Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ideas on mufflers (Read 4 times)
Mark_R.
Ex Member

Ideas on mufflers
01/11/06 at 05:32:21

Hi all,
I am trying to make up my mind as to what muffler to put on my '05.  I've already done the carb work (152.5 jet, 1/2 spacer and idle) and have the K&N on order.  I just don't know which route to take with the exhaust...either the sportster or else I was considering a MAC.   I like the idea of spending next to nothing on the sportster, but at the same time I like the MAC because I assume it should bolt right on with no problems and that it would be brand new and shiny!  Any thoughts or pros and cons of both mufflers would be appreciated.  

Are these mods worth it...how dramatic of a change do they make?

Thanks,
Mark

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Ideas on mufflers
Reply #1 - 01/11/06 at 05:44:14

Putting on either of those mufflers will make a HUGE difference in the bikes performance...when done in conjunction with the carb jetting.  You will need to go back and tune/rejet the carb again, but it is well worth it.
I would also suggest going one size larger on the pilot jet.  I consider that to be the #1 jetting priority, 2nd is removing the white spacer, and then making sure the main jet is the proper size...just my opinion of course.  
Your main jet, at 152.5, may be fine as is but you need to check to be sure.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 01/11/06 at 06:26:22

IMHO, the MAC is the best looking (and sounding) of the aftermarket mufflers engineered for the Savage.  OTOH I don't care for the shorty pipe look.  I got my Fishtail off eBay for $9.95/$10 S&H.  The joint is fugly as the if you use a straight inlet muffler you need an adapter with about a 10 degree bend.  I didn't.  I used a muffler bandage instead.  Need to get a chrome cover to hide it.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 01/11/06 at 06:42:24

A sportster muffler gives a little less performance to a Savage when compaired to a MAC or other higher end exhaust system. One other factor you need to consiter is the noise level, a very loud exhaust can sound cool riding around town but on longer trips it can be a real pain for the rider. I've lost a good bit of my hearing to loud motors over the years and am trying to protect what is left. I've been using a sporty muffler for over a year and am happy with it but there are others who don't like them. Lancer is correct in saying that the rejet should be done in conjunction with the exhaust change, one without the other can cause problems. Luck with your bike

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 01/11/06 at 07:49:16

I just ordered the 3-pack trial set of these earplugs to try to preserve my hearing.  It's got one pair in each size so you can determine what works best for you and then order more if desired.

Here is one review of them.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #5 - 01/11/06 at 08:46:14

The MAC site lists their muffler for 86-87 Savage only but I assume it fits all years.  http://www.macperformance.com/store/product1.cfm?SID=3&Product_ID=669
Is this a straight bolt on using the existing bracket?  And how much louder than a stock Sportster muff is it?

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #6 - 01/11/06 at 11:10:46

the jardine is a nice muffler. check the marketplace there are some mufflers in there 8)

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 01/11/06 at 11:28:21

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
The MAC site lists their muffler for 86-87 Savage only but I assume it fits all years.  http://www.macperformance.com/store/product1.cfm?SID=3&Product_ID=669
Is this a straight bolt on using the existing bracket?  And how much louder than a stock Sportster muff is it?  

It fits my 98 just fine.  It bolts right on (though you should loosen the header while you're getting it into place) and is pretty loud.  I have no idea how it compares to the sportster for volume.  Check out the tech forum to listen to a sound clip.  It's not the best clip but I made it using a long cord on a cheap mic running from my PC through the hall and out into the garage.  At least it gives you an idea.  I also hadn't fully tuned the carb at that point but it was decent.  I recommend replacing all exhaust gaskets when you do this.  You'll be much happier with really good seals.  If you have leaks, you'll get backfiring.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 01/11/06 at 12:52:18

Mark_R. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Are these mods worth it...how dramatic of a change do they make?

They really make a HUGE difference. More acceleration, smoother running, easier starting.

I wouldn't remove the white spacer - keep the 1/2 spacer you have. My bike runs fine with the stock pilot jet.

I think the Mac muffler will be much louder than the Harley. It might give you a little extra HP too. Either one will be waaay better than the stock Suzuki muffler.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/11/06 at 14:46:14

I got one and took out the baffle.  Its loud as heck but its faster.  I kinda wished I left the baffle in.  Too late now haha.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 01/12/06 at 04:43:51

I would have trouble staying standing if I were to see one of these:

http://tailgunnerexhaust.com/performance.php

WWW   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/12/06 at 04:54:22

Wow I like it.  I like it alot hahaha.  Too bad its 450. OUCH!  It looks kinda big to mount too haha

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 01/12/06 at 05:38:56

OMG!  That's awesome!

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 01/12/06 at 08:14:50

That is an interesting twist on the theatrics of motorcycle parts sales.  

It will be interesting to see what the actual performance numbers are.  I also wonder about how long the barrels will continue to spin as the miles add up and the exhaust soot clogs up the bearing surface.

When looking at the specs of the muffler, it gave the length of it but I did not see what the diameter of the "GUN" is.  Did anyone else see what it was?

I do like the sound of it, which is very similar to the "Performance Design" muffler I have, which also uses a spiral design (first on the market several years ago) to create back pressure at low rpm and a vacuum effect at high rpm for max power.

IP Logged
Curz
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Reply #14 - 01/12/06 at 15:16:43

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
When looking at the specs of the muffler, it gave the length of it but I did not see what the diameter of the "GUN" is.  Did anyone else see what it was?

ROTARY CANON EXHAUST
SPECIFICATIONS
Manufacturer:       Tailgunner® Exhaust
Country of origin:       U.S.A.
Rotation System:       Exhaust powered turbine (patent pending)
Length / Diameter:       15.5" / 5"
Inlet Sizes:       1.75", 2", 2.25", 2.5"
Weight:       5.6 lbs
Armament:       Six rotating. 50 caliber barrels
Sound:       Authoritative report
Performance:       You bet.

You've trained your eyes to keep moving...looking for problems ahead haven't you?  You skipped right over it.

Curz....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 23:08:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ideas on mufflers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.