Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Muffler Question (Read 7 times)
SavageSam
Ex Member

Muffler Question
01/08/06 at 18:58:52

I just bought a 1996 Savage and it has only 2300 miles on  it.   It was sitting for two years and would not
start.  It looks like a new bike.  Really.  I removed the carb and cleaned it.  Very messy in there.   The pilot jet was completely sealed off.  The main jet was nearly as bad.  Varnish I suppose.  Got it cleaned out and back on the bike.   It fired right up but ran very lean and backfired for a few minutes then began to run pretty good.  It starts up immediately and run ok, but there is a poor thottle response in the first 1/3 or more of the throttle.  Still seems very lean in that area of throttle.  Beyound that it has plenty of power and go really good for a 650.   I read some posts on here about the spacer and clip on the jet needle as well as changing the main jet and pilot jet.   Things I am going to have to do to get rid of the flat (lean) spot in the throttle.   My question is, I see a slash cut megaphone muffler in the J C Whitney catalog that I like the looks of.   Long enough to get to the rear of the bike.  Has anyone ever tried one of these.  The part number is AGU017555.   If you have or if I decide to get one, what would be the suggested jet sizes and spacer thickness.  Or would you change the jets and just move the clip all the way down on the jet needle.   Comments really appreciated. I took the bike for little ride this afternoon and it rides and actually runs very well, except for the flat lean spot that is just off idle.
Thanks Sam

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: Muffler Question
Reply #1 - 01/08/06 at 19:27:20

I would try a 55 pilot jet (which supplies the first 1/3 of the throttle) and a 150 or 152.5 (i got a 152.5 with a pod filter and baffleless mac muffler).  From my understanding u cant adjest the needle clip unless u either buy a dynojet kit or make your own notches.
If you file your spacer down to 1/2 or 1/3 or even replace it with washers you essentially are doing the same effect.

If u decide to go with that muffler try getting a 10 degree bend so ua rent blowing exhaust over ur rear brake arm.  Most muffler places have em.

good luck and welcome to the forum

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 01/09/06 at 09:05:55

Sam,

Before you start changin' jets, you may want to dip the carb body.

My '01 spent a summer in a tool shed in Houston before I bought it.  The carb was all gummed up.  The carb body itself has some small caliber plumbing that is impossible to clean correctly using mechanical means.

I bought a gallon of Berryman Chem-Dip at Autozone.

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=146

It was less than 15 bucks IIRC.  Be sure and remove ALL rubber parts from the carb body before dipping.  Follow instructions carefully....this is nasty sh*t.

Worked for me!

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/09/06 at 09:25:21

Dipping a carb really cleans them out. I like to soak them for about 20 minutes, take the pieces out, rinse with water, then blow out with compressed air. Go ahead and change that main jet while you have the carb apart and file the white spacer to about 1/2 it's
thickness. Get some emory cloth and take your index finger on top of the spacer and rub it back and forth. I used a 152.5 main with a stock sportster muffler I bought off E-bay. My bike came with a Jardine muffler and a 155 Main jet. That muffler was a little loud for me.

IP Logged
SavageSam
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/09/06 at 09:37:21

Now we are getting somewhere.   I see a super cleaning coming up.   Yes this carb was a mess inside.
The bike runs so good, it really should not have any
flat spots, so I am going to rid it of the one it has.
I 'll pick up a cleaning kit ( I think they still come in
can with the wire basket and etc.) this week and let it
soak while we are riding this weekend.  There is a
pretty good dealer close by.   I'll give them a call to see
if they have the 152.5 and 155 mains as well as the
pilot jets.  I'll start with cutting the spacer in half and
see what kind of response that gives with the larger
pilot jet.  I know it is lean.  When I first started it up
it blued the pipe pretty bad.   Fortunately it polished
off very well.   Now that is running well, it is not
blueing the pipe.    That backfiring on let off is annoying.
Thanks for the guidance.
Sam

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 01/09/06 at 11:49:04

Savagesam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
 Or would you change the jets and just move the clip all the way down on the jet needle.  

On your 1996 you unfortunately do not have the option of enriching your slow speed circuit by adjusting the clip on the needle. Only the early models have this feature.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 01/09/06 at 14:12:14

Or those that have an aftermarket DynoJet needle installed.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:16:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.