Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
nology coil (Read 12 times)
bobtreat
Ex Member

nology coil
01/15/06 at 08:32:41

I'm in the process of tearin down my 04 savage for a 97mm overbore,port an polish of the head and send the cam to web cams for a regrind.My question is about nologies hot coil.Will it work on the savage?They have a single tower,that with some fabin would bolt on.I just don't know if the resistance or voltage is the same?
Has anyone added this??

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: nology coil
Reply #1 - 01/15/06 at 08:39:57

Im not sure but I think its a great idea.  Too bad we couldnt find out if anyone has ever used a msd ignition?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 01/15/06 at 14:20:32

I have wondered about that too, but have never gone far enough with the research to know for sure.  It would sure be helpful performance wise.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 01/16/06 at 01:28:36

I'd be interested in the Nology coil too as KLX's coil is a little weak.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
orrin7
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/16/06 at 17:33:05

msd does have an ingnition and coil that will work and i am sure work well. i do not know the part numbers though. i have talked to a rep. and and engineer from msd and they said we could make something work. from another application.

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #5 - 01/17/06 at 21:23:13

If you know what the primary resistance (ohms)and secondary resistance of the stock coil is, you can match it with a nology of the same numbers. You also need to know if it is a single or dual fire. The Savage fires on both the up (fuel) and up (empty) stroke. The difference  on the new coil will be higher secondary voltage than stock for a hotter, larger spark. You should also use a performance plug wire, as a standard resistor wire will reduce(resist) the voltage severely. Hope this helped.
Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #6 - 01/18/06 at 20:29:03

theikeman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
.... The Savage fires on both the up and down stroke....
Ike

Ike, can you explain this please?

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #7 - 01/18/06 at 21:20:57

Ok, here is a little more detail. The primary resistance on a Savage coil is between 1 to 7 ohms and the secondary is between 10K and 25K ohms. So ideally you want a coil with a primary of around 4 ohms and a secondary of around 17K, anything different and you'll fry something expensive. Also, you cannot use a coil from a point style ignition. By dual fire I mean that the coil fires on the up stroke (the fuel mode) and again on the up empty stroke, when there is no fuel in the cyclinder. Get yourself an el-cheapo ohm-meter and test your coil. If it is outside of the ranges above, it should be replaced anyway. I hope this clarifies things better.
Thanks
Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #8 - 01/18/06 at 21:49:27

Im confused ... Are you telling me the spark plug fires aprox. every TDC or every time the piston is on top ??

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #9 - 01/19/06 at 00:00:44

I thought the Savage was a single fire system.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #10 - 01/19/06 at 02:42:04

SAMM wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Im confused ... Are you telling me the spark plug fires aprox. every TDC or every time the piston is on top ??

Yes, it does.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 01/19/06 at 05:13:34

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I thought the Savage was a single fire system.

It's a dual fire - sparks on both up strokes - as are most, the ones that are not end up needing adapters and such for the after market tachs

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #12 - 01/19/06 at 07:26:21

High performance coil definition:
Our stock coil is fine for everyday use. It provides a good solid spark to the plug. However, if we modify the engine or, the plug becomes worn or slightly fouled, the stock coil is unable to create enough voltage to keep our engine running smoothly. If we replace the stock coil with a performance coil, we get a much hotter spark. Why? How? Well, a performance coil has several important differences from a stock coil. A performance coil may have a larger iron core, more primary windings, better insulation between the windings and, many more secondary windings. The coil may incorporate some or all of these differences. The idea being to create a stronger magnetic field that is able to collapse (decay) quickly and induce a higher voltage through the larger secondary windings. The performance coils also have a much faster saturation (rise) cycle due to the improved insulation between the windings.

All Harley models use the dual fire system except for the injected Harley models. You may be able to adapt one of those (single tower).

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 01/19/06 at 07:50:30

The Nology coils I have in the book are as follows:

DUAL TENSION TOWER  ($80)

-3.0 ohms
-1.5  "
-.6    "

SINGLE SECONDARY OUTLET

-3.0   ohms  ..$92
-.3   " ohm primary   (CDI) ... $101
-.6   "  "          "  (CDI) ... $92

DUAL SECONDARY OUTLET

-3.0  ohm primary  ..$96
-.6       "       "         (CDI)  ..$96
-.3      "       "          (CDI)  ..$..?  unk

SINGLE COIL

.3 ohm SGL CDI ... $101

Ike...can you tell from this info which one, if any, would work for us?  Or do we need more detailed info?

***ADDITION:

The wire is sold by the foot, and connectors seperately, so it is a "build your own custom wire set".

The coils list for $80, 92, 96 & 101.
The wire is$3.71/ft, and connectors  are $12.64 for each end.

If anyone wants a coil and wire/connector setup I will split the markup with you, which will end up being about  15% discount.

IP Logged
bobtreat
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/19/06 at 14:00:27

Well it seems we're on to another hot topic.If I can't adapt or find a replacement coil,Nology does make a plug wire with a capacitor built in to increase the spark energy.It stores energy and addes it to the coils energy for a hotter spark.In my dennis kirk catalog the coils go for $71.99.I haven't found the plugwires singularly,maybe E-bay.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 02:14:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › nology coil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.