Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Oil Question: SG, SL?
12/17/05 at 09:45:17

A question about API oil ratings:

I currently use Mobil Clean 5000 motor oil in my Savage.  FYI, it is a petro-based oil.  Yes, I'm fully aware of the advantages of synth oil, however, my strategy is to buy oil cheap and change it often.

The Mobil Clean 5000 oil label reads:  "API SM/CF, SL, SJ, SH, SG."

The SG rating is a good thing, according to my Owner's Manual.

I have bottle of TropArtic (for my cage) that reads:  "API Service SL, SJ."  Note that it does not say "SG."

Neither of the bottles features the API "Starburst."

QUESTION:  Is the TropArtic oil "worse" for my bike than the Mobil oil?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Oil Question: SG, SL?
Reply #1 - 12/17/05 at 11:55:19

Always go by the highest rating on the label. The SM rating supersedes SL; SJ, SH, and SG. Oil technology is advancing at a tremendous pace with five year old technology already being obsolete. Unfortunately motorcycle specific oil is not a high (or medium) priority for refineries. Finding an appropriate oil for an air cooled motorcycle with a traditional wet clutch is becoming more difficult every passing year. The sad part is, old technology works best for our Savage. An oil with a SG high rating is a good match for us. I can recall years ago, when it was not recommended  to use SJ oils in a motorcycle. Unfortunately we can't stop advancements so the newer upgraded ratings are what we have to deal with and not always the best solution  for our bikes. The higher API ratings generally mean more lubricious which is good for the automotive industry and not necessarily so good for us. That being said, I personally believe Mobile refines the best oil in the Industry, but they are not doing Savage owners any favours.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #2 - 12/17/05 at 16:05:44

Bentwheel is right - oil technology is advancing rapidly but not necessarily in the right direction for air-cooled motorcycles with a wet clutch and common transmission / engine lubrication.  Auto oils are evolving wityh additives for reduced friction for higher mileage (energy conserving II) that are BAD for wet clutches.  Also, the phosphorous-based anti-wear additives are being reduced to avoid harming catalytic converters but sacrificing some antiwear capabilities.  That's why JASO (Japanese Auto Standards Association) specified the "MA" standard specifically for motorcycles and this is what you need, not necessarily the best automotive oil.  Suzuki recommends the earlier SF/SG grade or SH/SJ with the MA designation.  SL and higher may not be advisable.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 12/18/05 at 01:42:26

I was under the impression there were no motorcycle specific oils later than SG.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:18:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Question: SG, SL?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.