Send Topic Print
New Tires (Read 3 times)
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
New Tires
01/02/06 at 08:01:34

Ok, I'm sure this has probably been answered and I just didn't see it when I searched for the answer here.  

What tires to you recommend for the Savage?  Nothing fancy, just dependable, good traction, and that sort of thing.  I've nearly worn out my stock tires, and probably will only have another couple of hundred of miles on them.  Any suggestions?  Or links to a thread with suggestions?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: New Tires
Reply #1 - 01/02/06 at 08:25:24

I am severely budgetaryly challenged, and just went with the  best (lowest) price I could find.  Turned out to be on ebay at the time, though I have found a couple of catalogs that are comparable.  It is a Kenda I believe.  140/90-15  $45.  The ebay store name is "TIRESCHEAP".  They have several brands.  It was indeed a new one, as advertised, and it is performing well.  I have had it up to 95 so far and the balance is perfect.  My local dealer did the mount/balance, with a new tube as well, for $34.  Very reasonable I thought.  I got this tire about 6 weeks ago.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #2 - 01/02/06 at 08:34:12

i have a chen-shing barracuda 130/90-15 for $48 at dennis kirk.i did a few burnouts and the rubber barely went down,its been really good so far.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/02/06 at 09:33:49

In my opinion, IRCs are the worst choice, so anything else is a worthy upgrade. Well, IRCs do one thing very well; leave looooong skidmarks on the road. Cheesy I went with Metzler Marathons. Had plenty of tread left on the greasy stockers but they made me nervous when I rode hard.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 01/02/06 at 10:34:02

I've had good luck with Metzlers and Dunlops. As the contact patch between you on the Savage and the road is small the best tire you can afford is the best deal. Presently using a Dunlop designed for a Honda PC on the rear (it is the correct size but higher load carrying capacity for the heavier PC has really good tread depth new) and Metzler on the front whose mate wore out a couple years ago. Be sure to plan on balancing them yourself if you mount them or have them balanced.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/02/06 at 16:42:13

Any tips on balancing?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 01/02/06 at 16:52:24

BS37066 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Any tips on balancing?

here's my tip on balancing,,,    max does a great job.   Grin

thanks again.  still wanting that supertrapp,  maybe we should get together on the carb mod's also.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 01/02/06 at 16:54:38

I have a balancer for motorcycle wheels/tires but you can make do using the axles and bearings in the wheel hub and a U shaped arrangement of wood or PCV (schedue 80 pipe) with  V notches cut in the uprights.  Even a correct sized HD cardboard box with notches cut to the same depth on opposing sides would work. Good auto parts stores will have stick on weights to use a balance material unless you can find a good source of spoke weights. I think if one could find some big size split shot for fishing it might work also.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/03/06 at 08:20:33

try www.mawonline.com good tires cheap shipping 109 usd for two dunlop 404s

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 01/03/06 at 11:17:47

S.L.

Here are some other sites to check for tires:

http://www.americanmototire.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d872.html

http://www.swmototires.com/

I haven't tried either one myself.  I get tires at my local dealer......he's got internet prices!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/03/06 at 13:07:42

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/

I got a great deal on a set of Dunlop 491's here last year.  If you aren't planning to mount/balance yourself, remember to take that cost into account when comparing.  Some bike dealers offer discounts on mounting/balancing if you buy the tires from them.  I've even heard of some doing it for free.  While that's likely to be built into the price of the tires, it might still be a better deal once all costs are considered.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:00:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.