Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
jetting (Read 2 times)
orrin7
Ex Member

jetting
01/09/06 at 17:49:53

just put a 152.5 in my 2005 s40. my question is the jet is a smaller outside dia. than the stock but seems to seal up on the brass washer behind it and bike seems to run fine. i was wondering if anyone else has run into that situation.

put a sporty muffler , 152.5 jet (came with 145) idle mixture out two turns . and this made my bike totally different . more power , better response , no backfiring. cool sound , i love it.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: jetting
Reply #1 - 01/09/06 at 17:55:26

The small ones will work ok - the large rounds seem to fit a bit better - just don't forget the washer! (did that once)

does wake um up a bit for sure

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/09/06 at 19:11:29

So, if I buy the carb jet for my 04, should I get the 152 or the 155, or is it going to matter that much? And will the thin brass washers work as well as the shaved white spacer? And do any of the other jets need replacing at the same time, too? I've got the HD sportster muffler already, but haven't put it on yet...what I'm looking for is sort of the definitive specs to order or track down, to get the parts together and have ready when the time is right....

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/09/06 at 19:25:16

The 152.5 main worked perfectly for my bike. The washers they are talking about are under the jet. The white spacer is  under the long needle when you remove the diaphram slide. You can make the white spacer thinner by placing it on a strip of emory cloth, taking your index finger and work the spacer back and forth. I trimmed mine to 1/2 it's original thickness. I didn't change any jet other than the main jet.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 01/09/06 at 19:34:55

Most likely the 152.5 or maybe 150 depending on where you live - altitude and such - you can cut the white spacer down by about half or use a couple of washers instead of the white spacer that amount to 1/2 it's thickness - but you may need spin the washers down a little to get a good fit - might as well just sand down the spacer.  You do not need to change the pilot jet unless your out over 2 turns close to 3 turns on the mixture screw. Normally these bikes are happy at 1 3/4 - 2 turns out

Be sure and read over the carb spec doc in the tech section - while you have carb open it's a good idea to replace the soft stock machine screws on the bowl and the diaphram cover with stainless allen head - be really careful with the screws in the bottom of the slide - they're small but use a good/new phillps #1 on them with heavy presure or they'll likely strip out  

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #5 - 01/09/06 at 20:17:20

Has anyone tried using a Phillips socket on ratchet handle to get these screws out?  You can get a lot of doen force and a lot ot torque on the screws with those.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/09/06 at 20:36:48

All I can say is be careful. They are made of monkey tin metal and strip out super easy.  I would get replacement screws but I hate allen wrenches.  I remember the 1st time I did it and I saw my screw start to strip and thought of how bad it would be if it did fully.

Good luck.

Ohh and if u are messing with the jets try replacing the air filter with a k&n replacement or a pod filter.

IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/09/06 at 20:36:52

I haven't tried a phillips on a socket, although I have one.

I have stripped one of the carb screws using an impact driver.  That shouldn't have happened.  The screws are butter soft and they must be over-torquing them at the factory.

Impact driver definitely are better than ratchet handles, for this particular application.

Luckily, the screws aren't flush.  You can still wrap a pair of pliers around them. Shocked

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 01/10/06 at 07:34:45

Buy both jets as they are cheap and do a plug chop.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #9 - 01/10/06 at 16:15:22

I've had an impact driver for years, but never found it useful. Maybe mine never worked right.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 01/11/06 at 00:05:41

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I've had an impact driver for years, but never found it useful. Maybe mine never worked right.

Steve

I use mine frequently, especially on the flange mounting screw/bolts...until I changed them recently to hex-head bolts.  That sure makes for an easier change!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 01/11/06 at 07:34:19

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I use mine frequently, especially on the flange mounting screw/bolts...until I changed them recently to hex-head bolts.  That sure makes for an easier change!

Yeah, I put allens in when I mounted the Amal.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
dubb-1b
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/12/06 at 09:56:33

another option to the white spacer. go to ace hardware and they hjave a white "spacer" in the washer section that is exactley half the thickness and costs 10 cents or so. and you can keep the original for whatever reason.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 01/12/06 at 10:47:17

dubb-1b wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
another option to the white spacer. go to ace hardware and they hjave a white "spacer" in the washer section that is exactley half the thickness and costs 10 cents or so. and you can keep the original for whatever reason.

Just make sure gasoline won't dissolve it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:16:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › jetting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.