Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need Help With Mods, Rejet, Spacer, Mixture Screw (Read 6 times)
Jesse Cremeans
Ex Member

Need Help With Mods, Rejet, Spacer, Mixture Screw
02/15/06 at 17:26:36

Ok. Here is how i stand now. I have just purchased a HD sportster muffler, and am going to purchase a pod k&n rc-1250 like the one Greg has on his green savage.

Now i need to do the work to the carb.  but my knowledge of carbs is very limited.  I am positive i can handle the white spacer mod, but the mixture screw and the rejetting parts are still a bit fuzzy.  im thinking i want to rejet to 155, but have no clue where to start? i beleive i purchase a new jet? im just going off what i could read in posts and such so if anyone can point me in the right direction for the mixture screw mod, and the rejetting part that would help a lot, in the mean time im going to install the airfilter, muffler and do the white spacer mod.

Thanks
Jesse

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Need Help With Mods, Rejet, Spacer, Mixture Sc
Reply #1 - 02/15/06 at 18:45:41

The white spacer is the hardest part of a complete rejet. To reinstall those tiny little screws that hold the white spacer in, tape the screws to your phillips screwdriver with a bit of electrical tape. This will save you a ton of headaches.

To do the mixture screw you just drill through the cap over the screw, thread a sheetmetal screw into the hole, and pull the plug. Be very careful while drilling. Use light pressure and stop frequently. It is very easy to drill through the plug and hit the mixture screw.

The main jet is super easy. Pull off the float bowl (the bottom of the carb), unscrew the old jet, and screw in the new. Be careful not to disturb or bend the float. Go to your local dealer and order a large, round Mikuni jet from Parts Unlimited or try to get one from a Harley dealer.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 02/15/06 at 20:12:56

hang on there - if you have a '87 it came with a 155

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 02/16/06 at 05:47:14

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
hang on there - if you have a '87 it came with a 155

And (some of) the European carbs use smaller jets.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Jesse Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/16/06 at 06:30:54

hmm alright so what next.. if i have an 87 with a 155..?  im going to do the white spacer mod today hopefully.. bit chilly out but im going to pul the carb out if i can get around to it...  how about the pilot jet?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 02/16/06 at 06:43:31

Jesse Cremeans wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
hmm alright so what next.. if i have an 87 with a 155..?  im going to do the white spacer mod today hopefully.. bit chilly out but im going to pul the carb out if i can get around to it...  how about the pilot jet?

You shouldn't change the pilot jet unless you have to back out the idle mixture screw more than three turns (from all the way in).  Pull your main jet and see what it is so you know for sure.  It'll be stamped into it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Jesse Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/16/06 at 06:53:34

alright thanks guys, ill let you know what my pilot jet is and ill do the white spacer mod.. im still a little confused on the mixture screw mod though..

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 02/16/06 at 07:08:26

in addition you may not need the spacer mod if your needle has the 3 groves - then you can just move the cring clip/keeper

IP Logged
Jesse Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/16/06 at 07:10:32

hmm when i get it apart ill take pictures so you guys can see what i have and need to do?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 02/16/06 at 07:19:44

In a nutshell the adjustments are going to be the easy part - getting that '87 carb apart without strip'n the screws is going to be the hard part - and by all means replace the screws with stainless allen heads if you can them at the hardware store

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 02/16/06 at 07:24:51

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
In a nutshell the adjustments are going to be the easy part - getting that '87 carb apart without strip'n the screws is going to be the hard part - and by all means replace the screws with stainless allen heads if you can them at the hardware store

Yup.  I got them at Ace Hardware.  Please read the Carb Specs. thread in the Tech section ahead of time so you'll know what to expect.  There are really a lot of previous threads that go in depth on this but they'll require using the search tool.  There are two or three good reference posts in the Tech section though.

Jesse Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/16/06 at 08:11:15

ive taken the carb apart twice before and buying new alen head screws sounds like a great idea right about now.. ive gotten the air box out so i can put the k&n in, and i took my header off so i can paint it flat black since its chrome days ended long ago.. one question i have is.. what are the two black hoses connecting directly to the BOTTOM of the airbox, i know the one on the top front is the crankcase breather hose i beileve? but those two on the bottom i am not sure what they are.. also on the exhaust side of the bike coming right along next to the brake cable there is a cable that then turns and runs up behind the airbox. part of this cable is twisted, well the black plastic goes in a spiral fasshion and there is a tiny metal spring connecting one part of the cable to the other. well the spring has long since rusted out and is not connected anymore..  ive also discovered the bike is stuck on PRI.   so when i ran the bike last fall that cable was broken and the bike was on PRI the whole time.. what effect would these have on its performance?

thanks guys, ill check the search option and browse the tech, for some info

Can't thank you guys enough,
jesse

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 02/16/06 at 08:53:21

The hoses out the bottom of the air box are just oil drain lines - that breather line causes oil to collect in the airbox - the spring on the exhaust side connects to the stop light switch for the rear brake

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 02/16/06 at 08:57:39

The hose on the bottom of the airbox is a drain in the event that oil backs up through the breather hose.  You should remove the plug and drain it every now and then to keep from having any buildup in the airbox.

I believe the other hose is your battery vent and doesn't actually come from the airbox.

The cable you mentioned I don't have a real mental picture of and I'd have to look at the bike later to figure it out, I guess.  It may go to the brake light.

Being stuck on PRI is alway allowing fuel to flow to the carb and will flood it when it's not running.  That's something you'll need to address.  If you can't get it unstuck, you'll probably need to replace the petc0ck.  Either that or put an inline on-off valve between it and your carb.  If you do that, you have to remember to shut it off every time you shut down the engine.  I'd recommend replacing the petc0ck if you aren't able to fix it so that you'll be able to take advantage of the reserve capacity.

Jesse Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/16/06 at 09:37:53

yea im going to replace the petc0ck i have a new one coming in the mail soon.. everything is apart now, fenders off tank off battery and battery housing out, airbox out, side rails off etc. just a frame, engine, tires, belt, wires and all the electrical stuff up front is still on. i think you guys are right about the break light part.  Im going to see if the hardware store has a small spring like that.. if not maybe ill butcher an old vcr.. they usually have some springs that size.

how easy is it to get new fuel lines? both coming from the petc)ck need to be replaced.. they are cracked and leak at the connections.

Now its time to crack open the carb and see what i can do in there. ..

Oh yea, you were right about the oil drain, when i removed the airbox, sure enough oil drained out of those lines and a bit out of the bottom of the airbox.  Also the carb was flooded, and i found this out after removing it i flipped it over to look at it and got a nice flood of gas down my leg haha..

thanks again guys

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 19:04:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need Help With Mods, Rejet, Spacer, Mixture Screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.