Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie - questions about my savage (Read 8 times)
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Newbie - questions about my savage
12/26/05 at 19:39:48

A month ago I purchased a 2000 savage with 7400 kilometres on it, and in great shape.  I have put about 1000 kms. on it, and it runs quite nicely, although it does backfire if I throttle off quickly, and when I shut off the bike.  Yet, the more familiar I get with it, the more I can anticipate and prevent the backfires for the most part - other than shutting it off.

I am the forth owner of this bike, and someone along the line put on a jardine exhaust pipe.  So, I have a few questions:

1)  How do I know if the carb needs to be jetted etc. due to the jardine exhaust, and whether any previous owner did that?  The main pipe is slightly discoloured, and the section of the jardine that attaches to the main pipe is a bit blueish.

2)  Is there any difference in getting suzuki saddle bags, an engine guard, and a windshield, as opposed to aftermarket parts in terms of how well it will fit on the savage?  
I bought the bike from a custom bike dealer, who happened to be selling it for a client, but normally sells quite radical custom bikes.  He ordered me the parts I just mentioned in his aftermarket catalogue, but the saddle bag supports are back-ordered and I'm now wondering if I should have just gone to a suzuki place and ordered stock parts.  The parts are taking forever to arrive, and I was hoping to have them on asap.

3)  I have put on a K&N oil filter, and K & N air filter on the bike too - in place of the stock ones.  Are there any concerns with using these filters?  I seem to have read here that some people changed things after putting in this filters(?)

Thanks for answering these questions.  I have enjoyed visiting this site, and getting some great info. on suzuki savages!!!!

DianeS  (from Ontario, Canada - on her 2000 savage) Grin

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: Newbie - questions about my savage
Reply #1 - 12/26/05 at 20:16:40

If you have a jardine muffler I would check your main jet if it has already been rejetted.  If you upgraded your air filter you might want to check the main jet and see if its at least a 150.  The stock size is 145 I believe.  I would try a 152.5 or a 155 main jet, half white spacer, and a 55 pilot jet.  The white spacer is filed down to half its thickness or replaced with small washers.

Do a search on white spacer or rejetting.  You'll find tons of info.

As long as the saddlebag brackets fit would be my only concern besides price.  Im not too much into engine guards or windshields personally but we made forward controls recently and it made a huge difference in legroom.  If the bike feels kind of small for your legs get highway pegs to attach to your engine guard or forward controls like me and Torque did.  If you like long rides I would also suggest a pillow gel seat for more comfort.  I hope you enjoy your savage and welcome to the forum.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 12/26/05 at 20:45:22

Hi DIane,

Welcome. I'm pretty new at this, too. I've only had my Savage a few weeks.

There's a lot of good information on the forum.  The answers to some of your questions might be found by searching the posts or looking through the thread in the tech forum.  

I might be able to shed some light on first question.  Apparently the Savages came from the factory backfiring all the way.  The carburetor was set to a lean mixture to meet emissions standards.  Unfortunately, it's so lean that in certain situations (like rolling off the throttle suddenly), that the engine misfires.  That is, the fuel does not ignite and gets exhausted without being burned.  The fuel collects in the exhaust and when the engine fires the next time, it ignites causing a backfire.  The exhaust bluing indicates the engine is running hot because of the lean mixture. From what I've read, the solution for this problem is to adjust the idle fuel mixture for a richer fuel mixture and modify a spacer on the jet needle in the carburetor.  This is described in this thread:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1104205157.

I think the Jardine exhaust is a high flow muffler.  I'm sure the K&N filter decreases resistance to airflow.  Together, the airflow through the engine should be higher than stock which will also cause a lean condition.  The solution for this is to install a larger main jet.  The previous owner may well have re-jetted the carb.  

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 12/27/05 at 03:29:42

as your reading around through the various post on white spacer and carb specs at some point you'll see a picture of the carb and the location of the brass idle mixture plug - if this plug is still in the carb which prevents setting of the low speed mixture the odds are high that it has not been rejeted or had the spacer modified.

this bit of engine tune'n is well worth doing and down right required if the intake and exhaust have been opened up with a pipe and k&n otherwise it will make a very lean condition worse leading to a extremly hot running engine - not good

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 12/27/05 at 07:30:18

Looking at the info, You are not in the US. In case like this, You should not take the numbers , that You see here like cast in stone. Most of us ride US model Savage and the carb settings are different. I am sure everybody will willingly help, but first we have to know what model is the bike so we have an info what are the stock numbers.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 12/27/05 at 09:02:07

Hi Diane,

I installed a windshield on my Savage.  I got it from J.C. Whitney.  It fits fine.

If you ever decide to put a luggage rack on your Savage, try to avoid the one Suzuki sells for the bike.  I don't know who else makes luggage racks for this bike, but the Suzuki one is flimsy.  I've had to have mine welded twice.

Enjoy the Savage, it's a great bike that's not just for beginners!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #6 - 12/27/05 at 10:27:35

Thanks for all of your info!  

I guess I'll have to take a look at the carb to see if it seems to have been jetted, like you said.  This is my very first motorcycle, so I've only had some parts off of it at this point.  Yet, I have the Clymer manual, and my husband is willing to help me too. (He's not a biker, but is handy with tools)

The bike is a 2000 LS650 P made in Japan with a Canadian sticker on it, but my registration says it's an LS6.  Not sure if the 6 is a misprint or what???

As for the saddle bags, I commute to work an hour each day, so I need something to keep my things in.  So far, I've used a backpack, and just travelled as light as possible.  

Oh, I'm only 5'3", so having enough leg room isn't an issue - I just thought the engine case guards would help protect the engine(?).  I now understand I can put higway foot rests on them too.

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/27/05 at 11:42:46

Diane .... my Jardine pipe turned blue at about 20 miles after installation. There are lots of threads about this topic and others pertaining to your questions

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 12/28/05 at 08:51:03

As an avid biker for the last 35 years of my life, but also as a relative newbie to the various biker forums, I'm a little confused as to the concern over blueing/discoloration on motorcycle exhaust headers.

I've always thought it was normal.  You should have seen the headers on my (since sold) '92 BMW R100RT.  They were a beautiful cobalt color.  They were also single walled pipes.  The main reason that some pipes stay clean is that they are double-walled pipes.  Exhaust heat will discolor chrome......not a problem.

I love the golden color of my Savage's (stock) header!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/28/05 at 12:59:55

I really don't understand this obsessing about header color.  Mine has turned a nice golden hue.  I think of it the way I would a nice meerschaum pipe.  They have no character until they change color.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/28/05 at 14:57:03

i agree I love my gold header

it sure beats black bbq paint previous owner did.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 12/28/05 at 16:23:17

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
As an avid biker for the last 35 years of my life, but also as a relative newbie to the various biker forums, I'm a little confused as to the concern over blueing/discoloration on motorcycle exhaust headers.

I've always thought it was normal.  You should have seen the headers on my (since sold) '92 BMW R100RT.  They were a beautiful cobalt color.  They were also single walled pipes.  The main reason that some pipes stay clean is that they are double-walled pipes.  Exhaust heat will discolor chrome......not a problem.

I love the golden color of my Savage's (stock) header!

But you see our header pipes are doubled walled - and the quick heavy color change - means to me at least - it is running too lean/hot - not a good thing. light blue or gold over time is not a problem.  Now the Jardine muffler is most likely going to color up no matter what you do

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 12/28/05 at 18:02:17

My header just turned a rather nice honey hue and my MAC muffler seemed to be doing well too... until I used header wrap, that is.  Then the front section of my muffler blued in a couple of weeks.  After removing the wrap, I found my header had also blued tremendously while wrapped.  That was when I blackened them.  I've since decided I really like the black look.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #13 - 01/15/06 at 17:57:39

Thanks everyone for the information!!!

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #14 - 01/15/06 at 19:40:49

DianeS. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
As for the saddle bags, I commute to work an hour each day, so I need something to keep my things in.  So far, I've used a backpack, and just travelled as light as possible.

Diane, have a look at the bags the Suzuki dealer sells for the LS650 or S40 (Suzuki brand). They're small, easy to install, and don't require moving the tail lights. You just remove the pillion seat, lay the bags over the fender, and reinstall the seat.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 05:59:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie - questions about my savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.