 01/31/06 at 19:36:54

thanks guys,  Embarrassed
I knew it was wrong in the first place, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. Any one tried bending the stock header? I'm assuming that would make a real mess of the chrome. I really don't want to hide that header to muffler connection. It gives me a stiffy just looking at it. Shocked

A "stiffy"?  That's a good thing isn't it?  Cheesy I'm telling ya dude, I wouldn't bend the header...get the adapter...IMHO...

I don't think it looks all that bad - maybe even good! Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/31/06 at 20:19:12

I agree.  I have the MAC on mine and it already has the bend in it but I also have a Sportster muffler I want to try out for fun.  I'll be having the adaptor made when I do.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #11 - 01/31/06 at 20:54:02

Any one tried bending the stock header? I'm assuming that would make a real mess of the chrome.

Yes, it would mess up the chrome. Besides the header pipe is very thick (multiple layers) and you wouldn't be able to bend it without some serious equipment or an oxy acetelene torch.

Quote:
I really don't want to hide that header to muffler connection. It gives me a stiffy just looking at it.

HUH ???

Ok, let's put it another way Roll Eyes A nice heat shield will keep you from toasting your boots, pants, or leathers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:05:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aftermarket Exhaust install dilema

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.