Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Saddlebags, Big Cranks and Turn Signal Conversions (Read 27 times)
reclamations
Ex Member

Saddlebags, Big Cranks and Turn Signal Conversions
01/11/06 at 08:20:46

Last summer I purchased a set of saddlebags that were universal:

http://www.motopakluggage.com/gts90.html

"Universal" means they fit any bike, right?  They're gorgeous and well made (and were half price on EBay)But they sure don't fit well on my Muse - - unless I'm willing to have chafing on the backs of my knees or move the turn signals and figure out a way to not have the backs of the bags rub against springs, tire, or anything else.

What are other folks doing?  I want to be able to tour a bit and not everything will fit in a tankbag/backpack.

If I opt to move the turn signals, HOW do I DO that?

Itchin' to ride,

Yvonne

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Ah, those universal saddlebags ...
Reply #1 - 01/11/06 at 09:15:13

Yvonne,

After trying last summer to figure out how to tour with the Savage, I decided that I was better off with a touring MC. I did have a cloth "trunk" and was able to lash on everything I needed for a couple of camping trips, but it's kinda like asking a steer to be a bull - he's thankful for the honor (but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his  Tongue ) My mechanic put it another way - "you're trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse." I agree I took my ST on a 400 mile trip last Saturday, starting temperature was 30 deg F and felt great at the end of the day (only had to fill up once).

Anyway suzuki does make a rack for the Savage (it's around the forum somewhere). It's easy to put on and use there's a lot of trunks around including homemade, but you still need saddle bags, and a windshield and a bigger gas tank etc. etc.

You could get bungies and strap on a milk crate.  Cheesy

IP Logged
reclamations
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/11/06 at 09:25:49

I hear ya about not making a steer into a bull, but the only bike I've found that "fits" me IS the Savage.  I'm a whopping 5 foot, 1 and 1/2 inches (that half inch is important, ya know) with a 28" inseam (if I stretch) and less than 130 pounds.  

I'm not willing to sacrifice safety and muscle a larger bike (and ride on tiptoes), so I've got to work with what (little) I've been given - - and I guess I expect the same from my Savage.  

Am I asking too much?  'Dunno!

Yvonne

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/11/06 at 09:30:53

Do you have saddle bag brackets?  That is your answer if you are having trouble with them contacting the bike.  If they are pushed as far back as they will go, are they mounted as low as they can go?  This may mean mounting them under the passenger seat if you haven't done that.  If they still hit the backs of your legs you simply have too large of bags.  Mine are plenty large and I have no problems with them.  Another option you have is a sissybar bag mounted either way.  If you want it on the back though, you may have to buy the shelf attachment made for the Savage.  I think relocating the blinkers is more than you want to mess with.  If you really wanted to do it the only thing I can think of would be to remove the entire sissy bar, blinker setup.  Make a template of the holes underneath.  Then start drilling new one.  Better hope you like it when your done.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #4 - 01/11/06 at 09:45:45

Ck out the picture gallery.. There are lots of bikes with side bags to get ideas from  Smiley

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/11/06 at 09:58:32

my saddlebags are the unniversal type off ebay the fit great they end just a little past the rear seat and never had any problem with clearance of anything

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 01/11/06 at 11:12:17

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Anyway suzuki does make a rack for the Savage (it's around the forum somewhere). It's easy to put on and use there's a lot of trunks around including homemade, but you still need saddle bags, and a windshield and a bigger gas tank etc. etc.

You could get bungies and strap on a milk crate.  Cheesy

FWIW, I've got the Suzuki luggage rack on mine, along with a travel trunk I purchased from J.C. Whitney's.  It's workin' pretty good now, but I've had to do a few fixes to the rack.  It is a POS, I've had to weld it twice due to breakage, and now I've got it held together w/ u-bolts.

Sigh, I wish someone else made a luggage rack for the Savage, I could not find any alternatives to the Suzuki rack when I bought it back in '01.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 01/11/06 at 11:20:33

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
FWIW, I've got the Suzuki luggage rack on mine, along with a travel trunk I purchased from J.C. Whitney's.  It's workin' pretty good now, but I've had to do a few fixes to the rack.  It is a POS, I've had to weld it twice due to breakage, and now I've got it held together w/ u-bolts.

Sigh, I wish someone else made a luggage rack for the Savage, I could not find any alternatives to the Suzuki rack when I bought it back in '01.

Wow, that's odd to me.  My Suzuki luggage rack has been completely solid and I've had no problems.  I had a trunk from JCWhitney on it for almost quite a while and recently put a .50 cal ammo box on instead.  Eventually, it'll be the Leatherlyke bags.  They're lockable hard bags made to fit the Savage and look like leather bags.  When you install them, you relocate the turn signals but that's part of the kit.  Check out pics of Paladin's bike to see them.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 01/11/06 at 13:10:50

I think you can tour some on the Savage if you do something to fix that seat. I'm doing some seat mods this winter (raise the front and get a good pad).

I have Suzuki bags, bag guards, and luggage rack on mine. With a luggage rack you can add a T-Bag or two (one on the pillion and one on the rack). There are cheaper T-Bag styled bags on Ebay too - look for Jafrum bags.

http://www.tbags.com/products.aspx?CategoryID=2

http://www.tbags.com/products.aspx?CategoryID=3

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 01/11/06 at 13:13:07

Possibly one of the simplest ways would be to fabricate a higher sissy bar and attach bags to it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
conchscooter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/11/06 at 13:16:46

I have installed soft bags that i found on the shelf at the Suzuki dealer in Miami. I tested them off the shelf against an S40 on the showroom floor. Above all I wanted bags that fit - no moving of turn signals etc... and as a result the bags ($135) are small and not waterproof in a South Florida summer downpours. I also bought vastly expensive Suzuki bag mounts ($70) and a rear rack ($80). I put a large  box from my previous cycle on the Suzuki rack but the rack keeps  coming loose and will need struts to brace it. I commute daily 25  miles and carry waterproofs etc... in the bags and my work bag in the top box. I want hard bags and a top box that won't flap on the bumps, but there we are. New rear suspension is on my to-do list and I appreciate the suggestions I've  seen posted.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 01/11/06 at 14:28:05

reclamations wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
If I opt to move the turn signals, HOW do I DO that?

Actually quite easy.  My saddlebags came with a turn signal relocate kit which was a short piece of angle iron with holes, nuts, bolts, wire, connectors.  The angle iron bolted to the license bracket, the stock signals bolt to the angle iron and the wires slip along the same path as the tail light.  Requires an eight inch stretch which was what the extra wire and conenctors were for.  End result:

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 01/12/06 at 09:11:53

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Wow, that's odd to me.  My Suzuki luggage rack has been completely solid and I've had no problems.  I had a trunk from JCWhitney on it for almost quite a while and recently put a .50 cal ammo box on instead.

Actually, I've probably overloaded the thing on several occasions.  The last time the luggage rack broke, I had two gallons of anti-freeze and some heavy books stuffed into the top box when I hit a large, gnarly pothole.

I've owned several bikes over the years, all with luggage racks.  The Suzuki rack on my Savage is the flimsiest one I've ever owned.

Anyway, with the welds and the u-joints, she is solid now.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
reclamations
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/12/06 at 10:31:49

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Actually quite easy.  My saddlebags came with a turn signal relocate kit which was a short piece of angle iron with holes, nuts, bolts, wire, connectors.  The angle iron bolted to the license bracket, the stock signals bolt to the angle iron and the wires slip along the same path as the tail light.  Requires an eight inch stretch which was what the extra wire and conenctors were for.  End result:

http://www.andruschak.net/savage/FTP/ReLocTailLight1.jpg http://www.andruschak.net/savage/FTP/ReLocTailLight2.jpg

Neat!  I like this look! Is there a place I can get the turn signal relocation kit (since I already have the bags)?  Or the extra wire (entenders)?  What happens with the hole in the back fender once you relocate them?

I've got a watch on EBay for the saddlebag brackets ($85 retail?  You're kidding, right?) and will nab them next they appear on my radar.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 01/12/06 at 16:16:37

You can call or write Hoese Corp, P.O. Box 41, Bulverde, Texas 78163.   1-800-594-2008

They're the manufacturer and may sell the turn signal relocate kit separate.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 06:01:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebags, Big Cranks and Turn Signal Conversions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.