Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tire Question? (Read 2 times)
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Tire Question?
01/06/06 at 21:41:15

Since owning my savage I baoght new tires for the first time the last ones on it had fibers showing through the bald spots  :'( i have purchase two dunlops 404 they are marked tubeless and i know the savages have tubes is this a mistake or not a problem at all i m headed over to tommorow to a bike shop to have them mounted am i going to be humilated or not?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Tire Question?
Reply #1 - 01/06/06 at 21:57:43

Those tires should be fine as long as you still use tubes.  I may be old-fashioned in my thinking but I've never seen spoked rims without a tube.  While you're replacing tires, replace the tubes too.  They're not expensive and worth the peace of mind.  You can keep the old tubes as road spares instead of a patch kit..

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 01/07/06 at 02:03:56

I have a 110/70/17 and a 140/70/17 on spoked rims, both using tubes, no problems.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 01/07/06 at 11:16:58

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Those tires should be fine as long as you still use tubes.  I may be old-fashioned in my thinking but I've never seen spoked rims without a tube.  While you're replacing tires, replace the tubes too.  They're not expensive and worth the peace of mind.  You can keep the old tubes as road spares instead of a patch kit..

Hi Rob,

There are some Beemers with spoked rims that use tubeless tires.  I guess you can do these types of things when you charge what BMW does for a bike.

There may be other bikes out there that do this, I just can't remember any others off-hand.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 01/07/06 at 12:44:15

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Hi Rob,

There are some Beemers with spoked rims that use tubeless tires.  I guess you can do these types of things when you charge what BMW does for a bike.

There may be other bikes out there that do this, I just can't remember any others off-hand.

Hmm, that's interesting.  I guess maybe the spokes are attached to studs on the rim or something instead of penetrating it like normal ones.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/07/06 at 15:51:12

got my tires and wheels back and mounted on the bike no where in manuals does it say how tight to tighten the drive belt? the bike feels totally different like a different bike it turns so easy almost to easy kinda scary maybee the tires are overinflated.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 01/07/06 at 17:02:05

there's the little gauge in the tool kit to measure - but rule of thumb that works well for us is to get it tight/loose enough that you can twist it 90degs

check the presure for sure - 28-30lb/s front 32-34 rear

IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/07/06 at 17:09:28

dont have oe tool kit but will deffinetly check into the that tool like should it be hard tot wst or just comfortable

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 01/07/06 at 17:12:50

fairly easy to twist is how I set it - the gauge actually will set it tighter than that but a tad on the loose side seems better

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 01/09/06 at 12:16:01

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Hmm, that's interesting.  I guess maybe the spokes are attached to studs on the rim or something instead of penetrating it like normal ones.

Hey guys, check the spokes closely on a tubeless BMW wheel. You will notice the spokes are not centred , but on the edge of the rim. I believe the spoke nipples lie outside of the tire's bead therefore allowing the tire to be inflated without the need for a tube.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/09/06 at 14:14:19

Thanks for that image, Bentwheel.

BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/09/06 at 16:43:43

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 01/10/06 at 05:26:33

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:

I think I'll stick with tubes.

Manxman
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Reply #13 - 01/12/06 at 10:47:35

There is a company in California that will adapt motorcycle wire wheels for tubless tires:

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/wheelseal/

www.wheel-works.com

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 01/12/06 at 14:21:10

Speaking of tires ... a pal of mine just bought an old '86 Savage off of another pal of mine with the goal of resurrecting the old gal ... anyhoo, he just put some new rubber on the front; a 90/90 instead of the old stock 100/90 ... and IMHO, I think the new tire with the shorter sidewall looks incredible! How will this affect how the Savage rides and/or steers?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:02:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire Question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.