Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DOT and the Police (Read 9 times)
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
DOT and the Police
01/21/06 at 17:45:34

I have already replaced my rear signals with non-DOT approved versions.  uh...I mean...I want to...and if I did I certainly haven't ridden it on public roads....

I now want to replace my front signals with bar-end marker "bulls-eye" lights:

PN 84854

Has anyone ver been pulled over by the Police for non-DOT equipment?  I don't believe there are any post-purchase bike inspections in California, are there?

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: DOT and the Police
Reply #1 - 01/21/06 at 18:31:43

my experience shows that if signals are required as long as they are there, generally the police won't check dot standards. that is unless the cop wants to be a thingy.  Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #2 - 01/21/06 at 18:37:52

Just make sure the signals are visable from the front and rear of the vehicle  ( bike)   make sure the bars are wider then the rider so the lights show up from the rear and not blocked !! as I am a BIG Boy  Grin

never mind after reading again it sound like you have the rear taken care of

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/21/06 at 21:18:42

Wow those are kewl and super cheap.  Most of those I have seen before are super expensive.  Great find.  If I didnt already change my front signals to clear lens I would buy some.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #4 - 01/21/06 at 22:37:55

Thanks - this is the Custom Chrome catalog page:
http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/ccp/0530.html

I haven't tried to order them through a dealer yet, so I don't know the availability...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 01/21/06 at 22:56:52

SeeAPierce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
....Has anyone ver been pulled over by the Police for non-DOT equipment?  I don't believe there are any post-purchase bike inspections in California, are there?

I don't know about motorcycles, but I submit for your inspection my dear wife's two cars: The Beauty and The Beast.

Observe The Beast, a 1972 Chevy Camaro RS.  The RS is the split bumper version.  The chrome bumpers you see are show pieces.  The real bumper is the Urethane Nose around the grill.  Which, being a $400 item, is stored in the back yard.  We are running sans front bumper.  Also note the side marker lights -- missing.  Note that the yellow on blue California Plate IS properly mounted -- we were nailed for that 8-10 three years ago, after 6-8 13 years of driving with the plate tossed up on the dashboard.  Wendy corrected me.  Also the last time she got fined rather than just having a fix-it ticket; hence the compliance.  We've been pulled over about 6-8 times over that period, and NEVER been harrassed about no side markers or no front bumper.

I really doubt that they will bother about non-DOT turn signals, as long as you have turn signals.

For what it is worth, since she was forced under threat of continued harassment to mount the front plate on The Beast, The Beauty is running with a VW logo plate, with the DMV issued front plate sitting on the computer desk.  Wendy wants to see how long it takes to get nailed for no front plate driving the nice car as opposed to her Cop Magnet.

WWW   IP Logged
jbird
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/22/06 at 03:58:03

i dont know about other states in ms. no blinkers are needed for a inspection sticker brake lite yes  however you can be ticketed for not using hand signals

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #7 - 01/22/06 at 04:26:23

SeeAPierce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Thanks - this is the Custom Chrome catalog page:
http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/ccp/0530.html

I haven't tried to order them through a dealer yet, so I don't know the availability...

That's stiff prices!!
Did anybody try to order from http://www.louis.de
Bulls eyes at 9,95 Euros a piece.
Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #8 - 01/22/06 at 07:20:52

In AZ nobody- not DOT, not State trooper, not local cop- will give You any trouble for havving these t.signals.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 13:28:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DOT and the Police

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.